ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Recommendations for New Tires for ES350

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-11, 10:04 AM
smarty666
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even though our 2011 ES350 is brand new, I constantly like to plan ahead and think down the road on tire replacements when the time comes. We have the OEM michelin's on the car and they so far have been a typical mediocre OEM tire.

I was hoping to hear some suggestions or at least hear what some of you chose to replace your OEM tires with?

I am more than likely going to look for a tire that retains a pretty smooth/comfortable ride quality, but has much better handling than the OEM tires. Micheling Primacy MXV4 and Bridgestone Serenity's come to mind off the top of my head.
Old 09-18-11, 06:37 AM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by smarty666
Micheling Primacy MXV4 and Bridgestone Serenity's come to mind off the top of my head.
I've had them both and have found the MXV4s to be far superior to the Serenity's in every way but price. I was very disappointed in the Serenity's since they came so highly rated.
Old 09-19-11, 06:42 PM
retired
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Forget mochelin hype

THE ONLY TIRE TO BUY FOR THE ES350 is the GOODYEAR ASSURANCE COMFORT TRED...Dont be fooled by the others...the Goodyear is quiet, handles well in wet weather and is rated for 70,000 miles..Also is price is much cheaper than the over rated Michelin
Old 10-10-11, 11:02 AM
cavette
Driver

Turanza ELs are very soft and comfy.
Old 10-10-11, 11:09 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Went with Kumho Platinums for my '07 and it they were okay. Next replacement will be the Michelins with a treadwear warranty.
Old 10-11-11, 09:45 AM
quatman67
Driver School Candidate

Default My Two Cents

I just replaced the orginal Bridgestone Turanza that came on my '07 ES350 with Michelin Primancy MXM4. I believe this is a new tire that just came out last year. It's rated at 500 Treadwear(55,000 miles) Traction AA and Temp A. Michelin claims the tire will stop up to 29 feet shorter on wet roads. It also comes with a V speed rating which matches OEM tires. I haven't had the tires on wet roads yet, but they seem quiet and track well on dry pavement. You might want to take a look at these before you decide. You probably can't go wrong with either tire the MXM4 or MXV4. Good luck.
Old 10-19-11, 07:05 PM
kanu
Driver School Candidate

My 2007 ES350 came with Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 tires. After 62K miles on a 5-tire rotation, I replaced them with Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires in the original 215/55R17 size.

I'm now at 93K total miles, and the Primacy MXV4 tires have 9/32 tread depth remaining. Their original tread depth was 11/32. So on a linear-wear basis, they would be predicted to last about 140K miles on a 5-tire rotation. They will probably last longer than that; my experience is that tires tend to wear faster when they're new.

Aside from the relatively low tread life, I was happy with the original Energy MXV4 S8 tires. But I didn't need the V speed rating and the H-rated Primacy MXV4 tires were cheaper by $50 each, so I decided to try them.

Road noise is similar. The Primacy MXV4 tires have a little less dry traction than the Energy MXV4 S8 tires, but still entirely acceptable for their purpose. (The ES is an excellent automobile for what it is, but no one ever claimed that it is a performance sports car!)

The Primacy MXV4 tires needed to be rebalanced at 15K miles. At 16K miles after that rebalance, their new balance is still OK.

The original Energy MXV4 S8 tires held their original balance acceptably for their entire life. For $250/set less, I can put up with a rebalance or two. But the message is: if you buy the Primacy MXV4 tires, it's probably worth paying for a lifetime balance.

My driving is mostly on straight highways at 70-75 mph. YMMV.
Old 10-29-11, 02:44 PM
LuxuryNow
Driver School Candidate

I was bored at work here, literally nothing to do here waiting to go pick up a car at an airport. So I did some research if it came down to it for me I would go for the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring #1
then Michelin Primacy's #2. I have nothing but good things to say about Goodyear Eagle 1's I bought 4 years ago. So considering they cost less the Goodyears would get my vote. My 2 cents.
Old 12-17-11, 07:51 PM
RTSM
Driver

Default Turanza 235 50 17 ?

Hello Folks, I've been following this thread on tire sizes and debates on diameters and widths and have found it to be educational. I seen that the Turanza Serenity is available in a 235 50 17 that provides a much wider track while maintaining the same diameter as the 215 55 17. Has anyone tried this size yet? I sure that the lower profile may affect the ride somewhat but like others have said here I think the car needs more tire. This would be a temp tire upgrade until a few years out when I can afford a full wheel/tire package. Let me know what you all think.
Thanks....
Old 12-18-11, 08:19 AM
azncapcom
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there a difference between the H rated MXV4 Primacy and the V rated MXV4 Primacy? Other than the speed rating? Do they handle the same etc?
Old 12-18-11, 09:07 AM
ESSY
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rhudson2
I just installled the Michelin Primacy MXM4 original size on my 08 es350. Got 24 k out of the factory Michelins. the new tires are SMOOOOOOTH and quite.
Love them.
I had the MXM4's on the car I traded for the ES. When the MXMV's wear out I'll buy another set of the M4's. They are a GREAT road tire.
Old 12-18-11, 09:12 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Originally Posted by RTSM
Hello Folks, I've been following this thread on tire sizes and debates on diameters and widths and have found it to be educational. I seen that the Turanza Serenity is available in a 235 50 17 that provides a much wider track while maintaining the same diameter as the 215 55 17. Has anyone tried this size yet? I sure that the lower profile may affect the ride somewhat but like others have said here I think the car needs more tire. This would be a temp tire upgrade until a few years out when I can afford a full wheel/tire package. Let me know what you all think.
Thanks....
It is not a lower profile. Since, as you correctly state, the ODs are exactly the same (26.3") ride should not be affected. The vehicle should handle and corner better and they should fit the stock wheel with no problem. The only down side that I can see is that because of the extra rubber on the road, gas mileage will probably suffer.

However, if it were me, and I was looking for more performance and wanted to stick with an All Season tire I would go with the Continental Extreme Contact DWS or the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. In a Grand Touring Tire the Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 is also available in the 235/50/17 size.

Lou
Old 12-18-11, 12:06 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by azncapcom
Is there a difference between the H rated MXV4 Primacy and the V rated MXV4 Primacy? Other than the speed rating? Do they handle the same etc?
I asked this question @ Discount Tire when I bought the H rated MXV4 Primacy last week.

First, price of the V rated is about $100/set of 4 higher than the H rated. That would be very close to $1000 for 4.

Next, overall handling & cornering would be better with the V rated tires as the rubber compound is softer.

Last, while Discount warranties the H for 60,000 miles, I was told the V rated tires would get less than half that, maybe 25-30K miles.

For my style of driving and since the ES is not known as a great handling car, I stayed with the H rated tires, and am really pleased with them.
Old 04-04-12, 09:59 AM
ohhawk
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had the Bridgestone Serenity tires on for about 10,000 miles now. Advertised as being quieter than most but I'd say they are noisier than the OE tires that came on the car.......Goodyears if I recall correctly. I also believe they tend to flat spot when sitting for several days especially during winter season. After driving them for several miles then they seem to smooth out.

2007 ES 350
Old 04-06-12, 04:11 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
V rated Bridgestone Serenity or H rated Michelin Primacy MXV4.
This is definitely worth it

Quick Reply: Recommendations for New Tires for ES350