ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

how loud do you play your ML?

Old 08-29-10, 10:24 AM
lomarica
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how loud do you play your ML?

just wondering how loud people play their music I like mine loud but do not want to damage anything.

went on a road trip this weekend and played some cd's up to about 45 on the volume control (just a few songs) still sounded great with no distortion the limiting factor seems to be the bass. On some songs that have a lot of bass I need to turn it down a bit otherwise I am getting some rattles

also I noticed with some dvd-a they seem to be recorded at a lower level so I need to turn it up more to say 50 to get it nice and loud

finally I have to remember to turn it way down before I stop a cd otherwise the radio comes on automatically and it is way too loud

thanks for any comments
Old 08-30-10, 04:53 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Usually around 15 . It sounds like you will be one of the many that will need hearing aids in your future along with being inconsiderate to the outside world. A better way would be to hook up ear phones and crank it up as much as you want.
Old 08-30-10, 05:31 AM
J13
Driver School Candidate

Depends on the conditions and the CD. The other day I was driving with all the windows and sunroof open doing 60-70 mph listening to White Zombie. Had it up to 50.

Other days with the windows closed listening to something more mild I can have it in the 20's. But the system (or maybe it's the CD) seems to play some CDs at a lower volume than others. So some may be higher than others.

I had the choice when I bought this used of getting one with the ML soundsystem or one without it. I paid the extra for the better louder sound and I do use it.

Jagtoes - Ear phones are a lot worse for your hearing than the sound system in a car. It's also possible to be respectful of others while still enjoying your system. I always turn mine down when I come to residential neighborhoods or stoplights.
Old 08-30-10, 05:58 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

normally in keep mine at about 25-30 but if im driving with the windows and sunroof open, its usually at about 40 but as mentioned when i come to a development or lights, i turn it back down to 20.
Old 08-30-10, 10:17 AM
k9shelly1
Driver

20-30 but also depends on CD, FM, or SAT choice. I usually keep it on SAT and have it at about 20-25 with great sound. Not having the other noises (i.e. traffic, planes, construction, etc.) makes it easy to keep it at that level.
Old 08-30-10, 01:47 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the highway with the ASL on, it is always loud, i put on 20. But on the road, it is more like 40. I always wonder when people says that the ML is bound to break at any moment, it is due to the volume or simply wear and tear.
Old 09-01-10, 03:38 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Low to mid 40s for classic rock.
Old 09-01-10, 05:55 AM
RichardNJ
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What would be more interesting is seeing the ages of the drivers along with the volume level they use...would put it more in perspective since the age range of ES owners is very wide.
I'm 40 and play my ML between 20-28. More often 25 though.
Old 09-01-10, 10:09 AM
k9shelly1
Driver

Originally Posted by RichardNJ
What would be more interesting is seeing the ages of the drivers along with the volume level they use...would put it more in perspective since the age range of ES owners is very wide.
I'm 40 and play my ML between 20-28. More often 25 though.
I think you're right on the money there.
Old 09-01-10, 01:02 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by k9shelly1
I think you're right on the money there.
From the looks of the numbers here the young drivers are loosing their hearing already. The bad part is when they get old they'll have to pay for their hearing aids themselves. So crank it up but please keep your windows closed.
Old 09-02-10, 04:06 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

I'm 56. Still enjoy the clarity and panning of the ML system at higher levels with the windows closed. Nothing like the Beatles Sgt Pepper songs or Gladys Knight blasting on the ML system.
Old 09-02-10, 07:01 AM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what it is worth, it depends on the source material. I have the Vais Tech for the iPod and since the output of the iPod is on the low (anemic) side I run that higher 40 (or so) than Radio or Satellite. I tried adjusting the volume on the VaisTech unit and found that there is a “setting” on it that allows for best sound, without overloading the ML system. For those with VaisTech it is found in the “simple mode”. Older CD’s are recorded at lower levels than some newer ones. Also some of the newer, more popular CD’s are recorded with very high mid-bass levels which leads to a lot of one-note “thump”. This is to make up for deficiencies in other peoples systems, not ours. This is a long way of saying I go 15-20 on radio, maybe a little higher on Satellite if the sound is good (don’t get me started on the variability of Sirius studio quality), and 40 – 45 on the VaisTech for the iPod.
Old 09-02-10, 08:37 PM
lomarica
Driver School Candidate

Default loudness of ML response

thanks for the replies and yes I always have my windows shut when I am playing it loud better sound that way and there is no way it can be annoying as the loud young kids with all their bass.
I am 46 and when I play it loud it is only for a few songs
I note that nobody mentioned overloading the ML especially for the bass so I guess that means there is no problems playing it under say 50 on the volume depending on the source

One person mentioned the Beatles SGT Peppers, couldn't agree more. For some reason the cd and music sounds just amazing. I hadn't listened to it for years and I ended up leaving it my car for weeks. The music and sound just mezmerized me.

my reference disk is Dire Straits Brother In Arms It is a SACD disk and the ML is for DVD-A so I am thinking it must be a hybrid disk anyway it sounds just perfect at about 50 on the volume. I want to try more high end disks but I have SACD at home so I really don't want to buy the DVD-A disks especially if the SACD (at least some of them) seems to work with the ML

any more comments appreciated
Old 09-03-10, 04:16 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Magical Mystery Tour - Beatles; Eagles Greatest Hits; Fleetwood Mac Greatest Hits; ZZ Top Greatest Hits all come off spectacular on the ML system.
Old 09-03-10, 05:22 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by garsarno
Magical Mystery Tour - Beatles; Eagles Greatest Hits; Fleetwood Mac Greatest Hits; ZZ Top Greatest Hits all come off spectacular on the ML system.
garsarno, excellent choice of material!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how loud do you play your ML?