ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Recommend the es or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-07, 02:23 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

* The ES is a great value, a lot of bang for the buck
* The ES looks great, especially with the glass roof on the UL packages, very rare looking car, I get lots of compliments
* I love the interior, love the space, love the safety aspects of it with knee bags, etc.

* Chances of a flaring transmission are much greater than the average car
* Chances of engine knock are very high, but Lexus says this is a normal characteristic of the engine
* Interior rattles have been common, dealers have used felt to line trouble areas to stop rattles

As another member stated above, if these complaints are all over other forums, than it is a widespread issue. I don't see these complaints listed on other Lexus model forums out there, yet alone other Acura, Infiniti, etc.

If you like to roll the dice and see what you are going to get, take the chance and steal a leftover 2007 model at invoice. Take it for a 48 hour test drive to make sure that tranny does not flare from day 1. Then, sign the paperwork.
Old 07-29-07, 05:04 PM
mrshyvley
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're interested in the same basic platform, but want decent handling, get the Toyota Camry SE V6.
It has a better handling suspension than the standard Camry XLE V6 or ES350.
Maybe your dad can get the options that he wants, and it won't cost as much.

Last edited by mrshyvley; 07-29-07 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-29-07, 05:55 PM
gatorcb
Driver

Just remember Lexus is on pace to sell 70K-80K 350s, and your sample size (# of votes) in the transmission polls, diesel polls, etc is maybe 100-200...Do the math...assume 200 votes/40398 vehicles sold so far So .5% of the ES350 population is recommending or not recommending the vehicle...take it for what its worth. As others have stated your far more likely to hear complaints on forums than happy customers because people want answers or to talk to fellow owners to compare their experiences. Consumer Reports highly recommends not buying the 1st year vehicle of a new generation and have stats to prove that the 2nd, 3rd years are improved in terms of the number of problems
Old 07-29-07, 10:59 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by gatorcb
Just remember Lexus is on pace to sell 70K-80K 350s, and your sample size (# of votes) in the transmission polls, diesel polls, etc is maybe 100-200...Do the math...assume 200 votes/40398 vehicles sold so far So .5% of the ES350 population is recommending or not recommending the vehicle...take it for what its worth. As others have stated your far more likely to hear complaints on forums than happy customers because people want answers or to talk to fellow owners to compare their experiences. Consumer Reports highly recommends not buying the 1st year vehicle of a new generation and have stats to prove that the 2nd, 3rd years are improved in terms of the number of problems
Bingo. THe ES continues to win reliability awards. The GS actually seems to be worse even though the forum is not as vocal about problems as this one.

Insiders have told me the ES and GS underwent 5 different studies in Japan to figure out the problems as they are dead serious on getting them back top notch.

So expect 2008+ models to be more solid in quality.
Old 07-30-07, 12:11 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I fully expect Lexus is trying hard to figure out what is wrong with those trasmission flares and failures, but I wouldn't hold my breathe that they will have it worked out by 08. They still haven't figured out the RX300/350 transmission oddities and that car has been out 4 years now. At this point, I personally wouldn't recomend the ES350 and infact those that approach me about this car personally I tell them about the potential tranny problem and tell them I'd hold off buying the ES350 (Even the 6 cylinder Camry, but do recomend the 4 cylinder) or look at other Lexus products. I'm one of those that can live with knowing a part will work well for a certain amount of time then fail, but can't live with a part that know one knows what is going on with it and acts irratically. I rather replace my transmission every 60K miles but have it working perfectly in the mean time than have the tranny last 100K+ miles and have odd things going on with it.

Otherwise I really like the ES. I think it is one of the better looking Lexus cars out right now.
Old 07-30-07, 05:41 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Bingo. THe ES continues to win reliability awards. The GS actually seems to be worse even though the forum is not as vocal about problems as this one.

Insiders have told me the ES and GS underwent 5 different studies in Japan to figure out the problems as they are dead serious on getting them back top notch.

So expect 2008+ models to be more solid in quality.
So, if this is true, why doesn't the folks in the service department just be frank with us and say Lexus working on getting the issues resolved. Rather than playing us like idiots and telling us it is normal operation. This part of it gets me more angry than the problems themselves. Very poor customer service, very poor PR.

