ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Enabling the NAV system features when driving

Old 01-05-11, 07:42 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by leslang4d
I too have a 2007 ES350 and need to swap out the old Nav disk for the latest version. Please confirm/give additional detail about the location of the Nav disk, how to get access to it, and replace it. That plastic strip with "Lexus" at the bottom of the nav screen seems pretty secure....any tips on how to get that off without breaking it???? By the way, the service dept at a local Lexus dealership said that the disk is located behind the radio, it takes a "special tool" to get it out and it's very complicated! That is why they charge $100 to swap it out.....that's the way to get more business!

Thanks for any help/replies!
Your dealership is kinda full of it. The disk is right behind the plastic strip.
I also was afraid of breaking the strip, but after using my two hands and pushing it firmly upward, it finally released, WITH NO TOOLS!! You then eject the old nav disk and then put in the new one. You have to find the proper page on the nav screen which allows the ejection of the disk. If you need further help, it's in the Owners Manual. Good luck.

Last edited by amf1932; 01-05-11 at 07:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-21-11, 03:57 PM
Bob91320
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So, anyone selling these?

Don't know anything about computers, burning disks, DVD or CD burners. So, who's gonna make these and sell them here? Sounds like a lot or work for a one time burn, but if you set your computer up and burn one, why not burn 10 or 20 or 30 and help us old brain dead dudes out?
Old 03-13-11, 06:03 PM
Derekc294
Driver School Candidate

Can we do this just to fool the car into thinking the car is in park? My AVIC DVD NAV unit I did the bypass on and it was easy. This seems like a lot of work or I am just getting old.
Old 05-11-11, 11:50 AM
krishnabh
Driver School Candidate

I have ES 350 and I tried the combination to override navigation system. It did not work. Am I missing something?
Old 05-23-11, 09:03 AM
jerfitz
Pole Position

Krishnabh,

Over the years since this thread was put here back in 2007 the number one reason the new CD re-burn fails is because your CD burner hardware will not burn the new double density CD properly. The solution is to try to burn the new CD on a friends CD burner.

JerryF
Old 06-25-11, 12:19 PM
LenniePaz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for this tutorial. I successfully made a hybrid disc out of the new 10.1 gen 5 disc. I was happy to see that you can do the finger tapping while the car is in motion.
Old 07-07-11, 06:55 PM
lexylexy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LenniePaz
Thanks for this tutorial. I successfully made a hybrid disc out of the new 10.1 gen 5 disc. I was happy to see that you can do the finger tapping while the car is in motion.
How does one get such a DVD if not a computer person? I wouldn't have a clue about the copying and etc...thanks in advance. PM if need be.
Old 07-07-11, 08:29 PM
LenniePaz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexylexy
How does one get such a DVD if not a computer person? I wouldn't have a clue about the copying and etc...thanks in advance. PM if need be.
If you are not a computer person, you are basically SOL. Read through these 8 pages and see if you can grasp what people are talking about.
Old 11-01-11, 07:50 AM
wbastone
Driver School Candidate

Default Navi w/o DVD

Good morning all, just picked my new '11 ES: w /navi. Just wondering is there any way to play a dvd on a non Levinson nav. I didn't realize the standard nav would not play them. It wouldn't have been a deal breaker, just disapointed is all.
Old 11-01-11, 09:54 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wbastone
Good morning all, just picked my new '11 ES: w /navi. Just wondering is there any way to play a dvd on a non Levinson nav. I didn't realize the standard nav would not play them. It wouldn't have been a deal breaker, just disapointed is all.
I'm afraid not.
Old 11-13-11, 11:56 AM
fcyam
Driver School Candidate

Smile Swapping out the ES350 navigation map DVD

Originally Posted by amf1932
Your dealership is kinda full of it. The disk is right behind the plastic strip.
I also was afraid of breaking the strip, but after using my two hands and pushing it firmly upward, it finally released, WITH NO TOOLS!! You then eject the old nav disk and then put in the new one. You have to find the proper page on the nav screen which allows the ejection of the disk. If you need further help, it's in the Owners Manual. Good luck.
Glad to be able to view this post. If this were just the 1" wide plastic strip, I might not be afraid to push up, but with it being double that width and having all the 5 command buttons on the lower half of the strip, it's likely something will break if I used further force. Wonder if you could explain further. Thanks.
Old 11-13-11, 12:05 PM
fcyam
Driver School Candidate

Smile Swapping out the ES350 navigation map DVD

Originally Posted by leslang4d
I too have a 2007 ES350 and need to swap out the old Nav disk for the latest version. Please confirm/give additional detail about the location of the Nav disk, how to get access to it, and replace it. That plastic strip with "Lexus" at the bottom of the nav screen seems pretty secure....any tips on how to get that off without breaking it???? By the way, the service dept at a local Lexus dealership said that the disk is located behind the radio, it takes a "special tool" to get it out and it's very complicated! That is why they charge $100 to swap it out.....that's the way to get more business!

Thanks for any help/replies!
After reading another member's reply, did you have luck replacing the map DVD? The bottom part of the "Lexus" strip on mine has 5 buttons and I am kind of scared to push up too hard in case something breaks or get disconnected. Could you explain further if you successfully swapped out the map by yourself? Thanks.
Old 11-13-11, 01:57 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by fcyam
Glad to be able to view this post. If this were just the 1" wide plastic strip, I might not be afraid to push up, but with it being double that width and having all the 5 command buttons on the lower half of the strip, it's likely something will break if I used further force. Wonder if you could explain further. Thanks.
I realized that after I made the original post, I should have explained that my car is the Luxury Edition with the Mark Levinson audio system, so the layout might be different , concerning how and where to install the Nav DVD. Sorry.
Old 11-15-11, 05:26 AM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by amf1932
I realized that after I made the original post, I should have explained that my car is the Luxury Edition with the Mark Levinson audio system, so the layout might be different , concerning how and where to install the Nav DVD. Sorry.
This is the map DVD cover being removed. The map DVD slot is behind it. Literally stick your thumbnails under this piece of plastic above the buttions and push straight up towards the top of the screen. To replace, just press down until it snaps at the bottom of each end.
Attached Thumbnails Enabling the NAV system features when driving-mapdvd.jpg  
Old 11-15-11, 06:37 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

That photo says it all...........good job!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Enabling the NAV system features when driving