ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

smart key programming

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-10, 02:44 PM
alckc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smart key programming

I have a 2007 ES350. I bought an extra used smart key off ebay and took it to the dealer to get programmed. They said that they couldnt program the fob because it was for another car and said an extra fob will be $350.

Anyone know if a use fob can be zeroed out and reprogrammed.
Old 06-12-10, 08:42 AM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was in the same situation that you a few months ago, i bought 2 extra fob only from Ebay and i have one fob left from my own car.

i went to the Lexus dealer asking to do a MASTER RESET of the car computer to reset all the codes from the fob and install a new code to all of them. I watched them working on it and it took 15mins since they have to log with their computer to the main headquarter.

When installing, one of the 2 ebay fob worked, they checked the battery, everything were fine. One reason is possible that the fob is counterfed and they kept the casing as same.

Usually, the problem is when you tell them to do the master reset, they will make the mistake of doing a simple code adding and it will not work with a fob that has already an old code in it. 2 of the Lexus dealers that i went did the same mistakes, only a master technician is aware of that.

Price wise, a master reset to add a new code to all the fob regardless of the amount is TWICE as much as a simple code adding (same code).

Sometime, some dealerships will not do your Ebay fob stating that i may damage their computer, but that is simply not true, find another one that will do it.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-13-10, 01:07 PM
jkutti2000
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in DFW..dallas texas. no dealer will PROGRAM a used fob.. only new ones. I bot one from ebay.. tried it with allthe dealers and then sold it back on ebay.. the cheapest for a new fob is 160 plus 50 programming. make it 220$. range.. this is for the REMOTE fob only and not the manual cut key..
Old 06-13-10, 05:19 PM
alckc
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the input. i will call around and see if they anyone will do a master reset. also, i will price out a new fob just in case. damn, smart keys are a pain in the a**.
Old 06-13-10, 09:12 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

You can always pretend that a friend sold you this spare since he sold his car, i think that the dealerships are trying to rip us out.
Old 06-15-10, 08:29 PM
alckc
Driver School Candidate

been to 3 dealers to try to get my used (ebay) remotes programmed. told the last two service reps that they need program the remotes by a master reset rather than the add key mode. same result, they both said that they cant program the remotes and that they may be defective.

i asked if they did it by doing the master reset. they said yes, that they hook up to scanner but that the scanner did not recognize the remote.
i replied that they did a add a key method and not a reset. it fell on deaf ears.

why don't these trained techs know how to program a used remote. do they expect (or making) people to buy new remotes if they lose one.

i will probably try one more dealership. if they cant, then i will have to bite the bullet and buy a new remote. (falling into their master plan)
Old 06-15-10, 09:02 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

One thing is not trying to do the master reset and doing it and failed. Demande that you be with them when doing it to see if they doing it right. And yes, it happen to me that some Ebay fob is not working for real, probably counterfed, i had Ebay one working like a charm. At the end, i did not loose that much vs buying a new fob.
Old 06-16-10, 03:06 PM
alckc
Driver School Candidate

I took my car to a locksmith that a fellow member recommened in Alhambra (luckily, only a 20 minute drive from me). The locksmith looked-up the procedure in the guide book and did a master reset, as if all the keys were lost. The reset of the computer took about 17 minutes. Afterwards, he placed each fob next to the start button for the chime. All chimed in, including the ebay bought used fobs. Now, I have three working fobs.

He charged $70 to reset and program the extra fobs. I will be getting the key blanks this week and he quoted me $30 to do 2 key blanks.

The locksmith let me look at the instructions for the reset. There is the master reset where all keys are lost and another set of instructions where there is a working fob (add remote). Pretty simple instructions if you have the computer box. Still don't understand why the Lexus techs can't figure it out.

If interested and in the Los Angeles area : B&B Lock and Security, Alhambra, CA.

Last edited by alckc; 06-19-10 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-16-10, 04:05 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Many lexus technicians tell me that NO locksmith can program Lexuse's cars, it is exclusive to them ... so bogus. I'm happy that you got the keys done, i may try that option with one fob left that is supposively not working.
Old 02-03-11, 03:20 PM
JJKeeley
Driver School Candidate

After the dealer told me he tried and failed with my used fobs I then shared the info above about the MASTER RESET.

The dealer replied with the following message:
I have a call into a district manager from Alabama who apparently has more information on how we could possibly do the keys. I was referred to this guy by one of the engineers. None of the technicians at my dealership knows how to perform this registration because apparently its not common knowledge.

After getting the new instructions the dealer said:
The keys take on a frequency when they are initially registered. If the used keys are on a different frequency than the vehicle then the keys will not be able to be programmed, that came straight from the engineers. The technician performed the instructions that were given to us from the engineers and we were not able to program the keys.

True???
Old 03-30-13, 08:54 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

does it really take an hour for the dealer to program the smart key ? and even longer if its already be programmed to another car before ?