See attached photo.
Attached Thumbnails Gas Pedal Fix for 2007 ES350-es350-crash-70kb-.jpg  
Old 03-13-10, 03:37 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jerfitz
See attached photo.

Wow,the only part in good shape is the rear rim.
Old 03-13-10, 08:44 PM
racingt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Wow,the only part in good shape is the rear rim.
Tough rims
Old 03-13-10, 09:03 PM
Timothyj
Pole Position

If you got a recall notice, I would take it in, just to cover you butt, and if you sell it, that would look good.
Old 03-15-10, 06:58 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for posting the pics. I must say that I'm not feeling the cut pedal and how they shaved back the carpet, doesn't look too good IMO. I know I'm going to have to bring in my ES for the 5K service, but from what I've been reading, there is no way around this 'fix', there is no waiver, the ECU reprogramming I'm on onboard with, but the pedal/carpet shave I'm not..
Old 03-15-10, 07:59 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Trimming the pedal is like cutting your finger nail (but upside down). Some mechanics seem to be cutting deeper than others. Mine was not cut as deep as the pics. Also, because I have black carpet, I cannot tell if anything was done to it.
Old 03-16-10, 09:39 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Originally Posted by LexPaul
Thanks for posting the pics. I must say that I'm not feeling the cut pedal and how they shaved back the carpet, doesn't look too good IMO. I know I'm going to have to bring in my ES for the 5K service, but from what I've been reading, there is no way around this 'fix', there is no waiver, the ECU reprogramming I'm on onboard with, but the pedal/carpet shave I'm not..
I would not let one hack job disuade you from getting this done. As most others have said, I can't tell where they even touched the carpet. And I could care less what the gas pedal looks like. The only time I even look down there is when I vacuum the mats.
Old 03-16-10, 09:51 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Macklin
I would not let one hack job disuade you from getting this done. As most others have said, I can't tell where they even touched the carpet. And I could care less what the gas pedal looks like. The only time I even look down there is when I vacuum the mats.
I agree. I've had the job done on two cars. By the time I got home from the dealership it was forgotten.
Old 03-17-10, 03:42 PM
jerfitz
Pole Position

ALL,

Here is a "what if" to see if anyone knows! With regard to the sudden acceleration ECU reprogramming fix on my ES350 does anyone know how or which device sends the signal to the ECU so the brakes will override the throttle?

If Toyota/Lexus is depending on the brake light switch to signal the ECU what happens if the brake light switch fails or the brake lightbulb fails? BTW, brake light switch's are NOT the highest quality failsafe type switches.

If they are depending the brake light switch, the ECU reprogramming fix may NOT be a dependable true failsafe fix. Anyone know???
Old 03-17-10, 08:42 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

I'm resigned to getting it done, because I have to take it in for service. Perhaps it won't be as bad as I imagine. Thanks
Old 03-18-10, 04:47 AM
CJS57
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Toyota isn't so stupid to use the brake light switch or bulb to activate an important safety system. They would use sensors that are in the brake system itself probably the master cylinder that sense brake line pressure as used on the anit-lock system. The main computor will probably be the control that does the shut off. No system is perfect, but this one will be very well thought out.
Old 03-18-10, 10:27 AM
jerfitz
Pole Position

CJS57,

Thanks, good thought. The anti-lock brake line pressure sensor would be a MUCH better choice than the brake light switch.

As for Toyota being smarter, I wonder because the public is hearing so many denials just like other car companies have done in the past.

But as a friend of mine says, "not my problem," that is, except for our own personal 2007 ES350 and our safety in that specific car.

Thanks again for the reassuring thought.
Old 03-18-10, 05:43 PM
travelguy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexPaul
I'm resigned to getting it done, because I have to take it in for service. Perhaps it won't be as bad as I imagine. Thanks
LexPaul,
I wanted to assure you that the repairs are very professional. In fact my repair appears to be a new pedal and not something that was carved. In fact there is a part number line on the work order for the accelerator and the pad along with a labor charge line.
Old 03-28-10, 07:30 AM
micosan
Driver School Candidate

FWIW, if after your gas pedal was re-shaped and you’re not happy with the result you can get the new gas pedal installed for free under the recall campaign. Please read below:

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/t...ng-155713.aspx

Toyota Statement on Replacing Accelerator Pedals (March 23, 2010)
Some news accounts have misinterpreted a letter sent by Toyota to its dealers regarding an improved parts ordering process for accelerator pedals to suggest that this represents a change in Toyota’s policies regarding the remedies for its recent recalls.

Toyota is confident that the remedies it has announced to address sticking accelerator pedals and floor mat entrapment represent a comprehensive solution to these issues. However, if a customer is not satisfied with the modification to his or her repaired accelerator pedal, dealers will replace it at no charge.

This policy was included in Toyota’s Defect Information Reports (DIR) filed with NHTSA in November regarding floor mat entrapment and in February regarding sticking accelerator pedals and is also contained in the official owners letters for those recalls.
Old 03-28-10, 09:38 AM
jkutti2000
Pole Position

took my es350 2007 in for the HOSE and mat/pedal service.. they did do a wash and tank fill..

with the re programming, the car is sounding smoother! just love it. . I used to get a bit of kickback noise with the pedal earlier, and dont know. hence I consider this an improvement.. The mats . look the same to me. ie. i dont think they replaced my MATS
and BTW, i saw the CHARGES on the bill which we signed. .no cost to us but 990$ APPROX WAS THE CHARGE the DEALER invoiced LEXUS.... LOL

Quick Reply: Gas Pedal Fix for 2007 ES350