ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Transmission Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-13, 04:31 AM
Chem1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ThumperPup, I am asking the same questions. It seems odd that there is no consensus on what is the "right" thing to do for these cars.
Old 06-04-13, 11:20 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lexus will tell you it's a sealed system and should never need to be replaced.

That's a complete and total farse. All lubricative fluids will deteriorate with time. What that amount of time or mileage interval is, meh, anyone's guess.

Best bet is to get it on a lift and sample some fluid if you can, to see how it looks. It should be bright red/pink. If it's brownish, it's time to replace it. The fluid is more expensive, but not as expensive as replacing a transmission. A competent mechanic can find a way to do it right, just like Dreyfus has done in his thread about this topic. His method is spot on.

A machine flush is a TERRIBLE idea. Usually causes more problems than it solves, hence why you see them at grossly overpriced Jiffy Lubes and the like. They charge you to flush, they charge you to diagnose, and then charge you to repair. It's a revenue generator.
Old 06-04-13, 12:27 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

But if u only get a few quarts out with the pan dropped how can they get the rest or most near the rest if the fluid out ?

Last edited by ThumperPup; 06-04-13 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-04-13, 03:42 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

They will pump out a quantity and add the same quantity, kind of like dilute the old fluid with new until it is close to fresh fluid. It is the better way to do it versus flushing.
Old 06-13-13, 07:25 PM
iceblast
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my tranny fluid changed at the dealer a few months back. I would ONLY go with the dealer as they use the appropriate fluid and change method.

I have 1 more year on my powertrain, so I figured if anything went wrong after, it would be on them.
Car had 47K miles (66K) and 5 years old. The tranny 'slipped' slighty for the first few days, but after that regained all traction and is smoother than before.

Definitely a great maintenance item to do.
Old 06-14-13, 08:29 AM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fritz0sdf
I still have my doubts about any fluid being "lifetime".
It's only common sense. No fluid can last that long.
Old 06-15-13, 11:21 AM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Never changed transmission fluid on 18 year old Accord...

Originally Posted by dreyfus
Dave Mac is correct. My manual says the sealed unit doesn't require transmission fluid changes, ever.

I still have my doubts about any fluid being "lifetime".
... Although it only had 66,000 miles on it!
Old 08-09-13, 07:12 PM
MadMark
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Longevity

My ES350 is my first Lexus, but my dad had two different ones in the past. A 93 ES300 that he put 240k on before selling, and a late 90's GS300 with the 2JZ inline 6 that he put 273K on before selling. He never did change the auto transmission fluid or filter in either one, but that's not to say the previous owners didn't. He bought both of those at around 120k miles. (I hope this attests to Toyota's level of quality) As mentioned in this link https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-s...ion-fluid.html one member already has 250k on his ES350 without any transmission fluid flush. These cars hold 12 quarts of fluid, which is a lot more than the 4-5 quarts I'm more accustomed to. Also, Oil in general has become much more advanced and durable. My thought is, as long as the factory oil cooler does it job and you don't leak fluid, you shouldn't need to mess with flushing it completely or changing out 4 of the 12 quarts by dropping the pan every 30k miles. Again, these are my thoughts and past experiences, so don't burn me at the stake because I'm not telling you what to do, just asking you to think. Good cooling system + 12 quarts of ATF should equal a long life IMO as long as you drive your car in a sensible manner.
Old 08-10-13, 04:56 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It can't hurt to replace old fluid with new fluid, so long as it is the same kind.
Old 08-10-13, 09:36 AM
Universe93
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I asked my dealer about transmission fluid changes on these cars, and they also said we don't do transmission fluid changes because they are sealed and "you don't need to." He also said I would be wasting my money but they still would NOT do the job.

So I'm not sure of what to do later down the road when the mileage is around 50-60k? Not replace the fluid?

I'm making a big deal out of this one because I have kept all my cars to 200k miles with regular maintenance and want the ES to make it there also!
Old 08-10-13, 11:12 AM
iceblast
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car manual says to change the automatic transmission fluid at 72 months or 59K Miles (96 000 km). This is what I did, dealer had no issue.
Old 06-05-16, 05:12 PM
RandyIS250
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whoever thinks Trans Fluid does not need to be changed is an idiot, ALL FLUID AND OIL need to be changed in time every 15k mile or 25k km , i just changed for a lexus IS350 guy in my friend shop, the fluid was darken like Chinese Seasoning sauce mixed with sugar, he said he never changed, you want to spend 40$ for fluid or 4000$ for a transmission ? you choose !
Old 06-08-16, 08:25 AM
hisstojay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
+1 use only the recommended trans fluid. Here is some additional info on the subject.

http://www.motorweek.org/features/go...nsmission_talk
Originally Posted by garsarno
I see my local garage guy drain the transmission fluid out, drop the pan, wash the pan, change the filter and button it all back up. Add new fluid and off you go. I wouldn't think that doing this would hurt the transmission, especially if the old fluid has a very slight burnt smell to it and the car had a bunch of miles on it. I used to do my Lumina LTZ every 35,000 - 40,000 miles and its still going.
LexBob, thanks for that. Here is my curiosity or confusion: Is it to (1) flush or (2) drain the transmission fluid out (see Garsarno quote above). what actually is the proper procedure for changing the fluid, what are the pros and cons....thanks
Old 06-08-16, 08:25 PM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Recently had my mechanic do two drain and fills on my 2009 ES (6 qts total) at 80,000 mi. I have to say the shifting is smoother and I haven't had the gear hunting at the lower gear that was present previously. Also the fluid that came out was dark. I plan to do another two drain and fills in a year.

It's crazy that Lexus maintenance manual says no ATF service is required.
Old 06-08-16, 10:12 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 217 Likes on 176 Posts

My wife's maintenance schedule for her 07 ES350 states, "The transmission and transmission fluid are a completely sealed unit. Therefore, periodic checks and replacement of the transmission fluid are not required..." (pg 69) However, in the maintenance log pages, it states that every 60K miles, for the ES only if towing, replace the transmission fluid with ATF/WS or equivalent. (pp 53 & 61)

ATF, like any other oil, will not last a lifetime. All oils become contaminated from the breakdown of the moving parts they are designed to lubricate. Oils also oxidized with time. Contamination and oxidization are accelerated from the presence of moisture and a breakdown of it's lubricating and detergent additives due to exposure to heat and cold extremes.

If you have over 200K miles and have never changed your ATF, and your trany appears to function properly, consider yourself lucky. That is the exception, not the norm. This being said, I subscribe to the the school of thought not to do a full flush if the trany has over 100K miles. The detergents in new ATF may dislodge too much crud, leading to blockage and increased filter restriction. It is best to do a couple drain/refill every 5K miles or so with a filter change before doing the flush. If you do decide to do a flush, don't take it to a trany shop who are likely to use a high pressure machine to flush out the ATF - this also can dislodge too much crud.

You don't need to use WS fluid. Amsoil and Valvoline MaxLife are two reputable and proven WS replacement fluids.

It's difficult, without doing an oil analysis, to say when to flush the ATF. You can't go wrong going by the 60K recommendation by Toyota for an ES that tows.

For the Toyota products in my household, I do an ATF flush every 80K with Valvoline MaxLife, including the Tacoma and ES350 which came with WS. A retired ATF mechanic with a high reputation over on the Tacoma Forums has a lot to say about WS fluid.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...on-now.331521/
http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/141
http://www.upmpg.com/lubricationnews..._deteriorates/
https://www.quora.com/Should-you-cha...smission-fluid

Last edited by chuyrobles; 06-08-16 at 10:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Change