ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Annyoying clicking noise in the dash.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-08, 07:28 AM
rhudson2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annyoying clicking noise in the dash.

I took my car to the dealer last week to repair a clicking noise coming from the juncture of the right front windshield and dash. They said they added felt to the speaker grill and fixed it. NOT SO, still makes the noise, it is better though seems to get better when the weather is warmer. Does anyone know how to get the speaker grill off without damaging it. If so I will try to address the thing myself. Thanks for any help.
Old 03-24-08, 08:04 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure it's the speaker grill?

Reason I ask is had similar noise and fixed it myself on driver side by wedging one of the wider rubber bands between A pillar and dash area as far forward as possible. Use blunt-back edge of typical butter knife inside band loop and wedge downward and retract butter knife leaving double thickness of band to wedge and quiet it, if it works just carefully cut off excess. Might solve it for you.
Old 03-24-08, 08:26 AM
rhudson2
Driver School Candidate

Im not sure where it is exactly but I will give your suggestion a try. Thanks for the help I hope it will work.... drives me crazy !
Old 03-24-08, 01:03 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

I'm pretty sure my center front speaker housing squeaks too. But I'm almost positive other places are creaking. I need to have the felt added, but there's also a TSB on the windshield creaking (I think MD350 told me about it). That's in addition to the dash creaking. You might have them check out the windshield.
Old 03-24-08, 06:13 PM
jgtile
Driver

I have that "creaking" also! It mainly happens when it is cold out and I hit a bump. ES350Bob may have something there since that is where my "creak" or "clicking" comes from most of the time. (I even can make it creak if I push my knee into the dash a little...I don't do it hard cause I don't want to create another creak). If the dealer doesn't fix it (I am close to my 5000 mile check), I may try the ES350Bob fix. Hey rhudson2, let us know if it works!!!
Old 03-25-08, 04:00 AM
ESDragon
Driver

Last week, I took my car in to the dealership to fix a noise from the dash. It is like a combination of rattle and clicking and it seems to be louder during colder weather. Anyway, they came back saying it was the sunroof. I didn't believe since the noise was clearing coming from the dash, but funny thing was the noise is no longer there. Have they insulated the sunroof yet? Worth a shot.
Old 03-25-08, 06:38 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a TSIB to have the dash removed and aligned with felt. My rattle was around the center speaker above the vents. The TSIB did the trick.

As to the tick noise at the corner of the windshield, there is a TSIB on that as well. I have the tick, but the dealer did not hear it and did not perform the TSIB. I don't have time to keep running the car back, so I am living with that one.

But, insist that your dealer check the TSIB dash rattles. It seems to be a timely and long TSIB from what I have heard, so your dealer may not want to dig into it.
Old 03-25-08, 07:09 AM
paintrain
Lead Lap

if its really making you mad and you have the time, buy two or three sheets of hushmat and do the whole front dash. it might take a while, but it wouldnt hurt
Old 03-25-08, 07:09 AM
jgtile
Driver

Thanks MD350. But for what I paid...the dealer better fix it! The dealer I have is an Elite rated dealer so hopefully that means something like they will take care of me. At least I hope! But if they dont, I may have to try the ES350Bob fix.
Old 03-25-08, 11:00 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, get the service manager involved or take it to another Lexus dealer if there is one close by. Another option is to call Lexus 800 customer service. I called them about my warped rotors, they called my dealer, and WAH LAH....new rotors!

My dash has actually been removed and lined with felt twice. Once when I first got the car in certain spots prior to the TSIB. The 2nd time, they aligned the whole thing. It is a common problem, but time consuming.

Good luck
Old 03-25-08, 11:50 AM
AccElan01
Rookie

I have a creak near the ashtray. If I push on the plastic where my right knee is it will go away until another day. At first it was annoying but it has become my friend. It is deafeningly quiet without it.
Old 03-25-08, 11:54 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AccElan01
I have a creak near the ashtray. If I push on the plastic where my right knee is it will go away until another day. At first it was annoying but it has become my friend. It is deafeningly quiet without it.
I know what you mean. That is where my first creak was, and also if you pushed on the wood trim around the volume dial for the radio. When my car was new back in Sept 06, the dealer lined that area with felt and it has been great ever since. The 2nd time, it was the rattle at the top of the dash near the center speaker.

Nevertheless, if the TSIB is performed, you should never have any rattles anywhere inside the dash.
Old 03-26-08, 06:13 PM
Druha
Pole Position

mine seems to be somewhere above where the sunglass holder is / front of sunroof

if i push on the felt part infront of the sunroof where the sunglass holder is it stops..anyone else? I hope they fix it the first time and I dont have to replicate the sound as it comes and goes, mostly over bumps
Old 04-02-08, 10:10 AM
rhudson2
Driver School Candidate

Tried the rubber band fix. Better but still noisy. Any more ideas ?
Old 04-02-08, 02:17 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

I'd take it in and have the TSIB performed.

Quick Reply: Annyoying clicking noise in the dash.