ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Toyota/Lexus recalls 3.8 million cars

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-09, 10:34 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ordinarily, turning off the ignition would have stopped the car.

The problem was, that the driver most likely couldn't, due to the fact that the ES 350 does NOT have a key to turn. It only has a Push Button to start and turn off the engine. The engine will not turn off, unless the transmission is in Park, I believe. Remember, the car was a loaner.

Even I, who drive my wife's ES 350 did NOT know that I could turn off the engine by holding down the push button for at least 3 seconds.

But nowhere, do I read where Toyota is informing the public about how to turn off the engine.

~ Cap
Old 10-01-09, 04:22 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think what happened in connection with the incident regarding the loaner had more to do with unfamiliarity with the vehicle and panic, than with the driver's intelligence quotient.

Floormats are heavy. I was once driving a rental car and experienced a sudden acceleration as a result of the car's foormat depressing the accelerator pedal. I was lucky because my father taught me to drive with both feet, so my left foot is always prepared to brake and I did so here and quickly put the shifter into neutral. It was a scary situation because it was so unexpected and surprising. I remember feeling that I didn't have control of the car at all. I also remember how difficult it was to pull the mat off the accelerator pedal while I was in the driving position.

While it may sound impossible or implausible, this is serious stuff.

To get a better understanding, try this: With the hand brake engaged and the car on and in "Park" or "Neutral", move the floormat forward and into contact with the accelerator pedal and note how the pedal becomes depressed and the engine races. Imagine, now, that you're in motion and this happens and you don't realize it's the mat that's the cause.

Last edited by LeslieRC; 10-01-09 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-01-09, 05:50 AM
Bkwindom84
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexPaul
If the floor mat is installed properly this should not be a problem. Installing an all weather floor mat on top of an already 'in place' floor mat has been indicated as the cause for the stuck accelerator pedal. Has anyone had a problem with the accelerator getting stuck while there was no problem with the mats??? I wonder how Toyota plans to fix this problem as it does not seem to be a problem with their earlier cars...i.e. 2005 ES 330...etc...
I own a 2009 ES 350 where the all weather mats were just placed on top of the original mats by the dealer. This issue is due to lazy dealer car prep and to the unaware consumer this is a big problem that must be corrected. We wouldnt have to deal with this if Lexus exercised some due dilligence when preparing the vehicle for delivery(we deserve it we are spending money on these vehicles).
Old 10-01-09, 07:29 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have had the all weahter mats since winter of '06. On all cars, you must remove the carpet mat and replace with the all weather mats. Bought mine after we had the car, hence no placement of the all weather mat over the carpet mat. I would blame the new car prep guys as they most likely placed the mats over the carpet mats so as to show that they were included. The salesman almost never checks the car prior to the delivery. Mine had some plastic wrapping attached to the passenger side door glass and the windshield washer solvent jug was 1/4 full. I picked off the plastic during the salesman's demo and said I expected a better prepping. He said he was sorry and kept on talking.
For the clipping system for the mats, they do come apart from the rug versus non removeable in GM cars.
Old 10-02-09, 10:48 AM
static
Driver

I've read somewhere that depending on which floor mat is at issue, hitting the brakes can actually push the mat harder on the accelerator pedal. This would also make it more difficult to dislodge it while the car is in this runway condition.

If I get into trouble like this, I only want to remember one course of action to get out of it and it seems like stopping the engine would be it.

I also agree with some of the previous posts, if the mat is so far out of place that it is on top of the accelerator, I think I would notice it as soon as I started driving.

Last edited by static; 10-02-09 at 10:57 AM. Reason: correction
Old 10-02-09, 05:45 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Until this event, the local dealer turned the mats over on loaners and demos to protect the carpet on the mats. When turned over, the mat no longer fits and cannot be hooked to the floor hooks. Since this was a loaner, I wonder if this might have been the issue. If so, I would think the dealer would be liable, not Toyota.
Steve
Old 10-02-09, 07:31 PM
B Dot
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

The problem is probably pedal placement and not so much the mats. Because I have driven several cars without hooks for the mats, and the mats would slide from time to time but never cause the accel to stick
Old 10-02-09, 07:33 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Dropped my car off tonight for a service appointment tomorrow. The porter in the service lane looked at my floor mat before I even walked in the door. He told me my car was affected in the recall and that my driver's side floor mat would be taken out and placed in my trunk when I pick my car up. Then, once inside, the advisor told me the same thing.

I have the all weather Lexus floor mats, that are clipped in place. I also had the driver's side floor mat replaced in the recall 2 years ago. Even so, when I pick it up tomorrow, the mat will be in the trunk.

Will be interesting to see what the long term fix will be. But, I gotta tell you, this recall has the dealers scared to death. Never have I gotten so much attention like this in the service department over a recall.
Old 10-02-09, 08:28 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

I am at loss how the floor mat could even ride up and over a gas pedal. I only had one Lexus a 1997 LS400 where this could possibly happen. On my 2004 Prius and my 2006 RX400h it would go under the gas pedal.
Years back my wife had a 1976?? AMC Pacer had the gas pedal stick down on the floor I promptly took my palm and slammed the shift lever into neutral (Wife yelled what are you doing??? she did not know it stuck) hit the brakes and stopped the car in a lot then freed the pedal and drove it. If this car was turned off while driving the steering would lock. I know this first hand as it stalled in a corner and went up the curb where it stopped.
Old 10-03-09, 07:05 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I smell a DARWIN award comming.
Old 10-03-09, 07:17 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I too am interested to see where this recall eventually goes.

When properly installed using the floor anchor, especially with the revised shape of the driver side all-weather mat following the '07(?) recall, I don't see how the mat could go anywhere and cause a problem.
Old 10-03-09, 04:32 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I forgot to mention that I have the clear "Exact Mats" over my carpet mats and never had these mats come off the "hook" to slide up.
Old 10-04-09, 06:41 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Originally Posted by MD350
Dropped my car off tonight for a service appointment tomorrow. The porter in the service lane looked at my floor mat before I even walked in the door. He told me my car was affected in the recall and that my driver's side floor mat would be taken out and placed in my trunk when I pick my car up. Then, once inside, the advisor told me the same thing.

I have the all weather Lexus floor mats, that are clipped in place. I also had the driver's side floor mat replaced in the recall 2 years ago. Even so, when I pick it up tomorrow, the mat will be in the trunk.

Will be interesting to see what the long term fix will be. But, I gotta tell you, this recall has the dealers scared to death. Never have I gotten so much attention like this in the service department over a recall.
This is crazy! If the mat, whatever type, is properly clipped in place how can it ride up? Are my carpeted mats included in this recall? I know those suckers DO NOT move. And...it is quite a chore to get them unclipped.
Old 10-04-09, 08:07 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Originally Posted by Macklin
This is crazy! If the mat, whatever type, is properly clipped in place how can it ride up? Are my carpeted mats included in this recall? I know those suckers DO NOT move. And...it is quite a chore to get them unclipped.
Read Post No. 7 - Look at the attachment.

Lou
Old 10-05-09, 09:33 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Read Post No. 7 - Look at the attachment.

Lou
I did read it, but it only talks to mats that are not properly clipped in place. MD said his were clipped and they still pulled them out. Doesn't make sense.

Quick Reply: Toyota/Lexus recalls 3.8 million cars