ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

My car is in the shop for transmission replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-07, 11:22 AM
hcdesign
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car is in the shop for transmission replacement

I went Lexus Service Dept. on Feb 01, 2007 to get 5000mile scheduled service, and complained about occasional transmission flare on 3rd-4th gear and rattles on dashboard area. Service Adviser called me next day and saying my car needs transaxle replacement.

Anyone in this forum replaced their transmission after the NEW TSIB Released on Jan 19, 2007?

Last edited by hcdesign; 02-08-07 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-08-07, 12:40 PM
BillP
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure the guys that have had the replacement done will post soon, but if you look at the last couple pages of this thread you'll see some discussion on one or two replacements since the latest TSB. It appears the problem still exists. Mine has the 3-4 flair, but I'm waiting to see if Toyota/Lexus can really fix the problem before I let them go at my car. Hope the replacement fixes yours. Let us know.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=261671
Old 02-08-07, 01:14 PM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill - See my post in this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=263028

I would suggest you not do it unless you plan on potentially going through the process of pursuing a buyback from Lexus.

Pete
Old 02-08-07, 03:14 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

My transmission was replaced on 2/1. My new transmission is also defective too! My transmission still slips when going from 3rd to 4th gear.
Old 02-08-07, 03:36 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's a shame that the discussions on our ES350 cars are mostly about problems with the cars. For Lexus to have these problems should be unheard of in 2007. Having purchased a new Grand Cherokee and Impala SS these past few months, the discussions on www.jeepforum.com and www.newimpala.com are all about enjoyment and fun modifications to the vehicles. Nothing about quality issues, transmission issues etc with the vehicles. I would have expected Chevrolet and Jeep to have these issues, not Lexus / Toyota. And there are zero buybacks on ebay motors for these cars and many others.
Old 02-08-07, 05:06 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

HCDesign -- I'm just curious. I see that you're from Illinois and I was wondering whether you brought your car to Lexus of Naperville. Here's why I ask. My dad was in there the other day and personally observed approximately 15-20 used transmissions in a storage area just off the service department. When he asked one of the service guys about it, he was told that they were all defective ES350 transmissions, and that the truck would be by in a few days to pick them up and drop off some new ones. The service guy said that the dealership has been regularly replacing ES350 transmissions for the last few months, but that in recent weeks it has really picked up. Again, this is just hearsay, but the service guy told my dad that the truck comes every other week to pick up the old trannies and drop off new ones, and that usually there are about 15-20 waiting for them when they get there. I'm not sure how many the dealership stocks, but my guess is that it's more than just a few.
Old 02-09-07, 06:29 AM
hcdesign
Driver School Candidate

e-man,

I bought my ES350 at Mcgrath lexus of Chicago.
I am not surprised that your father saw bunch of used transmission at the dealer.
Old 02-09-07, 06:49 AM
hcdesign
Driver School Candidate

I picked up my car on Thursday (Feb 08) night, they did not replace transmission.
Service Adviser told me, Lexus engineer came out to take a look at my car (somehow I have no trust what he was saying) and he found out nothing's wrong with my transmission. So they just check the fluid level and adjusted
Please see attached JPEG.
I am not a car expert, so it will be helpful if someone explains to me.
Attached Thumbnails My car is in the shop for transmission replacement-trans.jpg  
Old 02-09-07, 06:55 AM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hcdesign
I picked up my car on Thursday (Feb 08) night, they did not replace transmission.
Service Adviser told me, Lexus engineer came out to take a look at my car (somehow I have no trust what he was saying) and he found out nothing's wrong with my transmission. So they just check the fluid level and adjusted
I took mine back to the dealership with the tranny #2 complaint. After two more days in the shop, they did re-confirm I still have a problem. They want me to come in next week and demonstrate it to the Region (District?) Service Manager, which I will gladly do. I believe my dealership knows full well what is going on and is trying to help me get it resolved. Interestingly, they also told me they adjusted the fluid level and maybe that would help (it did not).