And for all those on this forum who continue to state that the issues equate to a small number of 80,000 vehicles sold and that the ES is a great car...not to listen to a few angry owners on a forum. Wondering if other members recommend this unit to another member, would they buy it back from them if their transmission starts to flare?

Lets wake up, the car has widespread issues. Ok, so Japan is working on fixing them. But, lets stop pulling wool over our eyes and pretend they are not there. Geez.
Old 07-30-07, 05:15 PM
ESDragon
Driver

PROS: I think the ES is definitely the best value as far as what Lexus has to offer. The styling and the quality is superb. I love the comfortable and quiet ride that really shows that this is a luxury car.

CONS: It is a shame that it has the crappiest transmission that I have ever driven in my life. Like many members here, I have the infamous flaring issue. I don't need to go any further more on the details since this has been covered numerous time. I have driven the IS, RX and GS and none of them have these slipping issue.

Bottom line: Even though statistics shows that the percentage of the transmission issue is minimal, but it is still there. And it is not fair for the consumers to live with this defective when they shed out $40k for a car that should be safe and fun to drive.
Old 07-30-07, 05:29 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

es dragon, were in ny r u and how has the es done with the snow, i know they r pretty good, but do u use snow tires?
Old 07-30-07, 05:49 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ESDragon
PROS: I think the ES is definitely the best value as far as what Lexus has to offer. The styling and the quality is superb. I love the comfortable and quiet ride that really shows that this is a luxury car.

CONS: It is a shame that it has the crappiest transmission that I have ever driven in my life. Like many members here, I have the infamous flaring issue. I don't need to go any further more on the details since this has been covered numerous time. I have driven the IS, RX and GS and none of them have these slipping issue.

Bottom line: Even though statistics shows that the percentage of the transmission issue is minimal, but it is still there. And it is not fair for the consumers to live with this defective when they shed out $40k for a car that should be safe and fun to drive.
My thoughts exactly!! I get compliments daily on the car. It really is a shame.
Old 07-30-07, 05:55 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

hmm so i guess if were r one of the lucky ones, and we get one of the es's that doesnt have problems, we will get one hell of a deal
Old 07-30-07, 06:43 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by jmd93
hmm so i guess if were r one of the lucky ones, and we get one of the es's that doesnt have problems, we will get one hell of a deal
Hopefully you'll get a good deal. IMO, you guys will be getting a very good car for the money. I don't know how old your dad is, but 50% of ES buyers are over age 56 so it appeals to that age demographic. Good luck.

Last edited by LexBob2; 07-30-07 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-30-07, 07:13 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

hes 45 years young lol he likes it (wooried bout the issues) while my grandpa whoes 75 calls it an old person car he just trying to make my dad mad lol
Old 07-30-07, 09:26 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

After almost 2 months - my only issue with the ES is that, uh scratch that - I have NO ISSUES...
Old 07-31-07, 08:12 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jmd93
Yep, it is a bang for the buck. Especially with dealers clearing out the 07s, you can get a great deal.
Old 08-01-07, 03:46 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MD350
So, if this is true, why doesn't the folks in the service department just be frank with us and say Lexus working on getting the issues resolved. Rather than playing us like idiots and telling us it is normal operation. This part of it gets me more angry than the problems themselves. Very poor customer service, very poor PR.

And for all those on this forum who continue to state that the issues equate to a small number of 80,000 vehicles sold and that the ES is a great car...not to listen to a few angry owners on a forum. Wondering if other members recommend this unit to another member, would they buy it back from them if their transmission starts to flare?

Lets wake up, the car has widespread issues. Ok, so Japan is working on fixing them. But, lets stop pulling wool over our eyes and pretend they are not there. Geez.
What I got was from a source. I am sure Lexus told its dealers do not disclose the info with them working on fixes.

I did forget to mention the part Lexus wants every single report on the car from dealers. They WANT to know the problems so they can FIX them. THey are not trying to avoid the problem, they are trying to figure it out.

Cars are very very complicated and it takes time. The car DOES NOT have widespread issues. Some cars do, EVERY car from every brand has its poorly built cars.

Historically for the past 18 years, Lexus has had the LEAST amount. THey WILL have problems.

They are PURSUING perfection, they never said they WERE perfect.

Quick Reply: Recommend the es or not?