ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Rear Strut Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-09, 08:56 AM
Socal2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Strut Leaks

Took my 2007 ES350 to oil change on Sunday, the shop told me that the right rear strut is leaking. Fortunately the car is around 45K miles so still under warranty. Took it to Lexus on Monday, they confirmed the leak but the other 3 are fine and they will replace the leaking strut under warranty.

Anybody has the similar problem? Typical struts should last for 10 years, my concern is the other 3 would also have similar problem soon down the road, when my basic warranty for 50K miles is over.

By the way, Lexus recommend to do a wheel alignment afterward for $160. I turned it down, if it is really necessary, why shouldn't Lexus cover it?
Old 10-20-09, 09:05 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think struts should be replaced in pairs only. Regarding the alignment, they will have to do the alignment in the replacement process. Tell them no / they just want to recover some $$.
Old 11-03-09, 01:29 PM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is on going TSB for Strut replacement for every Lexus model. The TSB shows the guide lines to replacement. The TSB is a chart and depending on how far the leakage is warrants replacement. If you look at your struts and see oil or dirt stuck to them it's a good sign there leaking. Alignment afterwards is really not needed if the tech marks everything rite. They should be done in pairs but in the rear I see no issue with doing one.

The main issue to look for in 2007 models is the oil leak for the timming chain cover. I would def take a look at this before you go out warranty. Because sometimes the leak is very small. If this leaks bad after the warranty you looking at an easy 3k in labor as the engine must be pulled. If your leasing the car and you have no puddle I would just leave it alone as it is a very big repair. The IS and GS also suffer from the problem 06.
Old 11-03-09, 03:53 PM
Elex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by purebliss
There is on going TSB for Strut replacement for every Lexus model. The TSB shows the guide lines to replacement. The TSB is a chart and depending on how far the leakage is warrants replacement. If you look at your struts and see oil or dirt stuck to them it's a good sign there leaking. Alignment afterwards is really not needed if the tech marks everything rite. They should be done in pairs but in the rear I see no issue with doing one.

The main issue to look for in 2007 models is the oil leak for the timming chain cover. I would def take a look at this before you go out warranty. Because sometimes the leak is very small. If this leaks bad after the warranty you looking at an easy 3k in labor as the engine must be pulled. If your leasing the car and you have no puddle I would just leave it alone as it is a very big repair. The IS and GS also suffer from the problem 06.
Very interesting.... I guess I'm old school, but I always though you had to do an alignment after strut replacement as the ride height would be changed. If it were my car I would insist that an alignment be performed on Lexus' dime.
Old 11-09-09, 10:14 AM
rock7777
Driver School Candidate

I have 2007 es350 and i did have a strut replaced around 35k. maybe there is a problem with it.
Old 11-09-09, 03:59 PM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Add me to the list. Noticed that whenever I went over a bump with the right rear tire, it sounded really hard almost like I had a flat tire. Air pressure was fine.
After reading this post, I took a look at all my struts.
Whaddya know, right rear strut at the top all dirty and caked up with crap.
I've got almost 41k miles, but think it might have been going on for a little while.

Swell.... at least it'll be covered under warranty.
Old 06-29-12, 06:08 PM
wshen3
Driver School Candidate

Default I had two struts replaced in a little more than two years of my RX350 (2010)

I have a 2010 RX 350, with a mileage of about 10,000. Last July, when I had the second complementary service, oil leakage of the left rear strut was found and it was replaced. Starting from the last winter, I heard clunking noise from the right side when I drove on the small inclined surface. After traveling to two dealers several times, I was told that the right front strut required replacement. Today, I picked up my car and found that the driving wheel was apparently towards the left side.

Does anybody know what causes these problems? Are they just bad parts or other potential problems underlied?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 04-23-15, 10:05 AM
chazman6
Driver School Candidate

Default Rx 350 leaks

Started a week ago--- Round cylindrical object inside the coil spring next to the rear tire dripping fluid/liquid.
Not greasy and no oder. Stopped after 2 days.
Nothing to do with AC. ( hasn't been used recently)
After speaking with Service, made appointment to replace the Driver side rear Shock.
Yesterday, drove 37 miles to my Dealer only to find out they did not have the correct replacement part in stock and will have to return once the Dealer gets the part.

This morning,I find that not only has the original leak showed up again, but the passenger side is also showing a small amount of leakage .
My question is how prevalent has this issue become---
my Service Advisor states he has seen several of this problem recently.
Old 04-23-15, 03:41 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 852 Likes on 648 Posts

I think that is a common problem with ES.
I belive there is TSB for that.

How many miles?
Old 04-27-15, 05:57 PM
chazman6
Driver School Candidate

Default Leaking struts

Sorry, thought we were on a RX Thread. Anyhow must not be a Biggee, since it took a week to generate a reply for My problem. Still waiting for correct part to arrive.
Old 05-18-16, 03:21 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

thought id post this here since it doesn't seem to be on CL. yes im having my fronts done on my 07/135k km
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
shockreplacement criteria.pdf (406.6 KB, 355 views)
Old 06-13-18, 02:18 AM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Socal2
Took my 2007 ES350 to oil change on Sunday, the shop told me that the right rear strut is leaking. Fortunately the car is around 45K miles so still under warranty. Took it to Lexus on Monday, they confirmed the leak but the other 3 are fine and they will replace the leaking strut under warranty.

Anybody has tnhe similar problem? Typical struts should last for 10 years, my concern is the other 3 would also have similar problem soon down the road, when my basic warranty for 50K miles is over.

By the way, Lexus recommend to do a wheel
alignment afterward for $160. I turned it down, if it is really necessary, why shouldn't Lexus cover it?
I think typical struts don't last 1o years. A better .measurement is mileage and road conditioms.

struts can last 350k driving mostly highway my friends Corolla did it. Driving in a city like Philly with potholes and horrible road conditions can destroy struts in 30k or less.