ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

concerns about safety/security with key fob

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-08, 06:48 PM
myes350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default concerns about safety/security with key fob

From my understanding if the key fob is within a certain number of feet from the vehicle, you can open the doors or trunk with just a press of the little black buttons of the vehicle. So does that mean if I am resting in my vehicle with the engine off and doors locked or taking a distracting phone call that someone can open the doors of my car or open my trunk just by pressing the little black buttons on the handles?
Thanks
Old 01-31-08, 07:12 PM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pressing that black button LOCKS the doors - it doesn't open them. And if you're resting, the key is inside the car, not outside, so there shouldn't be concern that someone on the outside will be able to get in due to the proximity sensors mistakening them for you.
Old 01-31-08, 10:55 PM
SmokeyES35
Pole Position

actually no.. the person doesnt have to push the button, but they might just be able to touch the handle and open the door.. actually the trunk is with the touch of a button, but im not sure how close it is.. i stood about 5 feet away, and my friends tried to open the door, i wanted ot show them how cool it was, that i just walk up and open the door, no button pressing or anything. But yeah,, its gotta be less than 5 ft from the door you have to stand, and you would be able to notice someone that close to you i would think
Old 02-01-08, 05:08 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by myes350
From my understanding if the key fob is within a certain number of feet from the vehicle, you can open the doors or trunk with just a press of the little black buttons of the vehicle. So does that mean if I am resting in my vehicle with the engine off and doors locked or taking a distracting phone call that someone can open the doors of my car or open my trunk just by pressing the little black buttons on the handles?
Thanks
I did a thread on this exact subject.

Be sure to NEVER exit the car without locking it using your key FOB lock button if you have any other occupant in the car with their own key FOB, that allows a risk to occupants, theft of vehicle, wild ride or worse for occupants if some creep hops in.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...yless+security
Old 02-01-08, 05:44 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

The car is smarter than you think. If I have the fob and am standing on the left side, but my passenger is on the right side and pulls their handle, it will NOT unlock. It will only unlock by pulling the handle at the door in which the person with the FOB is standing. So, if the FOB is inside the car, I doubt the doors will unlock if you are inside your car with the FOB.
Old 02-02-08, 12:51 AM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MD350
The car is smarter than you think. If I have the fob and am standing on the left side, but my passenger is on the right side and pulls their handle, it will NOT unlock. It will only unlock by pulling the handle at the door in which the person with the FOB is standing. So, if the FOB is inside the car, I doubt the doors will unlock if you are inside your car with the FOB.
Yes, you are right - I was trying to say the same thing.

For those folks who are doubting the security, you should just go out to your cars and try it out yourselves. Maybe seeing it in action will make you feel better.
Old 02-02-08, 03:01 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The car will not unlock the doors if you're sitting inside the vehicle.

It'll only work within a 3 foot radius from either doors or trunklid.

In essence, the fob is "disabled" WRT lock/unlocking functions when the fob is inside the vehicle.
Old 02-02-08, 05:08 PM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I just verified this today. I put the fob on the driver's seat and had my wife lock the doors from the inside with the engine off. I couldn't unlock the driver's door from the outside with the fob on the inside.

Another nice feature is you can't accidently lock the fob inside by pushing the lock button on the outside of the doors.
Old 02-03-08, 05:21 PM
Druha
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dreyfus
I just verified this today. I put the fob on the driver's seat and had my wife lock the doors from the inside with the engine off. I couldn't unlock the driver's door from the outside with the fob on the inside.

Another nice feature is you can't accidently lock the fob inside by pushing the lock button on the outside of the doors.
yeah. i realized this early. otherwise i would have easily locked myself out a couple times...

also i'm not sure if this is totally true. but my gf locked the doors from inside and i was outside and couldn't unlock the doors using anything lol....not good if u have kids? i may be wrong.

and i glanced over the https://www.clublexus.com/forums/show...yless+security thread.

gave me a headache. and i would rather eat chicken wings and watch the superbowl.

Last edited by Druha; 02-03-08 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-03-08, 06:27 PM
radeonboy
Driver School Candidate

I thought dealers tell you this when you pick up the car... my dealer went over everything in detail, so I was pretty clear how the key fob works when I left the dealership...
Old 02-04-08, 04:43 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Druha

also i'm not sure if this is totally true. but my gf locked the doors from inside and i was outside and couldn't unlock the doors using anything lol....not good if u have kids? i may be wrong.

and i glanced over the https://www.clublexus.com/forums/show...yless+security thread.

gave me a headache. and i would rather eat chicken wings and watch the superbowl.
You can unlock the car using the FOB unlock button itself in situations like that or use the conventional metal key provided you. You can also lock the car using FOB even if occupant has their own key FOB, you cannot do either with the handle area push button though under those circumstances.

radeon...,

They do go over valet situations, general lock-unlock, but seems not keen on pointing out or warning about occupants with their own key FOB left inside the vehicle when a driver exits with their's for an errand or something.
Old 02-12-08, 10:38 AM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MD350
The car is smarter than you think. If I have the fob and am standing on the left side, but my passenger is on the right side and pulls their handle, it will NOT unlock. It will only unlock by pulling the handle at the door in which the person with the FOB is standing.
Are you sure this is 100% the case? I ask because there was a time where I was trying to impress my buddy--I stood right outside the driver's side door w/ the fob in my pocket, and told my buddy that he "had to power to unlock the front passenger door w/o any intervention on my part". I told him to wrap his hand around the door handle and pull, and voila--his door unlocked. Maybe I was just hallucinating but I do remember asking him to try it; I'll try it again and see whether or not the passenger door will open while I'm standing on the other side w/ the fob...
Old 02-12-08, 05:40 PM
kewl
Rookie

Originally Posted by toneman
Are you sure this is 100% the case? I ask because there was a time where I was trying to impress my buddy--I stood right outside the driver's side door w/ the fob in my pocket, and told my buddy that he "had to power to unlock the front passenger door w/o any intervention on my part". I told him to wrap his hand around the door handle and pull, and voila--his door unlocked. Maybe I was just hallucinating but I do remember asking him to try it; I'll try it again and see whether or not the passenger door will open while I'm standing on the other side w/ the fob...
I tried the same thing for other reasons...I wanted to see if the passenger could unlock their door while I was standing outside by the drivers door. If they could it would save from having to unlock using the back door to ensure all doors unlocked. Or least that we the thinking at the time I tried this experiment. Anyway...the door would not unlock....any door.

So the car was smarter...