ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

check VSC and engine light on dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-08, 05:28 PM
YotaCarFan
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toneman
Slightly OT--when the vehicle runs its "key-off" check five hours after the vehicle has been turned off...is it running the check even though the vehicle is still off, or does it run the check the first time the vehicle is turned on after having been off for five hours?

What happens if it's unable to run its key-off check for whatever reason...does it spit out some kind of check engine code?
The check is performed while the engine is off. If you were to sit in your garage for 5 hrs after shutting off your car, you'd hear a motor sound for a few moments as the evaporative emissions check was performed. It's basically checking the gas tank and related tubes, pieces, parts, etc., for leaks. If the check fails, you get a MIL.
Old 02-25-08, 06:01 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sense
the dealer told to me today and he was not know the cause of these code

and he told to me send that to lexus in Japan and then call me about these

any body have a idea about these
They must be unique codes and hope you post what they were about when they tell you.
Old 02-25-08, 09:33 AM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

P2241 - Oxygen (A/F) Sensor Pumping Current Circuit Low (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
B1421 - Solar Sensor Circuit (Passenger Side)
B1424 - Solar Sensor Circuit (Driver Side)

The last two codes are normal. Every vehicle that comes inside of a shop sets these codes due to the lighting indoors. They will automatically clear as soon as you drive the vehicle outside. They also will not set any type of malfunction light.

The first code relates to the Bank 2 A/F ratio sensor. It would require someone with a scan tool and a datalist to know if its the sensor itself (more than likely the cause), or something else.

Chances are its just a faulty air/fuel ratio sensor.

Originally Posted by YotaCarFan
The check is performed while the engine is off. If you were to sit in your garage for 5 hrs after shutting off your car, you'd hear a motor sound for a few moments as the evaporative emissions check was performed. It's basically checking the gas tank and related tubes, pieces, parts, etc., for leaks. If the check fails, you get a MIL.

This is correct. The previous models relied on engine vacuum, this system uses its own pump, and does the check with the car off. Every time you shut the vehicle off it starts a timer. After 5 hours, it runs. If you leave the vehicle sitting all day at work and don't drive it to lunch, it runs the check.
Old 03-09-08, 12:18 PM
sense
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onepointon
P2241 - Oxygen (A/F) Sensor Pumping Current Circuit Low (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
B1421 - Solar Sensor Circuit (Passenger Side)
B1424 - Solar Sensor Circuit (Driver Side)

The last two codes are normal. Every vehicle that comes inside of a shop sets these codes due to the lighting indoors. They will automatically clear as soon as you drive the vehicle outside. They also will not set any type of malfunction light.

The first code relates to the Bank 2 A/F ratio sensor. It would require someone with a scan tool and a datalist to know if its the sensor itself (more than likely the cause), or something else.

Chances are its just a faulty air/fuel ratio sensor.

exactly

the dealer tell me about O2 sensor and it is repalced

but today when my car recieve gasoline the light repair about few second

and disappeare i called my dealer and he toldl me the computer make re-adjustment . 'But i not belive him''

Finally he told me if the light appeare agian
for long time the car will replace
Old 12-17-10, 12:30 PM
kdouglas39
Rookie

Question Check VSC and engine light codes: P0761 and P2714

I have 2006 GS 300. Check Engine and VSC Light came on after car wasn't shifting properly. The codes are P0761 and P2714. Dealer claimed transmission fluid was low said they drain and refilled the fluid. Trnsmission does not have a leak, so I didnt understand why they claimed the fluid was low. Car ran fine for a day then issue came back. The codes refer to shift selenoids. Has any one experienced this issue and what did it take to fix it?

Thanks KD
Old 02-18-14, 08:33 AM
rjfrediani
Driver School Candidate

Default VSC message, check engine light and VSC symbol

I have a 2007 ES 350 and subject fault indicators came on. The first time happened about 2 months ago and I took it to my local mechanic. He showed me the codes from the car's computer indicating misfires from 1, 3 and 5 cylinders. Other info led him to replace ignition coils. As far as I know that's all he did. Didn't make much sense with respect to VSC but the indicators were off.

