ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Where's the interior storage?

Old 12-28-07, 01:25 AM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Where's the interior storage?

So I was putting more baby stuff into the car and the lack of storage space finally hit me. Test driving it, I didn't notice much but didn't think much of it as I was concentrating on stuff like the tranny flares, etc. However, when I bought the car and the salesman handed me the manual and told me his other clients only stick the summary guides in the glovebox, that's when I realized this car doesn't have much.

So, what do you guys do?

Where do you put the manual? What about cell phones?

Any recommendations on where to put a box of tissue? Wife's sunglasses don't even fit in the overhead sunglass compartment (and hers are only the medium sized ones, not the huge ones the celebs wear).

Do you guys just shove what you can in the center console?

Man, my truck is ugly but like most other Hondas, it's chock full of storage space. I dunno why Toyota can't design storage cubbies like Honda can. The Sienna is absolutely pathetic compared to the Odyssey. Toyota claims it has a ton of cupholders but most are useless since they're all small, out of the way, and worst of all, slanted.
Old 12-28-07, 01:47 AM
VegasIS300
Pole Position

I was pretty surprised how small the glove box is, and I wish there were door pockets in the rear. I usually just stick my cell phone in the cubbyhole of the handle of the door. I do like the coin box to the left of the steering wheel...I used to put my small change in the ashtray in the IS300. You guys carry your manual around in your car? I have never brought my manual along, it sits in a drawer at home!

Last edited by VegasIS300; 12-28-07 at 01:52 AM.
Old 12-28-07, 03:40 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

codex,

After trying several areas, I just put the manual in the recess area in the trunk near wheel well area. And otherwise I stuffed what I could in center console area.

As for sunglasses, for humor I created this sunglass poll back when, which you could take, but Mike got credited when threads were merged.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=sunglass+poll
Old 12-28-07, 05:07 AM
Rickanns
Driver School Candidate

I agree that storage is minimal in this car. I did trash the ash tray and formed a little shelf liner in the cubby hole to keep things from rattling. This is fine for cell phone or something about that size. We ride with the driver's seat pretty high, and my wife has stuck the manual pouch under that seat although it shows a little. Other paraphenalia is in the console or door pockets.

Rick
Old 12-28-07, 09:06 AM
jcg
Rookie

Originally Posted by codex57
So I was putting more baby stuff into the car and the lack of storage space finally hit me. Test driving it, I didn't notice much but didn't think much of it as I was concentrating on stuff like the tranny flares, etc. However, when I bought the car and the salesman handed me the manual and told me his other clients only stick the summary guides in the glovebox, that's when I realized this car doesn't have much.

So, what do you guys do?

Where do you put the manual? What about cell phones?

Any recommendations on where to put a box of tissue? Wife's sunglasses don't even fit in the overhead sunglass compartment (and hers are only the medium sized ones, not the huge ones the celebs wear).

Do you guys just shove what you can in the center console?

Man, my truck is ugly but like most other Hondas, it's chock full of storage space. I dunno why Toyota can't design storage cubbies like Honda can. The Sienna is absolutely pathetic compared to the Odyssey. Toyota claims it has a ton of cupholders but most are useless since they're all small, out of the way, and worst of all, slanted.

I put my owners manual in a zip lock bag and put it in with the spare tire.
I also pulled the ashtray out to make room for a phone. I agree that there is virtually no storage and the cup holders require that you be a contortionist.
But then, what do you expect for $40k?
Old 12-28-07, 09:17 AM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Great suggestions guys. Keep em coming.
Old 12-28-07, 10:30 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the tray to the left of the steering wheel for coins. Cell phone and blackberry go in the cup holder (I don't eat or drink in my car). I was able to get all of the manuals in the glove box. I also keep business cards for my clients in the cup holder.

I keep eye glass cleaner and mit to clean the NAV screen in the center console, my easypass sits on the sliding tray in the center console (I do not stick it to the windshield, it looks ugly.) and hold it up as I go through tolls.

My sun glasses do fit in the holder, but they have to be inserted in a certain way.

I hate clutter and don't keep a lot of stuff in my car.

If you really like places to stuff things, my wife's Pilot has the shifter on the wheel. So, you can actually get lost in the center console. Tons of space.
Old 12-28-07, 11:04 AM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

My truck prolly has the same or similar center console as your wife's pilot. I love that thing. It's one reason why we call our truck the transformer.

I'm gonna have to see if my easy pass fits in the sliding tray. I like that idea of sticking it in there.

Do you guys have a place to put a pen or flashlight so that it can't rattle around too much?
Old 12-28-07, 05:04 PM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

I'm not sure if anyone in this post is aware of the elastic band residing on the ceiling of the glove box - that is used to hold your owner's manual as you tuck it onto the small shelf that protudes out from the back of the glove box.

Once in, the manuall essentially "floats" up there and you can slide things underneath it.

There was a thread about this a while back - perhaps do a search for more detailed explanations.
Old 12-28-07, 05:47 PM
8888Lexus
Driver School Candidate

i never knew about the elastic band in the glove compartment....how in the world did you firure that one out...thanks for the info, now its no longer on my backseat floor ....lol....Rudy
Old 12-28-07, 06:00 PM
VegasIS300
Pole Position

Oh snap! Thanks for the tip! I didnt know about the elastic strap!
Old 12-28-07, 06:16 PM
radeonboy
Driver School Candidate

I also found the elastic strap by accident when I was touching the glove box to see what was blocking the manual to sit completely inside it
Old 12-29-07, 06:18 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Originally Posted by VegasIS300
Oh snap! Thanks for the tip! I didnt know about the elastic strap!
Ditto! I wondered what that little shelf was for! I used to just slide the manual in below it.

I just ran outside to check it out. Works great!
Old 12-29-07, 01:00 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macklin
Ditto! I wondered what that little shelf was for! I used to just slide the manual in below it.

I just ran outside to check it out. Works great!
I tried using the strap on a couple of occasions, but it ended up that I still had to keep the manuals in the trunk. It seems that this will only work for people who have Premium/Premium Plus Editions. If you have the Ultra Luxury Edition, there are a few more manuals that make it too thick for the elastic band to hold the added weight, especially when they're in the Leather jacket. Believe me, I sure would have liked to use this option.
Old 12-29-07, 09:33 PM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by amf1932
I tried using the strap on a couple of occasions, but it ended up that I still had to keep the manuals in the trunk. It seems that this will only work for people who have Premium/Premium Plus Editions. If you have the Ultra Luxury Edition, there are a few more manuals that make it too thick for the elastic band to hold the added weight, especially when they're in the Leather jacket. Believe me, I sure would have liked to use this option.
Really? That's odd... I have the Ultra Luxury Edition with all the manuals and everything is in the leather jacket - I find that it fits in there just fine. Maybe you're inserting it in backwards? Perhaps I should take a picture of how mine fits in there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where's the interior storage?