ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

panoramic roof questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-09, 08:05 PM
Qx2Gx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default panoramic roof questions

Hey all, for those of you who have the panoramic roof option, I have a few questions. Firstly of course, is it worth it? Secondly, how does the roof being open in the front affect the view from the roof in the rear? And thirdly, the rear in the roof doesn't open, does it? Any pics, if you could, would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to see some close ups of the front opened/closed, from the inside/outside, view from the rear seats, etc. It seems like an intriguing option, but I'm unsure whether I will regret getting it or not. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-15-09, 08:31 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Qx2Gx
Hey all, for those of you who have the panoramic roof option, I have a few questions. Firstly of course, is it worth it? Secondly, how does the roof being open in the front affect the view from the roof in the rear? And thirdly, the rear in the roof doesn't open, does it? Any pics, if you could, would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to see some close ups of the front opened/closed, from the inside/outside, view from the rear seats, etc. It seems like an intriguing option, but I'm unsure whether I will regret getting it or not. Thanks in advance!
Hi,

Yes, I feel it is worth it. It makes your ES stand out among the rest. Especially if you pick a light color and have contrast. When open, it blocks about 25%-50% of the rear sunroof (which does not open). I don't have pictures readily available. Maybe this weekend I can download some if someone else does not beat me to it.
Old 07-16-09, 05:36 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's worth it to the back seat riders. But since I have only been in the back seat maybe three - four times in the almost 3 years we own the car, the only enjoyment I get from it is the outside appearance. Even though my car is Black Sapphire (dark blue), I still enjoy the look.
Old 07-16-09, 07:17 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you live in South, just get a normal sunroof (you're going to have the sun-screen closed all the time anyway to block the excess heat). If you live in the North get the pano roof.
Old 07-16-09, 07:56 PM
Qx2Gx
Rookie

what about a mix of the north & south...I'm based in Richmond right now but have family in the DC area...guess there's no compromise for the in between...
Old 07-16-09, 08:49 PM
tnguyen600
Driver School Candidate

It's a nice option and it makes the car look that much better. I honestly don't like the regular sunroofs on the 350. The only downside I see is that fact that its not full auto when you close it; you have to hold the switch in to close it and than when it gets within 4-6 inches from closing, it stops automatically and you have to release and re-push it....for the 2007 model at least..duno about the 2008-2009. The IS is fully auto and I like that.
Old 07-17-09, 01:28 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Qx2Gx
what about a mix of the north & south...I'm based in Richmond right now but have family in the DC area...guess there's no compromise for the in between...
I would go for it then. Get an ultra lux with this pano included. You may have to keep it closed on hot days, but at least you will have it and it will be there to wow on resale of the car.
Old 07-18-09, 06:21 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Originally Posted by miniz
I would go for it then. Get an ultra lux with this pano included. You may have to keep it closed on hot days, but at least you will have it and it will be there to wow on resale of the car.
Resale yes. Use no. I'm in VA Beach and Richmond gets a lot hotter than we do. In the summer I'm keeping my shade shut more than the roof open. But then again, I'm spoiled by the fabulous AC system in this car. And I get enough sun on the weekends as it is.

But there are so few Ultras on the road, you will be in the minority.
Old 07-22-09, 11:54 AM
bobsobi
Driver

Get the UL -- love the all-glass roof!
Old 07-22-09, 12:23 PM
safford197
Driver

I think it's worth it - less noise. I almost left Lexus over the standard version of the sun roof in the 2006 on.

The standard sun roof makes creaking noises over bumps. I had an '06 IS350 that creaked, thousands of Lexus' dollars and many trips to the dealer later I was looking to trade. I loved the new ES models that had just come out so I tried one, same creaking. Only it was very soft on a brand new one, the softer suspension might have helped too, but it was still there. Then I tried another ES, same thing, I was about to give up when I saw the Ultra, the look of the glass roof made it stand out, even on an all black car. I test drove it, no creaking - knock on wood, even to this day I love it. Get's lots of comments from friends forced to sit in the rear seats.

Plus I think it really sets the car apart from an Avalon.
Old 07-22-09, 09:43 PM
love_lexus
Driver

One sales guy in Lexus of Bellevue, WA told me that I must let him sales or trades my ES, because mine has panorama roofing. He said there are only very few ES sold with this package in 08, 09 model, and the used ES with panorama is like hot cake, so many people are looking for it now.
Everyone sit in my car was amazed by this roofing, it's so cool, if you can afford it, buy it.
Old 09-18-17, 09:02 PM
Marvin8
Driver School Candidate

Can anybody tell me if the rear glass roof has a shade like the front roof?
Old 09-19-17, 02:19 PM
kodavis
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marvin8
Can anybody tell me if the rear glass roof has a shade like the front roof?
Yes, it does. My car does not have the pano roof but I test drove one with it before buying mine and it had shades for both the front and rear panels.
Old 09-19-17, 03:25 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

For the 2018 E350 the Panorama roof will enjoy greater availability.
It is priced at only $500 over the cost of the standard single panel sunroof.
Also expect to see more of the "18 wheels as they will also be available without
buying the entire Ultra Luxury package for $880.

Another major revision for all 2018 Lexi is that the formerly 12 month trial for
the Safety Connect/Service Connect will now be 10 years! After all the feedback
regarding the Lexus Remote Start fee being $250/year...it will now be just $80!