ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Does anyone know how to adjust the headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-15, 07:17 AM
Deckard13
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Beam Adjustment

I joined this forum because of this very issue. The other posts I read about adjusting Gen 3 headlights said a #3 ten inch Phillips screwdriver is recommended. It doesn't sound like anyone on this thread who has done it encountered any issues with using the more common #2. It took me a little more research to figure out my wife's 2012ES 350 is a Gen 5.
When I brought it in to dealer for followup with purchase of wife's car for wheel balance, the mechanic blew me offf about raising the headlight adjustment. He didn't want to mess up the AFS he said. Seemed more laziness than trying to work with me. I doubt he'd live with it after driving it at night. The current setting barely illuminates your path ahead of you. Out with the screwdriver this weekend!

Don
Old 12-04-15, 08:28 AM
KMiles
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't have access to the 2012 service manual, but in the 2010 service manual the aiming procedure is very long and complex. It does give the following hint:LIGHTING: HEADLIGHT ASSEMBLY: ADJUSTMENT

HINT
It is possible that a bulb is incorrectly installed, affecting headlight aim. Bulb installation should be considered prior to performing the adjustment procedure.

It also looks like there is a service time of about 30 minutes to do the leveling. From the diagram it looks like there is a Height Control Sensor under the rear seat (it is tough to determine the exact location from the diagram). Maybe it is disconnected or defective.
Old 12-04-15, 09:34 AM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

this is the 2008 procedure which may be of some use. the height sensor on the 2008 is on the right rear strut/suspension
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
04.pdf (135.0 KB, 901 views)
The following users liked this post:
tawm (05-25-18)
Old 01-05-16, 01:48 PM
bharless
Driver School Candidate

Default help I cant find the hole.

I cant find the hole for the adjustment. I tried the one under the rubber but it doesn't seem to go anywhere. The manual shows a slightly different location but it looks like it's under the cover. Did they change the location of these things? Do I have to remove the panel?

I'm confused. The pictures don't show anything that looks like what is on my car. Some show the screwdriver going straight down other show it at an angle. I pulled the front cover and probed around all the holes I could find but never found an adjuster. It's just been too cold outside to dig deeper, so if the solution is as easy as everyone says could someone point me in the right direction.

Last edited by bharless; 01-05-16 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-09-16, 05:11 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I can't seem to find an adjuster for my 2010 system with the HID auto leveling lights. Looking down the hole under the rubber gasket shows no adjustment . I also had used an inspection camera and have not seen any adjustments. I guess I'll have to pull the plastic trim pieces and see what I can find. Seems it should be a lot simpler then it is . My other vehicles either have a screw or allen type adjustment.
Old 01-09-16, 05:56 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 851 Likes on 647 Posts

Old 01-10-16, 06:21 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Originally Posted by LjeksesES
Tried that and there is no adjustment slot . I use a 12" philips head screw driver .Moved it to various angles but still no adjustment capability. I would like to see the back side of the auto focus HID headlight system vs the halogen system. Also do you turn off the auto feature or leave it on during the adjustment. This should be an easy adjustment but maybe there is a special tool to do this or it is done electronically .
Old 01-10-16, 03:14 PM
bharless
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ehryciuk
The headlights on my ES 350 are set too low. This caused us to run over some road debris last nite because we couldn't see it in time. The owners manual is useless it shows two screws that you are supposed to turn to adjust the lights. Problem is these screws don't exist on my car.

Mine is an 08 and the screws are there they just don't look like the pics. The second screw is under the front cover so it has to come off, but the one on the fender is there. I know I couldn't find it when I was working out in the cold but did find when I put the car in a warm garage. The adjusters on mine do not look anything like the pics I've seen. The pics show wheels with a nut on the back, but mine have a hex socket. and the wheel is completely hidden in a round black plastic housing that has a shaft going forward. Once you see the mechanisms you can find the holes. Just use a fat Phillips and all should be good.
Old 01-10-16, 03:56 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Originally Posted by bharless
Mine is an 08 and the screws are there they just don't look like the pics. The second screw is under the front cover so it has to come off, but the one on the fender is there. I know I couldn't find it when I was working out in the cold but did find when I put the car in a warm garage. The adjusters on mine do not look anything like the pics I've seen. The pics show wheels with a nut on the back, but mine have a hex socket. and the wheel is completely hidden in a round black plastic housing that has a shaft going forward. Once you see the mechanisms you can find the holes. Just use a fat Phillips and all should be good.
Sounds like you have the halogen lights as I pulled all of the plastic and even using a inspection camera I couldn't see anything resembling an adjuster. No hex or philips type of adjustment. I'll try again some other day as I got to believe something is there.
Old 01-11-16, 07:49 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 217 Likes on 176 Posts

It's easier to do with the top plastic panel off. Use a 8mm socket and short extension. You may need a wobble extension on both as the battery is in the way on driver's side and coolant reservoir on passenger side. Fog lights have no obstruction; they have same type of bolt but you turn clockwise to raise the beam.

Old 01-12-16, 06:29 AM
jagtoes
Racer

My lights don't look like that. Those screws are not there with my system.
Old 01-12-16, 10:14 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Do you have factory HID?
Old 01-12-16, 01:05 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Originally Posted by LjeksesES
Do you have factory HID?

Yep , factory HID auto tracking lights. In fact I have more parts in the way and even with the plastic cover removed I cannot see those screws. I stick a screwdriver down the hole and depending on how I move it around it will stop at about 6". If I miss the spot the screwdriver drops down to the handle. I can see the drive motors for the turning and up and down but nothing to adjust the assembly. No big deal and I assume someday I will find it or someone can tell me where it is.
Old 01-12-16, 02:40 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Interesting observation there are different headlight assemblies for different years . 2007-2009 , 2010-2013 , 2014 -present. Then we know there is the Non-HID (halogen) and the HID AFS type.
Old 01-12-16, 05:02 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

So, yours is 2012 ES with factory HID/AFS?

Quick Reply: Does anyone know how to adjust the headlights