ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Camping in your Lexus ES350

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-08, 07:07 PM
gandro
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Camping in your Lexus ES350

About a year ago I got fed up with the politics and restrictive environment of Corporate America and with two degrees in engineering and an MBA from a top school, I was determined to make it on my own. I found working from home boring, isolating and uninspiring and realized that a coffee shop with WIFI and my laptop was close to everything I needed to get my work done. I started to travel and hop between over dozens different cities and scenic regions throughout the west. At first I would crash with friends, sometimes cheap hostels. Hotels were never an option as they would quickly break my limited budget. Tents required time to setup and take down (sometimes in rain) and the need to find nearby campsites. An RV costs money, guzzles gas and is far larger than what I need. So I started sleeping in the reclined passenger seat of my 1997 Honda Accord in safe areas. A year later, with hundreds of innovative solutions and enhancements, I have turned this into a comfortable, social and incredible lifestyle. A lifestyle that I hope to turn into a small empire. A lifestyle that allows me to wake natually with the sun (no alarm clocks) and requires me to hit the gym in the morning for a shower with a workout before. I still have a cheap room in a house in northern California and spend 3-10 days a month at home, the rest of the time I am on the road. Right now I am in Vegas. With improved income, a low cost lifestyle, and with so much time spent in my car, I decided it is time for sometime more luxurious. I love my Accord and even with 240K, it runs extremely well. But within weeks, I plan to purchase a 2008 Lexus ES with UL/NAV/ML. I couldn't be more excited. The ES offers many qualities and amenities that will make living on the road much more comfortable.

The hushed interior of the ES350 will reduce fatigue on long drives and make it easier to conduct business calls while driving. The integrated bluetooth will eliminate the need to wear and charge headsets. The smart access makes those frequent trips in and out of the vehicle and access to the trunk more convenient. The integrated NAV will eliminate the need to grab and put away my Garmin portable GPS. The adaptive cruise control, soft ride, M/L audio, HIDs and widely adjustable leather seats will make those long drives on the freeway more enjoyable. The memory seats will allow me to quickly and effortlessly position my seat for the night and restore it in the morning. The M/L system will allow me to watch a movie in concert sound before I turn in for the night. The panorama moonroof will provide an incredible view of the sky while I fall asleep. In the morning I will wake to a luxurious interior of wood and soft leather. A new Lexus ES with tinted windows will even allow me to go stealth and park for the night in upscale areas like Beverly Hills. Unlike the Accord, the Lexus is low maintenance (no 30K spark plug changes, valve adjustments etc.), so I can do most of the work myself and do it on the road.

So to everyone reading this, you spent $40K on a well engineered luxury car that rivals the ambience of most bedrooms and far exceeds the comfort of a tent. The passenger seat reclined seemed more comfortable to sleep in than my Accord (and I am 5-11). So go take a trip to a scenic place nearby (like Yosemite or Zion national park) and try sleeping in your Lexus.
And to those men who will say that your wife wouldn't join you, Ive had a girlfriend that joined me on atleast one trip.

Neil
The following users liked this post:
Zereldo (02-07-21)
Old 02-02-08, 08:41 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Ever heard the saying, "you can live in your car but you can't drive your house"?

Love the story!
Old 02-02-08, 11:05 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

I lived in a 1964 Cadillac Fleetwood Special, that was like a suite at the Waldorf to me. Now I am much older, and need the suite, or my back will let me know...
Old 02-03-08, 04:55 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, If you are seriously going to use it in fashion described I'd say be sure to get a bulk purchase deal on AC filters so that you change them once a month, many don't remember to change their AC filters (any car brand) monthly in their car as it is, someone living in a car would surely need to.

Preview it for any issues using checklist CL members created before accepting delivery and buy an extended warranty with the miles you seem planning to put on the vehicle in what appears would be a short time.

Parking in Beverly Hills may draw unwanted law enforcement attention as some may assume you are a pimp waiting on his Ho to return if you are overnighting in an entry level luxury car. I know that would not fly in Mill Valley.
Old 02-03-08, 06:48 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

interesting lifestyle. i'd give it a try if i weren't stuck already!
Old 02-03-08, 04:21 PM
AlexusES50
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great story...good luck with new ES350.....it is comfortable for sure...
Old 02-04-08, 05:42 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

That's awesome. This ES350 has everything you need to conduct business comfortably and safely. I would totally spend all my time in this car if I were a traveling executive. No flying....just driving. This car is so darn comfy.... I really cant complain much about this car.... It's a dream. I wish the exterior sheet metals were more durable....darn pine cone left a shallow dent that is invisible to everyone EXCEPT ME!!! In a couple of years when I accumulate more dings, I'm gonna give it a good touchup with dent removal and all.... gonna be like new again. In the meantime, I am just driving it hard, and really enjoy pushing this engine. I rode in my boss's S550. I like my car better.
Old 02-05-08, 05:33 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

all i can say is wow, and in a really good way. you make it seem like you dont have any worries, and the es will make your time even more enjoyable. and if you ever neeed a house in vegas, we got a house you can rent out lol
Old 02-06-08, 02:44 PM
gandro
Driver

The scrary thing is I hate house life now. I get sick of it after 3 days and want to head right back on the road! I can only imagine how I will feel when I am doing this in my ES350. When I get that large bill for the monthly payment each month, I can atleast tell myself I am getting my money's worth with all the time in my car.

Originally Posted by jmd93
all i can say is wow, and in a really good way. you make it seem like you dont have any worries, and the es will make your time even more enjoyable. and if you ever neeed a house in vegas, we got a house you can rent out lol
Old 02-06-08, 07:36 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

^^^^ well a least you picked up a great car to do it in lol
Old 02-06-08, 07:56 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 111 Likes on 52 Posts

wow nice story man good luck!
Old 02-06-21, 01:47 PM
Dpeters86
Driver School Candidate

Super delays response, but how long did you do this for? Any more tips? I have a 2015 ES350 and am considering taking some long weekends out at camp sights.
Old 04-07-21, 05:35 PM
Badhobz
Instructor

Received 559 Likes on 303 Posts

I don't know how you can sleep in it. Its doesn't recline enough for my 6'2 frame

but tint is super important for Overlanding. 5% tint is excellent

Last edited by Badhobz; 04-07-21 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-09-21, 09:42 PM
John U
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why not a minivan with an air mattress in the back?
Old 04-09-21, 11:23 PM
Manh3
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I’ve slept many nights in different cars as an avid fly fisherman and wannabe hobo. Here are couple tips from past experiences.

1. cloth seats are more comfy to sleep in than leather, I would keep sliding around when sleeping.
2. Dark tint
3. You can actually park overnight at 24fitness lots then workout and shower.
4. I ended up getting a lx470 and trashed the 3rd row seats. Folded down it measures 6ft if I lay diagonal. I love working from my lx470 as the second row seat recline. Gas is not great but I never ever have to worry about paying for a room.
5. Always put your keys in the same spot every night because you don’t want to look for them in a time of stress.

enjoy your travels and the adventures ahead.

Quick Reply: Camping in your Lexus ES350