New to the ES350 Club

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-07, 02:21 PM
FL-Frank
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the ES350 Club

We bought our first Lexus yesterday, a 2008 Obsidian on Black ES350

It's easier to list the options it doesn't have...ML Sound System, Semi-Aniline Leather, Panorama Glass Roof, 10 Spoke Wheels, PCS with Radar Cruise Control, Rear Spoiler, Body Side Moulding, XM or Sirius, Car Cover.

It's currently at the POE, and scheduled to arrive at the dealership here in SOFL within 7-10 days.

We traded our 1996 Camry XLV-6, which provided us with 12 years and 140K miles of reliability and comfort.

We're considering adding a 3M clear bra to protect the paint on the leading edges of the car, and we welcome any suggestions, opinions, recommendations anyone may have regarding the product and/or its installation.
Old 11-18-07, 02:51 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FL-Frank
We bought our first Lexus yesterday, a 2008 Obsidian on Black ES350

It's easier to list the options it doesn't have...ML Sound System, Semi-Aniline Leather, Panorama Glass Roof, 10 Spoke Wheels, PCS with Radar Cruise Control, Rear Spoiler, Body Side Moulding, XM or Sirius, Car Cover.

It's currently at the POE, and scheduled to arrive at the dealership here in SOFL within 7-10 days.

We traded our 1996 Camry XLV-6, which provided us with 12 years and 140K miles of reliability and comfort.

We're considering adding a 3M clear bra to protect the paint on the leading edges of the car, and we welcome any suggestions, opinions, recommendations anyone may have regarding the product and/or its installation.
Congrats on your purchase! I bought the 3m bra and had it installed at the dealer prior to delivery. I have a full front bra (which also hugs around the front fenders to the wheel well), and on the hood about 1 foot up from the grill. I also have it over my headlights to prevent cracks, and also both side mirrors.

Retail was about $995. I paid $650. I believe cost was $550. It is worth every penny. At 21K miles, I have no stone chips on the hood or bumper. It looks like new, and you can bearly see it on the car.

If the price is right, you do a lot of highway driving, and care about how your car looks....buy it!
Old 11-18-07, 03:40 PM
FL-Frank
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MD350
I bought the 3m bra and had it installed at the dealer prior to delivery. I have a full front bra (which also hugs around the front fenders to the wheel well), and on the hood about 1 foot up from the grill. I also have it over my headlights to prevent cracks, and also both side mirrors. Retail was about $995. I paid $650. I believe cost was $550. It is worth every penny. At 21K miles, I have no stone chips on the hood or bumper. It looks like new, and you can bearly see it on the car.
Thanks for the advice MD350. Did you source the film from a third party and then have the dealer install it, or did the dealer take care of everything (supplying the product and installing it)?
Old 11-18-07, 06:10 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Congratulations on the new car and welcome to The Club - I'm sure you will like it here.

Dave Mac
Old 11-18-07, 11:01 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

Welcome to the family - I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine...

I suggest that you avoid the dealer for the clear mask. Florida is full of very qualified tint shops that will apply the 3M clear mask. You should look for an established shop, most will offer at least a full 3 year warranty.

I was offered the an 18" application (hood only) from the dealer for $750.00.
I took it to a private shop, and for $500.00, they did the hood, mirrors, and entire front face of the front bumper. After the work was complete they disclosed to me that they do all the work for the Lexus dealers in the area.

My service advisor at Lexus verified that fact. Also a point against is not allowing any aftermarket work to be rolled into your loan or lease payments.

Finally, I am going back soon to have the flared, upper parts of the front fenders masked, as well as the top lip of the rear bumper, near the bottom of the trunk lid. I have had all 3 Lexii I have owned masked, and each one more than the previous one. I regret none of it, it is money well spent. Do it as soon as possible, you will be happy you did.
Old 11-19-07, 08:14 AM
Yiujai86
Rookie

I'm wondering how much did you get for your trade in. My v6 camry has 137k miles on it... maybe I'll trade it in and get another lexus.
Old 11-19-07, 08:28 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FL-Frank
Thanks for the advice MD350. Did you source the film from a third party and then have the dealer install it, or did the dealer take care of everything (supplying the product and installing it)?
Dealer took care of it all, but it was a 3rd party and they did the work in the dealer's facility. Dave is correct, you can probably find it cheaper on your own. I took the lazy approach and had it all done, with XM radio install, prior to delivery. So, when I took it home, I did not need to take it back. Also, my Lexus dealer actually gave me a lifetime warranty. So, if there is any kind of issue, I take it back to the dealer and get a loaner. But, have not needed to as of today.
Old 11-19-07, 08:44 AM
AccElan01
Rookie

I've never seen the clear bra. Can anyone post a picture? Thanks
Old 11-19-07, 10:47 AM
FL-Frank
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MD350
I bought the 3m bra and had it installed at the dealer prior to delivery. I have a full front bra (which also hugs around the front fenders to the wheel well), and on the hood about 1 foot up from the grill. I also have it over my headlights to prevent cracks, and also both side mirrors. Retail was about $995. I paid $650. I believe cost was $550. It is worth every penny. At 21K miles, I have no stone chips on the hood or bumper. It looks like new, and you can bearly see it on the car. If the price is right, you do a lot of highway driving, and care about how your car looks....buy it!
Thanks again MD350. I found a 3M-certified installer locally that will source the material (bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors, headlamps, fogs) and do the installation for $600.
Old 11-19-07, 10:50 AM
FL-Frank
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AccElan01
I've never seen the clear bra. Can anyone post a picture? Thanks

To get an idea of what it's all about.....check out invisiblemask.com