ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Cracking leather on front seat. FIX??

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-10, 04:56 AM
raviola4
Pit Crew

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts
Angry Cracking leather on front seat. FIX??

We have an 07 CPO ES350. Camel color leather seating. Actually never noticed this before and actually wondering if dealership had "doctored" up the leather on drivers seat (smoother area on seat part toward door - it's fine toward console).
In cleaning interior decided to apply some leather conditioner. All was going well till i rubbed in this particular area. I noticed darkened cracking over a few inches of this leather area. Once it dried not as noticeable but never visible previously.
This is hard to believe on a 3 year old car. I've sent a note to dealership but does anyone or has anyone ever tried to "fix" this on their own and if so where would you get product? I see numerous info on websites but hate to experiment if anyone has already done. Cracking reminds me of some old leather piece you'd see in a garage sale. In fact a "before" pic on one website looked exactly like this. Unreal.
Old 04-27-10, 06:06 AM
rx300mm
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry to know this, this is the first I have read about the cracking leather in ES350, mine is black seats, 2007 model and leather is really soft and the condition is great. I am assuming this will be covered under warrenty. The fix would be that they take the piece out and replace it. Let us know how Lexus treats this and the fix.
Old 04-27-10, 06:59 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have a 2007 ES350 with the Cashmere leather. I've taken very good care of it since new. However, it is showing wear in the very same area as yours. This is common since the left bolster of the seat gets a lot of action from getting in and out of the seat. If the dealer attempted to "fix" this with a fill material (also common) it will crack and look bad after a while. When you applied the leather conditioner and that area became temporarily darkened, this is due to a lack of leather dye. The conditioner darkens that area because the dye is very thin or gone. I have this same issue with my wife's SC430 in a few spots. The only way I know of to fix this is to re-dye the areas that need it. Try to find a professional who can do match the existing leather.
Old 04-27-10, 02:53 PM
raviola4
Pit Crew

Default Cracking leather update.

Dealership called and i'll take it over tomorrow. Said they have an outside firm handle leather related problems. Will see. Hopefully something they can fix. Will update once i know more.
Old 04-28-10, 04:57 AM
debcab
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After the fix, use Adam's Polishes Leather cleaner followed by Leather conditioner. The area that is rubbed most when getting in and out of the car wears pretty quickly, but their products are great and offer great protection. We use their entire line on our cars.
Old 04-28-10, 09:47 AM
raviola4
Pit Crew

Thumbs up Final update on leather seat cracking

Well, as they say at Staples.... "That was Easy".

Actually resolution is they're ordering a new bottom leather seat piece. Service department here in Delaware is excellent. He indicated it could appear slightly different than seat back but only other solutin is to dye it etc. Actually that may have been what was done initially. First i've notice in the 6 months of owneship (first time i've conditioned leather).
Appreciate comment as well on type of cleaner/conditioner. Only brand i had was Maquire's which i used on previous Acura. Thanks for that info. Anyway, assume that's all folks.
Old 02-22-14, 07:44 PM
nisar61ali
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crack Leather seats ES350 2010

My ES is under warranty and wen to dealer and they ordered bottom leather for both front and back for driver
Will go back in 2 weeks after service dept receive the leather