ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Guide TO Disable (VSC) ES350 by ...Sultanaa

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-07, 09:43 PM
jerfitz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, interesting explanation on racing and VSC.

JerFitz
Old 05-10-07, 11:34 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by onsknht
Toyota has two systems... TRAC for traction control and VSC for vehicle skid control. Disabling VSC via the button (have one in my Sequoia) makes it so the car won't take over while cornering or if is skids out of control. Toyota has never allowed the user the ability to disable TRAC (via a button at least) which will allow you to smoke the tires from a stop.

The ES doesn't have a VSC button.

FWIW - I had a difficult time adjusting to Honda's VSA button (vehicle skid assist), I kept thinking all it would do is disable what is known in Toyotaland as VSC... Instead it also disables traction control (TRAC), which doesn't really exist in Honda terms.

Hopefully that made sense?
Are you sure about this? Just out of curiosity, I experimented with this today. I turned off VSC by holding the button down and 2 lights came on. One with a picture of a car with 2 skid marks behind it (I assume this is traction control) and another one that said "VSC OFF" (which I also assume is VSC). While holding the front wheels with the brakes, I was able to break the rear tires loose from a standstill. I then went into a wide open lot and cranked the wheel and mashed the throttle, the rear tires broke loose and it swung around nicely. If I kept going, I'm sure I could have gotten some donuts out of the car or some tire smoking burnouts. Granted, I didn't want to thrash on the car so I only let the tires break loose and let off but I'm almost certain that tire smoking burnouts and donuts are possible by disabling VSC and getting the 2 lights to come on.
Old 05-11-07, 08:32 AM
onsknht
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
Are you sure about this? Just out of curiosity, I experimented with this today. I turned off VSC by holding the button down and 2 lights came on. One with a picture of a car with 2 skid marks behind it (I assume this is traction control) and another one that said "VSC OFF" (which I also assume is VSC). While holding the front wheels with the brakes, I was able to break the rear tires loose from a standstill. I then went into a wide open lot and cranked the wheel and mashed the throttle, the rear tires broke loose and it swung around nicely. If I kept going, I'm sure I could have gotten some donuts out of the car or some tire smoking burnouts. Granted, I didn't want to thrash on the car so I only let the tires break loose and let off but I'm almost certain that tire smoking burnouts and donuts are possible by disabling VSC and getting the 2 lights to come on.
That very well may be the case on the GS/IS that it disables both via the VSC button... It sounds as if you can kill VSC with the first push, but holding it kills both systems? In the Toyota trucks (haven't seen the button in cars) the VSC button only disables the skid control unless that was changed recently to work more like the IS/GS?
Old 02-26-08, 11:01 PM
tC350
Driver

so is the pedel dance the only way to disable TRAC and VSC in the ES350??
Old 02-27-08, 01:43 AM
sultanaa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tC350
so is the pedel dance the only way to disable TRAC and VSC in the ES350??

yes
Old 11-25-09, 10:17 AM
nrbes350
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

I tried the pressing the break and parking brake as indicated this morning and it worked like a champ with my 07 ES. Found out in Colorado last week that there is a time an place where this procedure could save you a wrecker charge. Thanks a lot. Now I can shred my tires too, if I feel so inclined.
Old 12-05-09, 04:25 AM
SickES350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sultanaa
however.....
this is the right way to disable VSC so do not use my way only for get more info about the car .....
so have good drift
... wouldnt you just have a ton of under steer on a front wheel drive? someone should try using the emergency brake in the middle of a turn to get the rear to slide out, now that'd be pretty interesting to watch. .
Old 01-30-10, 12:12 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

So, I need some direction here. Today was the first time I actually drove my ES is some serious snow (it was in the shop during the blizzard in December )

So, honestly, I was disappointed in how it performed today. On snow covered roads, I hit the gas lightly from a stop light and the front tires spin...even if I barely touch it. I can't start in 2nd gear, the limiter goes 1 to 2.

Then, I have a 10 degree uphill driveway. With about 1 inch of snow on it, I could not get the car up and in the garage without shoveling.

