ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Trouble with navigation for time arrival

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-10, 11:54 AM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Trouble with navigation for time arrival

Well, I've brought my car to the dealer to check why my navigation timing estimation is off around 1 hour every time i set it for a long trip which i do every week for business purposes. The navigation is estimating the time to take perfectly, but is off by 1 hour when i change to Time of Arrival (too soon). On short trip, the time of arrival estimation is ok.

My dealership gave me back the car saying it is solved, but i still found that it is off. Have Navigation owner have this problem ?
Old 04-24-10, 02:03 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Sounds like a time zone issue. We had the same problem recently on a long trip. The ETA wouldn't account for the 1 +/- hour time difference when entering/leaving a different zones.

Check the manual, you can reset to the correct time zone(s).
Old 04-24-10, 02:14 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

I does make sense, but not in my case, since i travel montreal-gatineau weekly and the time zone is the same : http://www.happyzebra.com/timezones-...d-Montreal.php

What else could it be ?
Old 04-24-10, 02:19 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Make sure the time zone setting is set for your zone. It could be set incorrectly for the wrong zone, hence the 1 hour difference.

We did that with ours. We're in Central and for some unknown reason the setting was for Eastern which is a one hour difference.
Old 04-24-10, 03:27 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

thank you, i will checking all that on the manual to be sure that is on point.
Old 04-24-10, 05:31 PM
kewl
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you set the speeds for the different kinds of roads you travel...side roads, rural roads, major highways...it is those speeds that the system uses to calculate ETA. The nav system does not use actual driving speeds - directly from the speedo - to determine ETA. So if a major highway's speed is 75 and that's the speed you are traveling at...and the Nav speed for that type road is 55, then the Nav will determine ETA at 55, not 75. So natually that time will be way off.

Delve into the Nav's menu screens and you will find the one where you set the speed...
Old 04-24-10, 08:21 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

really ? Actually, the navi is giving the quickest route and i followed it to the letter. But, i will look into what you said on the manual.
Old 04-24-10, 08:24 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueshark
Well, I've brought my car to the dealer to check why my navigation timing estimation is off around 1 hour every time i set it for a long trip which i do every week for business purposes. The navigation is estimating the time to take perfectly, but is off by 1 hour when i change to Time of Arrival (too soon). On short trip, the time of arrival estimation is ok.

My dealership gave me back the car saying it is solved, but i still found that it is off. Have Navigation owner have this problem ?
Did you remember to change for DAY LIGHT SAVINGS TIME
Old 04-24-10, 09:42 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EJC
Did you remember to change for DAY LIGHT SAVINGS TIME
i'm sorry, but i don't understand what that is, may you explain ?
Old 04-25-10, 04:51 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueshark
i'm sorry, but i don't understand what that is, may you explain ?
Do you have Daylight Savings time in Canada?
Last Month we changed time in the states, clocks were adjusted forward 1 hour for Daylight Savings time.

I had a similar problem w/ my GPS a while back and remembered that I had to go into settings and change the Nav clock to Daylight Savings Time.
Old 04-25-10, 06:16 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I suspect in the future the speedo will be directly coupled with the nav to calculate actual real time updates to the trip destination. As mentioned above you need to set the various speeds for local to major highways. These are estimates so on long trips there will be a difference in overall time. I just use it for an ETA point and if I'm driving 75mph and have my nav set for 65mph then there will be a difference. The more accurate you set this the closer to the ETA you will come.
Old 04-26-10, 04:48 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't have nav on the ES, but we took a trip to Florida this winter, had the same trouble with the GARMIN, maybe something to do with the satelites, sunspots, black magic, voodoo, gremlins or something. It was telling us we would not arrive for hours and it was only a few miles away. One time it was like a 200 mile trip and it was going to take like 10 or 11 hours to get there. Never did figure it out.
Old 04-27-10, 04:32 PM
kewl
Rookie

although you didn't say which garmin unit you have I would guess the reason is the same...you don't have the different road speeds set to what they really are.
Old 04-27-10, 07:25 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

I reprogram the speed on the navi to the appropriate speeds and no fix. As for Garmin, it never let me down, that thing is so awesome that it should be in every oem navi.
Old 04-27-10, 08:00 PM
kewl
Rookie

well....darn! I guess it is time to carry the Garmin...or in my case TomTom. Sorry that idea didn't help.

Quick Reply: Trouble with navigation for time arrival