ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Michelin tires - worn out (evenly)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-07, 01:50 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Michelin tires - worn out (evenly)

Noticed that my OEM Michelins, with only 8600 miles on them, have the treadwear warning bars now even with the treads. They have been rotated twice in the 8,600 miles since we got the ES350 in 9/06. In researching the tire, there is no treadwear warranty on these tires. I am going to the Michelin tire dealer locally and review this situation. Not acceptable in the least. Maybe if they broke into the teens of mileage I could not complain.
Old 10-29-07, 03:33 PM
sfuad
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by garsarno
Noticed that my OEM Michelins, with only 8600 miles on them, have the treadwear warning bars now even with the treads. They have been rotated twice in the 8,600 miles since we got the ES350 in 9/06. In researching the tire, there is no treadwear warranty on these tires. I am going to the Michelin tire dealer locally and review this situation. Not acceptable in the least. Maybe if they broke into the teens of mileage I could not complain.
Call Michelin. They would ask you to take your vehicle to any Michelin dealer. The dealer would inspect the tires and talk to Michelin. Based on dealers inspection, they would offer some percent off on new tire purchase.

My 2004 Sienna's Michelin tires feathered at 32000 miles. After talking to Michelin, I took my Van to discount Tire (Michelin Dealer). He verified it and then Michelin prorated the life i.e 32000/ 50000 and offered me 35 % off on any new tire purchase (any company , any brand). I went for Hydroedge. Discount Tire price matched to Costco (including life time balance & rotation, road hazard) and then took 35% off the final price. I end up paying around $280 for four tires.
Old 10-29-07, 04:22 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Thanks. Going tomorrow morning to the local dealer and my rotation receipts.
Old 10-31-07, 05:19 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

I visited my local Michelin dealer and related the story of the balding tires. He gave me the 800# for Michelin, I called and spoke to the customer service rep. He gave me a case number (my complete phone number) and told me to retiurn to the dealer and he would measure the tread and call me back with the decision. Got a call back within an hour and Michelin, even thought here is no treadwear warranty, offered to discount another set at 75%. This tire costs $211.95 each which includes all installation, lifetime balancing and rotation, nitrogen fill and old tire disposal. My cost is $52.99 per tire plus local 6% tax. The treadwear measured an average of 3-4 thirty seconds per tire at 8862 miles, with one rotation at 4,300 miles. Total projected cost is going to be $225 with tax for the four replacement Michelins. I hope these last longer than 8800 miles.
Old 10-31-07, 05:53 PM
gatorcb
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by garsarno
I visited my local Michelin dealer and related the story of the balding tires. He gave me the 800# for Michelin, I called and spoke to the customer service rep. He gave me a case number (my complete phone number) and told me to retiurn to the dealer and he would measure the tread and call me back with the decision. Got a call back within an hour and Michelin, even thought here is no treadwear warranty, offered to discount another set at 75%. This tire costs $211.95 each which includes all installation, lifetime balancing and rotation, nitrogen fill and old tire disposal. My cost is $52.99 per tire plus local 6% tax. The treadwear measured an average of 3-4 thirty seconds per tire at 8862 miles, with one rotation at 4,300 miles. Total projected cost is going to be $225 with tax for the four replacement Michelins. I hope these last longer than 8800 miles.
nitrogen filled = pocket filled profits for the installer
Old 11-01-07, 03:42 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

I may specify to use "regular air".
Old 11-01-07, 07:01 AM
onsknht
Pole Position

What model Michelins are on your car?

I have the HXMXM4s and don't particularly care for them, they too show the wear bars at 10k and have even wear... At 7k I got a nail in one right near the sidewall, I hated to do it but I bought another one AT THE DEALER to top it off. ---->>> $310 for one tire! Tire Rack wasn't much cheaper by the time I added shipping and mounting to the $255 they wanted just for the tire.

At any rate - - Michelin is a French company and thinks nothing more than to find some way somehow to screw Americans, even though we bailed them out of every war they started... $255 for a tire is ridiculous! I can't wait for the Michelins to wear out so I can go to something half-the-cost and twice-the-consumer-rating like the Bridgestone Pole Position tires that go for around $100 each!
Old 11-01-07, 08:04 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

OEM tires are for the most part from junk to mediocre, dont purchase them again for a replacement theres always far better alternatives at the same price or even cheaper if you do a little research on tirerack
Old 11-01-07, 10:37 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

The Michelin OEM tire is their #MXV4S8, Tire Rack cost of $173+ shipping. Cheapest tire on Tire Rack is a Kumho @ $83.00 for the ES350 size. But...
It does have a 30,000 mile treadwear warranty versus zero for the $173 Michelin. Ride quality difference???
Old 11-01-07, 01:59 PM
gatorcb
Driver

go for the yokohama avid tires which are highly rated
Old 11-01-07, 03:17 PM
jerfitz
Pole Position

Tires with extremely short tire life was one thing that really bothered me about getting a Lexus because at the end of the 21 page brochure for the 2007 ES-350 is DISCLAIMER number 7 out of 17 disclaimers.

It says, "17-inch tires are expected to experience greater tire wear than convertional tires. Tire life may be SUBSTANTIALLY less than 20,000 miles, depending on driving conditions."

My dealer said that the ultra low mileage was because Lexus uses "soft rubber performance" tires and the softer rubber wears out very quickly. On the other hand, you will do better in a NASCAR event with these tires.

Because of this I ordered All Season tires and hope to get a lot more mileage from them.
Old 11-01-07, 05:38 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

I have a 2007 Impala SS with Goodyear RSA tires, size 235/50X18 with just over 21,000 miles that have more treadwear left than these Michelins. After these, I will opt for another brand. These Michelins are considered the all season tires.
Old 11-02-07, 07:23 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Had the new tires installed this morning. Exact Michelin as what came on the car from Japan. I measured the tread depth - between 9 and 10/32". So, even when new, the tires are in the thin side. I also measured a Continental All Season tire and the tread measured almost 11/32". So, from the start, these are at a disadvantage with miles to be driven.
Old 11-02-07, 07:50 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

13,000 miles on my car with the Michelin all-season tires and no visible wear yet. I'm glad the car came with the all-season vs. summer tires. Here in the midwest, nearly all ES come with them.
Old 11-02-07, 08:09 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

do they make goodyear tripletred assurances in the ES350 size, those were some really excellent tires. My mom used to have an 01 avalon, had michelin energy tires which were puke: noisy, terrible grip, not smooth. When we got the assurances, all of those were corrected, the treadwear was better and the tire price was actually cheaper. Ride was night and day quieter, smoother, grippier. I think they are among some of the tip rated all seasons on tirerack

Quick Reply: Michelin tires - worn out (evenly)