Questions about the current electronics/navigation system

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-10, 11:43 AM
boe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Questions about the current electronics/navigation system

Hello,

I have a 2001 TL currently and am considering a new TL or an ES350 (among other cars although I haven't even gone to check any out in a couple of years). The navigations is extremely important to me. So I'd like to hear from those who use their navis as much as I do.

1. Is the display panel touch- I really like that feature but thought I heard many no longer have that feature for some reason?

2. Can I download my contacts from outlook addresses?

3. Does it allow calling through BT from your phone - is it clear?

4. Does it use BR, DVD or hard drive?

5. Does it have voice recognition - if so is it reliable? Can you do navigation by contact name if it allows you store contacts? - e.g. destination Jane Smith?
Old 04-16-10, 12:30 PM
boe
Driver

Oh - one more question - every now and then they'll replace the navigation system with a new model (not just updated driving instructions or firmware). Anyone know if next years model will be the same navigation system or a new one?
Old 04-16-10, 01:21 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by boe
Hello,

I have a 2001 TL currently and am considering a new TL or an ES350 (among other cars although I haven't even gone to check any out in a couple of years). The navigations is extremely important to me. So I'd like to hear from those who use their navis as much as I do.

1. Is the display panel touch- I really like that feature but thought I heard many no longer have that feature for some reason?

2. Can I download my contacts from outlook addresses?

3. Does it allow calling through BT from your phone - is it clear?

4. Does it use BR, DVD or hard drive?

5. Does it have voice recognition - if so is it reliable? Can you do navigation by contact name if it allows you store contacts? - e.g. destination Jane Smith?
Here you go. This applies to the 2010 ES350:

1. Yes, touch screen.
2. Not sure. Others may know this answer.
3. Yes and yes. So far nice and clear.
4. Hard drive. New for 2010 so it should be around a few model years.
5. Yes so far so good on the voice recogition. Very user friendly IMO.

The e-destination is nice. You can get destinations on your home computer and then download them to the nav unit and they are there the next time you start the car.
Old 04-17-10, 03:53 AM
boe
Driver

Thanks!

I typically try to get things like NAVI when they change out the system. Most navi upgrades are just firmware but every now and then they completely replace the NAV technology. Anyone know how long the ES has had this model or when the next Navi model is coming out. I probably use my NAVI 3 times a week so it is a very very important feature to me. https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...destination.do
Old 04-17-10, 04:37 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by boe
Thanks!

I typically try to get things like NAVI when they change out the system. Most navi upgrades are just firmware but every now and then they completely replace the NAV technology. Anyone know how long the ES has had this model or when the next Navi model is coming out. I probably use my NAVI 3 times a week so it is a very very important feature to me. https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...destination.do
Yes you can download the phone contacts.
You also can select speed dial options for some.
I can do this in both my '10 IS 250 and '10 ES350

I believe you can also use the BT for MP3 devices.
I'm using a 16gb and 32gb USB stick plugged into the cars for music. They have gotten cheap and hold a ton of songs. I have them plugged in and forget about them.

A minor problem with this with the ES. The angle ofthe USB connector is a bit awkward - it sticks out horizontally and at the front of the glove box. I picked up a 6" extension cable to leave the drive plugged in with minimum interrference if you go into the glove box. If I play around in the glove I sometimes have to replug the USB.

The IS is no problem. The USB port is vertical at the back of the glove box, a nice out of the way spot. Plug, play and forget.
Old 04-17-10, 08:04 AM
boe
Driver

Thanks for the info. I'm considering the ES350 - by any chance did you consider an Acura TL as well? I'm considering both. I prefer front wheel drive, I don't think the IS comes in Front wheel otherwise I consider that as well. I know a lot of people prefer rear wheel drive as well so I'm sure they sell well, I've driven front and rear and for some reason feel more incontrol with front wheel drive.
Old 04-17-10, 09:38 AM
EJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by boe
Thanks for the info. I'm considering the ES350 - by any chance did you consider an Acura TL as well? I'm considering both. I prefer front wheel drive, I don't think the IS comes in Front wheel otherwise I consider that as well. I know a lot of people prefer rear wheel drive as well so I'm sure they sell well, I've driven front and rear and for some reason feel more incontrol with front wheel drive.
I'm not a big fan of Accuras, no particular reason.
I have a definite like for Lexus, been driving them since '91.

