ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Just had time to look over the paint job and....

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-07, 09:20 AM
harrington
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just had time to look over the paint job and....

Already see some piant chips on the doors. Now I only drove the car home yesterday. I do think that these were already on the car when I picked it up. Do I tell the dealer or just realize that no paint job is going to be perfect. I'm already wishing I didn't get the black. Who knows who detailed this car at the dealership, but already showing tons of swirl marks in the paint as well. Many of my friends warned me about getting a black car. Oh well what's done is done.
Old 09-16-07, 11:55 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by harrington
Already see some piant chips on the doors. Now I only drove the car home yesterday. I do think that these were already on the car when I picked it up. Do I tell the dealer or just realize that no paint job is going to be perfect. I'm already wishing I didn't get the black. Who knows who detailed this car at the dealership, but already showing tons of swirl marks in the paint as well. Many of my friends warned me about getting a black car. Oh well what's done is done.
Call your dealer ASAP. It has only been 24 hours. Some dealers have a 2 or 3 day exchange policy. As long as you get another car, they may swap it out for a different color. All they can say is no, it is worth a try.
Old 09-16-07, 06:50 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have black too and I feel your pain (do I sound like Bill?). What I would do is get in touch with a detail professional (or a body and paint shop that specializes in Porches or Benz's or some other high line car). Tell them you need a clay bar job and a good polish and wax. If they know what they are doing you will be pleased with the results.

As far as the scratches go I can't help you there but the body shop might.

Remember your car will always look worse to you than others because you are hyper-critical -- it's your car. In the noon day sun it will not look very good on some occasions, especially after a poor wash and dry job. The Achilles heels (the source of water spotting from water accumulated after a wash and leaves marks on the car after you leave the car wash) on this car are the side mirrors, the grill, the trunk/bumper interface and the gas cap. YOU have to fold the towel and dig the water out when you dry the car and carry a sprayer of detail stuff and a microfiber towel to get the white streaks out after you get home or to your destination. It is well worth the 5 minutes to get the marks out.

Rest assured that in the very early morning, overcast days, dusk, and all night long, you car will be the sleekest thing on the road and you will be glad you got black.
Old 09-17-07, 08:57 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

The paint on my silver ES is excellent but black is a mirror and you will notice everything, if you don't have time to hand wash every weekend and wax and polish the car it's not really the color for you, many times I've looked at my black car and what I thought was paint chips was just stuff stuck to the paint, really nothing to say but avoid car washes and keep a solid coat of wax on it.
Old 09-18-07, 08:02 AM
onsknht
Pole Position

black = heartbreak

silver, white or red are by far the easiest colors to maintain... Take it back to the dealer and complain, he should get someone on it to make it look nice. IDK about trading colors, good luck.
Old 09-19-07, 05:06 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Harrington,

Black is a great color.

To avoid additional swirl marks take your car through the no touch type car washes and only hand wash it every 6th time or so and even at that only after it has been rinsed well before hand washing.

2 black ES and a black MB and no swirl problems because I used no touch regularly.
Old 09-20-07, 09:58 AM
samathews
Driver School Candidate

Also, when you hand wash, be very gentle. Boar's hair brush is best for washing, and use plenty of water. Sites like Groit's Garage have good advice and plenty of car care items.