ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Car & Driver Comparo

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-10, 10:48 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a good one, so many manufacturers are chasing the ES. It is still holding its on after 4 yrs as was stated above. If you look at the current crop of cars from GM, Ford, and Hyundai you can see how they are copying the ES in one way of the other. I think the 07 ES really set a benchmark. The design is spot on.
Old 06-09-10, 08:09 AM
LexFather

Let us not forget the LaCrosse starts at 27k with a 4 cylinder. You have to load it up with options to get it to the ES level. I haven't driven a LaCrosse but I have sat in it and checked it out and the main plus to me was the optional rear T/Vs and the HUGE rear seat (the rear seat in the ES is large but the LaCrosse is bigger). Otherwise I didn't feel the build quality trumped the ES in anyway.

Also the Genesis, Taurus and LaCrosse are all new. Let us see how they hold up and how resale values are over time. We know the ES has a pretty amazing track record in those regards.
Old 06-09-10, 09:16 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Motorweek just tested the 4 cyl LaCrosse. It's rated at 19/30 mpg (the ES350 is 19/27). 0-60 was 9.1 seconds (in this C&D comparo the ES was 6.2 sec.).

Overall the review was favorable, especially from a pricing standpoint.
Old 02-01-11, 09:02 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Back...

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Motorweek just tested the 4 cyl LaCrosse. It's rated at 19/30 mpg (the ES350 is 19/27). 0-60 was 9.1 seconds (in this C&D comparo the ES was 6.2 sec.).

Overall the review was favorable, especially from a pricing standpoint.
Are you kidding me? 9.1s? I can see all the seniors enjoying that nice slow acceleration. Holy smokes, this thing would get smoked by every soccer mom in her minivan out there. I know it's only a 4 banger, but please...

More like Buick LaSlow...
Old 02-01-11, 11:01 AM
Jimbo68
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frank, your opinion of the Hyundai seem at odds with the people that own them. Car and Driver rates it above the Honda Accord and Subaru. Great crash test ratings and some of the best owner ratings of any car on the road. I drove a Genesis and the only thing that turned me off was what I considered excessive road noise. I think the Genesis stacks up very favorably in fit and finish with just about anything on the road. i have spoken to a few owners and they seemed very pleased with their cars. I own a 2011 ES but I feel that based on recent Toyota and Lexus recalls that I expect to be back in the garage before too long. Also own a 2003 Avalon and 2005 Sienna. They haven't been in the garage since I bought them. I also feel my Avalon is quieter than my new Lexus.
Old 02-01-11, 01:11 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree, the Hyundai's are not the little Excels that we hated so much. They've come a long way and to not give them credit now is like those naysayers back in '70s saying that Toyotas would never sell well, who would want to buy small Japanese cars? Well... plenty of people buying them and they ain't so small any more.

Where I don't give them credit is for trying to see a "luxury" vehicle under the marque. Hyundai will always complete with Toyota/Honda, not with Lexus. Until they come out with a make specific identity, separate from the parent company... majority of buyers will not take their luxury models seriously.

Gimmicks like Ipad owners manuals, coming to your house/office to sell you vehicle, plan the service online... all nice and actually out of box thinking... but it out of box thinking to try to get you to go for something that they shouldn't have to do if they only sold under a luxury make with own dealer network.

But let's get back to the Buick... for some reason, I still have problem seeing where Buick fits into the whole GM fold. Chevy is base, Caddy is "high-end", so Buick is middle range? But then what of vehicles like CTS? I guess we could equal perhaps to Chevy is Scion, Buick is Toyota, and Caddy is Lexus, but even that is not exact match. Ahhhhh... who knows.
Old 02-01-11, 02:06 PM
bdar
Driver

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Where I don't give them credit is for trying to see a "luxury" vehicle under the marque. Hyundai will always complete with Toyota/Honda, not with Lexus...
How about http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicles/2011/equus/? They're comparing it with LS, though.
Old 02-02-11, 12:21 AM
Ochasey
Driver School Candidate

Hello all currently I am in Seoul Korea Hyundai Heaven .. I would like to say that the outer shells of the Hyundai is Very nice but the paint quality is poor.. over time.. Interior doesn't compare to the Lexus quality .. the quality of leather is just cheap. I have seen the Equois ... Which is top end.. Very nice car ... on the outside.. they will just have to invest in better quality and stitching of leather inside... horse power is good.. overall smooth ride.. Hyundai has come a long way.. I never would have thought that Hyundai would have cars this nice.. I will take pictures of one here soon as I can..
Oh yeah I Can't wait to drive my 07 Es350 W/40k been a year since I last touched her.. ooohh what will I do with myself.. so much highway.. what is one to do... going to enjoy each day..