My IS is an AWD, love the ride. The cabin is a bit snugger than the ES. Ride is a firmer. The ES is a great ride, very comfortable but certainly not sporty handling.

Both cars are a joy to ride in but different styles. try both see which you like. When I want a real sporty ride I take the Boxster and put the top down
Old 04-17-10, 10:05 PM
boe
Driver

I test drove both cars today twice each. I like certain things on both. I definitely prefer the tighter handling and more responsive acceleration of the TL. However I prefer the looks of the Lexus, the quieter rider and the navi over the TL. If only I could combine the two to make my ultimate automobile. I think the deciding factor may be the hideous buck tooth in the front of the Acura.
Old 04-18-10, 05:22 AM
EJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by boe
I test drove both cars today twice each. I like certain things on both. I definitely prefer the tighter handling and more responsive acceleration of the TL. However I prefer the looks of the Lexus, the quieter rider and the navi over the TL. If only I could combine the two to make my ultimate automobile. I think the deciding factor may be the hideous buck tooth in the front of the Acura.
Another consideration.
What do you use the car for. Is the "user interface" going to be heavily accessed. I've discovered that as they put more entertainment options at oiur fingertips ease of access effects the level of comfort. The new on screen "file tab " system allows an easy shift from AM - FM - XM - CD -USB - Aux. The Nav system has always been good in the Lexus, the voice command system has improved (I still find the touch system quicker and not inconvenient).

If you take long jaunts up the Pacific Coast Highway you might prefer the better handling on the TL. Hell, a convertable would be even nicer.

Neither car is a slouch though
Old 04-18-10, 05:30 AM
EJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by boe
If you are refering to tighter handling compared to the ES350, that is to be expected. The ES is not a sports sedan, it is a 4 door SEDAN. And does that job admirably well. It is a family sized vehicle with decent handling and performance and super comfort. If you want a sportier ES get a '94, the current car has morphed into a different vehicle. BTW we've had a '91 ES250, '94 ES300, '02 ES300, and now '10 ES350 (my mother still drives the '94 in Florida)

Again, what is your purpose for the car? You want a big car with tighter hadling you might want to look at a GS instead of the ES, or if you don't mind the smaller size the ISx instead of the ES.
Old 04-18-10, 07:29 AM
boe
Driver

I don't like the feel of rear wheel drive so the IS isn't a good choice for me. As I said I like both cars for different reasons. At this point I'm leaning towards the ES.
Old 04-18-10, 11:17 AM
jerfitz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus does not allow anyone, even the person in the passenger seat, to reprogram a destination or search for a POI in the NAV system when the car is moving. My wife likes to do this when I am driving and vice versa. It's a pain to stop, reprogram the NAV, and restart your journey again...yuk.

You might see if the Acura allows reprogramming the NAV system when the car is moving.

I find this funny because Lexus could tie the NAV system to the, already installed, passenger seat 40 lb weight sensor and allow reprogramming the NAV system when someone is sitting the passenger seat.
Old 04-18-10, 11:29 AM
boe
Driver

Good to know - thanks. I'm surprised someone hasn't designed a hack for this yet - particularly since it can be programmed by voice.
Old 04-18-10, 12:41 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

With the 2010's you can use Destination Assit to download destinations to you while moving. But after the initial trial period (12 months) it's a subscription based service.
Old 04-18-10, 02:03 PM
EJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by boe
I don't like the feel of rear wheel drive so the IS isn't a good choice for me. As I said I like both cars for different reasons. At this point I'm leaning towards the ES.
My IS is AWD. Very happy with the road feel.
I was alot happier with the handling before I got the Porsche though

Quick Reply: Questions about the current electronics/navigation system