Pete

BTW - Your JPEG did not post
Old 02-09-07, 07:11 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hcdesign
hc,

The loose translation of the above is...cannot duplicate...many of us have experienced. You likely will need to videotape the flaring to prove it as others have had to resort to though I know that is unfair you need to go through it to get a resolution.
Old 02-09-07, 07:45 AM
coleco
Rookie

I don't understand this transmission thing at all. Why the big push to replace the transmissions by the dealerships? They have to know that this isnt fixing the problem. Do they think replacing a deficient transmission with another deficient transmission gets them off the hook or something.? For me, I am still in a phone tag situation with the service manager regarding transmission replacement. Every time I call back and leave a message saying I dont want it replaced now, but would rather have a warranty extension and a replacement down the road when a real solution is found, he calls back and says just make an appointment and we will gladly put a new one in. Very Very puzzling. Its like they are not hearing what we are saying. (as an aside, and I am not trying to take over this thread but I found out my transmission was already replaced prior to me purchasing this 1000 miles ES car in August. Their answer when I asked why wasnt I told was we will put a new one in. I will update the other thread when I actually can talk to the manager and not play phone tag)
My wife came over while I was typing and asked what I was doing. I filled her in. She said, oh yea by the way.. lexus called yesterday. Your transmission is waiting!!! Its almost comical. Still, I love the car. hehe.

Coleco

P.S. They could not duplicate the flare either when I had it in for 2 days last week. They are taking my word on the flare issue which hasnt actually happened in a few days. Very peculiar.
Old 02-09-07, 10:42 AM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by coleco
I don't understand this transmission thing at all. Why the big push to replace the transmissions by the dealerships? They have to know that this isnt fixing the problem. Do they think replacing a deficient transmission with another deficient transmission gets them off the hook or something.? For me, I am still in a phone tag situation with the service manager regarding transmission replacement. Every time I call back and leave a message saying I dont want it replaced now, but would rather have a warranty extension and a replacement down the road when a real solution is found, he calls back and says just make an appointment and we will gladly put a new one in. Very Very puzzling. Its like they are not hearing what we are saying. (as an aside, and I am not trying to take over this thread but I found out my transmission was already replaced prior to me purchasing this 1000 miles ES car in August. Their answer when I asked why wasnt I told was we will put a new one in. I will update the other thread when I actually can talk to the manager and not play phone tag)
My wife came over while I was typing and asked what I was doing. I filled her in. She said, oh yea by the way.. lexus called yesterday. Your transmission is waiting!!! Its almost comical. Still, I love the car. hehe.

Coleco

P.S. They could not duplicate the flare either when I had it in for 2 days last week. They are taking my word on the flare issue which hasnt actually happened in a few days. Very peculiar.

When a company like Lexus, who is known for customer service, has a tranny issue and no known fix, they must still try to appease customers.

The fix will be a new transmission design whenever it comes out. So in the mean time they play the dog and pony show. They would never get away with telling a customer we will have a fix in 18 months, come back then. So they play games with fluid levels, parts repalcements, etc. in an attempt to appease the customer.

All they are focused on right now is preventing buy backs. As a new tranny design will take a very long time.

Last edited by widlfiresd; 02-09-07 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-09-07, 01:36 PM
mattvds
Rookie

The same thing happened to me, so I took it back to the dealership the next day and talked to the service manager. He was very helpful, they confirmed that my car still had a problem, and replaced my transmission.
Old 02-09-07, 04:54 PM
1seeker1
Rookie

Originally Posted by mattvds
The same thing happened to me, so I took it back to the dealership the next day and talked to the service manager. He was very helpful, they confirmed that my car still had a problem, and replaced my transmission.
Matt,

What is the "same thing" that happened to you? What dealer?
Old 02-09-07, 05:17 PM
OAKPLANK
Rookie

I still think that the problem is related to an on-board computer not controlling things like it should.
People that don't have the transmission problem, don't have the problem. The ones that have the problem, have the problem no matter how many transmissions are replaced. That tells me the issue is outside the transmission but related to it.
Hey, I'm not an expert..so what do I know. I just want to look at any thing that could shed some possibilities.
oakplank

Quick Reply: My car is in the shop for transmission replacement