ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES in Black Sapphire

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-10, 01:52 PM
HondaDrive
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ES in Black Sapphire

Any one here own an ES in black sapphire? Anyone have an opinion on the black sapphire color?

Thanks.
Old 06-19-10, 03:36 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Tough question. IMO color choice is the most subjective and personal decision in the purchase process.

From an appearance and maintenance perspecitve, keeping a clean and swirl-free finish would be a lot more work with the Black Sapphire.
Old 06-19-10, 04:11 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just picked up an 07 in that color last month. I love it - but yes, a dark color like this requires more upkeep.

I'm hoping to get the car detailed as soon as I can - it definitely needs some love.
Old 06-19-10, 04:38 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have Black Sapphire / Cashmere 2007 Ultra since 10/06. Love the color / paint is soft and scratches easily. The panorama roof gets unnoticed as it matches the dark blue-black color. Second choice was the red but very happy with this color combination. Just saw a new RX350 last week same color combo - that looks different than the standard silver or tan that seems common.
Old 06-19-10, 04:44 PM
HondaDrive
Rookie

Originally Posted by MadMax96
Just picked up an 07 in that color last month. I love it - but yes, a dark color like this requires more upkeep.

I'm hoping to get the car detailed as soon as I can - it definitely needs some love.
Glad to hear. What interior do you have? The one I looked at today was grey inside and looked sharp. I did not even realize that the car was blue until my wife mentioned it. I thought it was black. I was told that it looks almost black in the shade and very dark blue in the sun. Is that right? Do you have the wood on the steering wheel?
Old 06-19-10, 05:55 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HondaDrive
Glad to hear. What interior do you have? The one I looked at today was grey inside and looked sharp. I did not even realize that the car was blue until my wife mentioned it. I thought it was black. I was told that it looks almost black in the shade and very dark blue in the sun. Is that right? Do you have the wood on the steering wheel?
I have the light gray interior. This is the color combo I was specifically looking for. I don't really like beige interiors and the black is just too much black.

Yes - I have the wood on the steering wheel - I'm pretty sure this is a standard feature on all ES350s.

Too bad the wood is all the same on the different interior colors. I reeeeally like the dark gray wood that's on the 06+ GS when you get light gray leather.
Old 06-19-10, 06:05 PM
HondaDrive
Rookie

I have the light gray interior. This is the color combo I was specifically looking for. I don't really like beige interiors and the black is just too much black.

Yes - I have the wood on the steering wheel - I'm pretty sure this is a standard feature on all ES350s.

Too bad the wood is all the same on the different interior colors. I reeeeally like the dark gray wood that's on the 06+ GS when you get light gray leather.
I also don't really like the beige interiors. I think the grey has more of a youthful look. I also do not like the black for the same reason you said. I test drove a black sapphire today without the wood on the steering wheel and I do not think it looked as good as a similar car with the wood. The wood on the steering wheel compliments the wood on the console.
Old 06-19-10, 06:20 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The 2010's are available with two different wood trims depending on the color of the interior. One is maple and the other is walnut. No gray tho.
Old 06-19-10, 06:26 PM
HondaDrive
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The 2010's are available with two different wood trims depending on the color of the interior. One is maple and the other is walnut. No gray tho.
The maple looks like Walniut, IMO. while the walnut looks like cherry. I did not like the cherry looking one I saw today, although I have it in a highlander and it looks fine.
Old 06-19-10, 06:57 PM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

2010 Black Sapphire Pearl w/ Parchment interior...it's the color combo I wanted. Have always had Black cars....love to do auto-detailing so not a problem doing upkeep. Owned car 3 mos now and already did major detailing with Zaino prods.....clay bar, polish, sealant, finish spray...so yes they do require xtra care so thats a question you have to ask yourself or you will not be happy in few yrs w/o great care.

at nite car does or can look black in color...but as mentioned its really a personal choice one makes.
Old 06-20-10, 01:25 AM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO Black Sapphire is a great color,..almost like having two colors in one... it would have been my second color...I have obsidian/black interior...as was stated above darker colors require more maintenance in the wash/wax department.
Old 06-20-10, 08:01 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Black Sapphire is a very nice color on any Lexus
Old 06-20-10, 08:05 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Black Sapphire is a very nice color on any Lexus
and it is also a PITA to clean
Old 06-25-10, 06:15 PM
HondaDrive
Rookie

I am so glad that I got the car in Black Sapphire. It looks awesome and especially with the grey interior and the wood on the wheel.
Old 06-25-10, 08:57 PM
Timothyj
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad your happy with it. Use good wax and polish, take your time cleaning it. Have fun!

Tim

Quick Reply: ES in Black Sapphire