Defeating The Smart-Key

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-09, 07:12 PM
MonAndrew7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Defeating The Smart-Key

Hi Folks,

I just got a 2007 ES350 with 20k miles on it. It's great but I have a few tweaks I'd like to make.....

The biggest problem is the requirement that I use the SmartKey. There are a number of problems with this chief among them is the fact that my wife will now have to carry a second fob on her chain for a car she'll rarely drive, and I now need to carry my keys with me during the day (not always convenient.)

Our Ford Freestyle has a code touchpad that allows anyone with the code to open the door and grab the keys out of the glovebox and drive off. Ford's have had this for decades.....

That's what I want to do on this ES350.... So..... Would this work?

1. I purchase and install an Essex touchpad or some equivalent device....
http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/...ct_Code=KE1601

2. I leave a battery-less programmed Lexus SmartKey in the car at all times, perhaps even permanently mounted behind the dash right near the start button.

This would then give me three ways to enter and start the car.

Number one! Walk up without any key at all, hit the code, enter the car, push the button, start the car, drive off....

Number two! Walk up as usual with a SmartKey, touch the door handle, sit down, start the car.

Number three! Walk up with a mechanical key, open the door with the mech key, sit down and hit the start button....

So, what do you think? I'm really not MODIFYING anything other than installing that Essex code-pad. Everything else follows the normal functioning of the car. Any problems anticipated?

Thanks for your advice....

Andrew
Old 11-14-09, 06:25 PM
CDN_Drew
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get Lexus to program you the credit card sized version of the SmartKey.

http://sewellpartsonline.com/parts_d...d=203944&all=Y
Old 11-14-09, 08:02 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

It is what it is...Smart-key....this IMHO is way over the top....I much prefer just walking up to my car and the door opens for me...I mean I thought was a 'feature'....that is...no hassle...no fuss way of entering car and starting your car....I have never viewed it as a 'problem'...IMO touch pad is an unnecessary 'effort'...I hardly know that the key-fob is in my pocket at times....I wouldn't want to go back to a regular key and/or keypad...but whatever floats your boat...
Old 11-15-09, 07:19 PM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MonAndrew7
Hi Folks,

That's what I want to do on this ES350.... So..... Would this work?

2. I leave a battery-less programmed Lexus SmartKey in the car at all times, perhaps even permanently mounted behind the dash right near the start button.
You cannot start the car with a battery-less SmartKey.

Pete
Old 11-15-09, 07:34 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

I personally believe this is a waste of time, money, and effort considering that you could just leave your other set in the house and your wife could take it when she needs to take the car and put it back when she's finished. Imho this trying to find a fix for a problem that doesn't even exist, or that is easily resolved without the use of much brain power, and no money at all.
Old 11-17-09, 06:36 AM
jimmyford1
Driver

To my knowledge Ford/Lincoln/Mercury are the only vehicles with the touch pad. As you said, it's been around for years yet no other manufacturer sees enough value to offer it.

If you do add this aftermarket feature, understand the value of your car will take a hit. Not a problem if you plan on keeping it for many years.

You may want to put other keys (office, house, other cars) on a different key ring. They you can carry the Lexus fob easily without the bulk of other keys. Just a thought.
Old 11-17-09, 08:14 AM
Rides Low
Former Sponsor

make a necklace out of it
Old 11-18-09, 04:36 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jimmyford1
To my knowledge Ford/Lincoln/Mercury are the only vehicles with the touch pad. As you said, it's been around for years yet no other manufacturer sees enough value to offer it.
Yea, it's 2010 and Lincoln is using a touch pad on the brand new MKS. Wake up Lincoln! I'm quite certain that Ford execs still carry beepers and have 8 track tape at home.
Old 11-18-09, 09:13 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Yea, it's 2010 and Lincoln is using a touch pad on the brand new MKS. Wake up Lincoln! I'm quite certain that Ford execs still carry beepers and have 8 track tape at home.
The touchpad is integrated into the B-Pillar. It's a very nice touch, if you ask me.
Old 11-18-09, 09:25 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The Lincoln MKX (an ES350 competitor) has the touchpad and THX sound system. Might have been an option for the OP.