Would disabling the VSC help this? Honestly, I am concerned that if I am far from home and I am caught in a storm, this car ain't going to get me home without getting stuck.
Old 01-30-10, 02:16 PM
pestleman0
Driver

Originally Posted by MD350
So, I need some direction here. Today was the first time I actually drove my ES is some serious snow (it was in the shop during the blizzard in December )

So, honestly, I was disappointed in how it performed today. On snow covered roads, I hit the gas lightly from a stop light and the front tires spin...even if I barely touch it. I can't start in 2nd gear, the limiter goes 1 to 2.

Then, I have a 10 degree uphill driveway. With about 1 inch of snow on it, I could not get the car up and in the garage without shoveling.

Would disabling the VSC help this? Honestly, I am concerned that if I am far from home and I am caught in a storm, this car ain't going to get me home without getting stuck.
My experience is it helps when the VSC is disabled. Good luck.

1. Make sure the car is in Park and the parking brake is disengaged before you start the car.
2. Start the engine.
3. Engage the parking brake.
4. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.
5. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.
6. Disengage the parking brake.
7. Fully depress and hold down the brake pedal.
8. Engage the parking brake, then disengage it (while holding down the brake pedal).
9. Engage the parking brake, then disengage it (while holding down the brake pedal).
10. Release the brake pedal.
11. Engage the parking brake.
12. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.
13. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.
When "VSC" warning light and slip indicator are turned on, you'll know that you have successfully completed the procedure.
Old 01-30-10, 05:53 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you, I will give it a try.

So, if the VSC system is on and engaged, is it working correctly if I push the gas and the car cuts back throttle to almost nothing to avoid the tires from spinning? It is such a horrible feeling when the light turns green and the car feels like it is starting in 3rd gear. This is on snow covered streets, of course.
Old 01-31-10, 07:35 AM
pestleman0
Driver

Originally Posted by MD350
Thank you, I will give it a try.

So, if the VSC system is on and engaged, is it working correctly if I push the gas and the car cuts back throttle to almost nothing to avoid the tires from spinning? It is such a horrible feeling when the light turns green and the car feels like it is starting in 3rd gear. This is on snow covered streets, of course.
If you disengage the VSC it will allow the power you need. Without the VSC disengaged it is extremely easy to get stuck in the least bit of snow.
Old 02-28-12, 11:39 AM
Greg2012
Driver School Candidate

Default Why disable VSC? I'll tell ya why!

VSC is the single most DANGEROUS "feature" when u live in the north, with snow and ice. I have been nearly killed when my engine cut out due to VSC when crossing a busy road during snow covered situations. When the car starts to side (which is NORMAL when driving on 6" of snow), the engine nearly cuts out. And when u r in the middle of a crossing with no engine power and headlights staring u in the face, u wish u could throttle the idiot programmer who programmed this stupid feature! It's the most stupid feature i have ever seen, and a shame it's not easilly diabled. A second reason is when you drive through heavy snow, u need some speed to get thru some drifts and low lying areas...and the LAST thing u want is to lose momentum because of the nanny VSC system. Don't get me going on the inability to use the GPS when driving. I understand this is a government problem, and our politicians never imagined the passenger could access the GPS, huh?
Old 02-28-12, 03:39 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Last year, I ran through a wet snow pile trying to get into a commercial driveway. Got hung up and the traction control would not let me barrel through or out of it. Got a push from another motorist and was out. Came back with my '07 Impala SS, disabled the traction control and crashed right through.
Old 02-28-12, 06:47 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Definitely on the 2011 ES the VTC and VSC can be disabled. Press the button once to disable the Traction Control so that you can extract yourself from snow etc. .........once you're up and moving at speed it automatically enables itself. Press the button for three seconds and both the Traction Control and Stability Control are disabled until the next engine start. This is all explained in your Owner's Manual.
Old 02-29-12, 06:04 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

My 2010 has the Disable function too. My 2007 didn't.

Quick Reply: Guide TO Disable (VSC) ES350 by ...Sultanaa