Yesterday the same lights came on. I read the forum; removed and replaced the gas cap, tight. The fault indicators went out. Hmmm.
Old 03-11-14, 04:33 PM
MSBRIGHT
Driver School Candidate

Default check VSC and engine light on dashboard

I had this same problem which I think I came from me putting 87 gas in my car one morning and not paying attention to which bottom I press. I tried the octane boost and gas treatment and NOTHING worked. Finally I took it to my mechanic and he check the codes and told me it was the ignition coil which my car has 6 coils but thank god I only had to replace 2 off them.
Old 03-17-14, 06:20 AM
rjfrediani
Driver School Candidate

Default Light is on again

Well, I don't know why the fault indicators went out temporarily when I replaced the gas cap but they came on again, would not go out and I felt the misfiring get increasingly worse. Sure enough, when my mechanic checked the codes they indicated misfiring on number 2, so I replaced all three coils on that side.
Old 03-17-14, 06:28 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by MSBRIGHT
I had this same problem which I think I came from me putting 87 gas in my car one morning and not paying attention to which bottom I press. I tried the octane boost and gas treatment and NOTHING worked. Finally I took it to my mechanic and he check the codes and told me it was the ignition coil which my car has 6 coils but thank god I only had to replace 2 off them.
Glad you got the problem taken care of.

Putting regular unleaded in the car wouldn't cause the problem. 2011-2014 ES350's with the same engine recommend regular and about 6 Toyota models with the same engine recommend regular.
Old 06-09-14, 03:33 PM
tomokc
Driver School Candidate

My 2007 ES350 appears to have suffered a catastrophic failure Friday evening after the "Check VSC" warning was displayed along with caution lights. I'm still waiting a conclusive report from the dealership tomorrow, but if you see this display STOP THE CAR. Here's the story in brief:

- On the highway Friday evening around 10:00 p.m. the A/C light started blinking. I turned the compressor off, waited a couple of minutes and then turned it back on. The same scenario repeated so I waited five minutes before turning it back on, and it then resumed cooling normally.
- About 10-15 minutes later the "Check VSC" message appeared, three annunciators illuminated (master caution + check engine + traction control), and the coolant gauge went to the cold peg, the hot peg, and then rested at cold.
- I slowed to 65 mph, snapped a panel pic and had my wife google "Lexus check VSC." What she found indicated that this wasn't a serious problem and that the car could be driven, so detecting no loss of power, unusual engine sounds or vibration we pressed on.
- About 20 minutes later - right before exiting the highway and without advance warning - the engine quit and we coasted to a halt in a parking lot. Slowing, I noticed what appeared to be smoke (it was coolant steaming off) coming from under the hood, so I turned on the hazards, grabbed personal belongings, a fire extinguisher in the trunk, exited the vehicle and called 911. No fire was detected by either us or the firefighters. I then called AAA and had the car transported to the dealer.

The dealer today said that they aren’t finished with all tests, but it appears that the car overheated, the block cracked, coolant & oil leaked out, and we need a new engine ($3,750 engine + $2,400 labor + $60 oil change + $99 coolant service + $300 sales tax). I’m getting a second opinion, of course, but what we read online was not correct – the car cannot be driven without risk of catastrophic engine failure. Again, we’re waiting for final results, but it’s looking like a $6,600 engine replacement for a Lexus with only 89,000 miles.

Last edited by tomokc; 06-09-14 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-16-14, 04:28 PM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, first of all, sorry to hear about your engine. Second of all, holy old resurrected thread!

But anyway, it seems like the VSC light comes on for various reasons not related to the stability control unit... and you just need to check what the codes are; there's no other reliable way to know why it's on or what's happening in your car.

That's why I always keep an OBD Bluetooth dongle in my glovebox. With that and an app like Carista, you can read and even reset the codes and diagnose your car much better, without even going to a shop, let alone a dealer. The dongle is only like $10 on amazon or ebay. The app (Carista) is free for "Check engine light" diagnostics, but costs $19.99 if you wanna do Lexus-specific diagnostics like ABS, VSC, etc. or change personalization settings. Obviously, what it saves you in trips to dealers/shops is way more than that.
Old 02-02-16, 05:19 PM
alireza
Driver School Candidate

Default Check VSC light on 2007 GS350

Car started and died instantly then check VSC light came on along with check engine (went away)and VSC one never went away!! Car would not start at all...no cranking either...tried it all..
So had it towed to my local mechanic who checked it ALL for a few days...Then had to Tow to Lexus Dealer 80 miles away! No communication from the car either. Codes would not come in...Lexus dealer saved me!!! It ends up being a Fuel Pressure Sensor...Lexus happened to cover it all !!! No one could figure it out!! Take it to Lexus and they ll figure it out quick!!
Old 02-03-16, 12:55 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 852 Likes on 648 Posts

Where is the sensor located? In the tank?