ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Buy Back offered

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-08, 01:21 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ditto the above post. People hear me arriving and ask if there is something wrong with my car. I tell them no, it's a Lexus. That's what the local Lexus service manager told me (normal fule injection noise) so that's what I tell everyone who asks.
Old 05-07-08, 10:23 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MD350
Dave, I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt. Honestly, I don't think you are experiencing what others of us are. It lasts much longer than 2 minutes, and mine now makes the noise no matter what the outside temperature is.

You seem to know a lot about cars and by reading your posts, I don't think you would find this noise acceptable on your car. You get upset just reading about it, I can't imagine what would happen if your car actually had the problem.

There are many on this forum who say their car does not have any issues, and I feel you are one of them. But, for those of us who have it, it is frustrating. It is not normal. I guess there are a few thousand others like me who have called Lexus customer service, because the operator was very well aware of the complaint. So, I guess we all need to get a life. Shame on us for wanting a $40K product that runs right.

Do you know how embarassing it is to drive through the neighborhood to get out to the main road, and your neighbors are walking their dogs and look at you drive by because your car sounds like a hoopty?

And lastly, if you think I am going to get rid of the car now and take a huge financial loss on it, you gotta be crazy. My cost per mile would be through the roof. All I want is the car fixed. Is that too much to ask? The dealer heard it, they know about it, they won't fix it. So, I live with the knock, the minor flares, and the rattles. So, YES, the car is a disappointment.
I can empathise with those who have legitimate problems. My dealer put notes in my service records regarding my concerns. They have always stood behind me and gone far above and beyond the call of duty every single time. I am confident that if my car had major problems out of warranty they would again step up and help, although I would not own a car long enough where the extended warranty runs out.

Have you tried a different dealer for service issues? I am fortunate to have a dealer which has been an Elite dealer every year since 1991, when they opened the doors.

As for the 'get a life' comment, I am frustrated that someone who will remain nameless seems to think it is impossible that there may be multiple reasons for the cold engine noises. Calling this an engine knock is a gross misnomer.

I personally may not buy a fourth consecutive ES, my next car may not even be a Lexus. The lack of functionality of the nav and other features, and the uselessness of the voice recognition, will at least force me to take a good look at an Acura when I next get the new car urge. I drove an Infiniti M35 loaner car recently (plan to share my thoughts on that in a new thread in the near future), and can only say that it is primitive in many ways compared to the ES, although they have 'borrowed' much of the technology, it is not implemented well.

Good luck to you all...
Old 05-08-08, 08:42 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

I would try another dealer, but Lexus won't honor warranty claims for this issue anymore. It is deemed normal operation. I guess they had so many complaints, they were getting billed for a high amount of labor hours and those claims are now denied. So, dealers are not willing to do anything about it.
Old 05-08-08, 09:47 AM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MD350
I would try another dealer, but Lexus won't honor warranty claims for this issue anymore. It is deemed normal operation. I guess they had so many complaints, they were getting billed for a high amount of labor hours and those claims are now denied. So, dealers are not willing to do anything about it.
I think you are right!

My service director told me that Lexus considers this cold start noise a "normal operating characteristic" of the car. My service director also told me that this cold start noise is really because of inaccurate piston tolerances within the engine. Some engines are worse than others. Unfortunately as a dealer, he can't do anyting about it because Lexus Corp considers this knocking noise to be "normal".
Old 05-08-08, 11:08 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

This all comes to a complete circle as to why I am upset with Lexus. Fix the freakin' car!! It is not normal!
Old 05-08-08, 04:19 PM
sfuad
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I purchased CPO 05 LS 430 today. I would be returning my ES in next few weeks. I would be picking up my vehicle next week. I appreciate help of some members who guided me to persue buyback. Without your help and guidance, I would have never thought about lemon. Even today, at 77 degrees heat, with windows rolled up and AC running, you can hear loud cold engine noise.
I am glad to be out of this deal / purchase without any financial loss.
Old 05-08-08, 04:30 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Congrats! Glad it worked out in your favor.
Old 05-08-08, 08:07 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on your 05 LS430 CPO purchase!!

You'll soon forget all about the ES after driving the LS for just a few days. It's probably going to be everything you wanted the ES to be, but a whole lot better. Did you get the ML\Nav in the LS?
Old 05-08-08, 10:39 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah...congrats! You will love the LS. The attention to detail is just amazing, and the car is engineered to be smooth and fast. The LS460 is a fairly big car but it handles like a much smaller car. When I hit 80 mph, it feels like I'm standing still. Enjoy!
Old 05-09-08, 07:36 PM
sfuad
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by wanderer99
Congrats on your 05 LS430 CPO purchase!!

You'll soon forget all about the ES after driving the LS for just a few days. It's probably going to be everything you wanted the ES to be, but a whole lot better. Did you get the ML\Nav in the LS?
Yes it is with Ml & Nav.
Old 05-09-08, 10:50 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With ML and Nav you'll definitely love the LS. I think you'll also find that the LS is almost over-engineered in many ways. The ES by comparison is rather under-engineered to be honest IMO.