ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Wind Noise - Part 3 --- Pics for DIY fix

Old 01-22-07, 05:18 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally--some really detailed and clear pics that help describe/explain the components regarding the wind noise issue...thanks a bunch, wanderer99!!!

FWIW--the wind noise in my ES emanates mostly along the "blue" lined area, mainly towards the B-pillar...I don't get/hear much wind noise in the A-pillar area at all.
Old 01-22-07, 07:02 PM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, kudos and a great job. Thanks for helping the CL community out.
Old 01-22-07, 07:42 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dreyfus
Yes, kudos and a great job. Thanks for helping the CL community out.
Thanks Dreyfus. I'm glad this has helped some people already.

toneman - I don't think it ever occured to me that other CL members might have issues in other areas except in the Green or Red zones. The fact that you have the problem in the upper\rear portion (Blue area) is interesting. At what speed does your wind noise start at?

Any other members care to post where their wind issues are coming from? We might be surprised....
Old 01-23-07, 05:43 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wanderer99

toneman - I don't think it ever occured to me that other CL members might have issues in other areas except in the Green or Red zones. The fact that you have the problem in the upper\rear portion (Blue area) is interesting. At what speed does your wind noise start at?

Any other members care to post where their wind issues are coming from? We might be surprised....

toneman and I share the area, both my cars had/have wind noise from the blue area and back slightly even to include return of B pillar. The high pressure nozzle horrid wind noise of former at about 65mph plus was from area in blue and behind to B pillar as though near or in B pillar and was minimized after two things happened, got car back from service having complained about the wind noise and that same day my father reset all window gaskets letting glass push them to final position. The wind noise at 40 mph plus or minus stayed same more or less though it was knocked back slight by my Dad's effort.

Current car....blue area and behind again, so far no horrid high pressure nozzle noise but constant at 40 mph plus though not as loud as former car. I haven't run it on the expressway yet and once done will advise.
Old 01-23-07, 12:49 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

wanderer99--yup, that's where my ears are telling my brain the wind noise is loudest...LOL!!! The noise starts around 45 mph and only gets louder as the speed increases; not deafening loud, mind you...but definitely not quiet like what other CL members have posted in this forum.

I did mess with the rubber strip about a week or so ago (prior to reading your detailed post/pics); I'll have to redo it 'cuz I think the noise issue got a wee bit worse after I reseated the strip...
Old 01-29-07, 06:32 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Those experiencing wind noise they believe to be coming from area indicated in Blue and further back to B pillar may wish to review info contained in window issue thread where door alignment is discussed and it's potential to allow both wind and exterior noise intrusion if door alignment is off. In my experience my former ES350 had very poor door alignment similar to pictures provided in window issue thread and more wind noise and exterior sound intrusion than current which has better door alignment. Other color areas may be involved with poor door alignment, but my experience with wind noise centers on Blue area indicated and further back to B pillar.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...t=Window+issue
Old 02-08-07, 09:23 AM
FAA
Driver School Candidate

GREEN = 'A' Pillar high speed wind noise. Sound seems to come from within the green zone in the pillar itself at speeds above 50mph\90kmh. Known fix = install missing PDI and chassis plugs under vehicle.
Will you plz explain the above , I could'nt understand this point.

(PDI) stand for what?

Thanks.
Old 02-08-07, 09:49 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FAA

(PDI) stand for what?

Thanks.

PDI=Pre-Delivery Inspection

He is talking about the rubber plugs the dealer is to place in holes on underside of car before you get the car at purchase. There is more detail on them (5 total each side of car) in wind noise thread part 1 and part 2..Look under Wanderer's posts by clicking his name in this thread select posts by him and look back and you will find that thread in archives, has pics too.
Old 02-08-07, 06:21 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FAA

(PDI) stand for what?

Thanks.
Click here and it will take you to page two of the Wind Noise Part 2 thread. Halfway down the page you'll see pictures showing missing plugs. Having these plugs installed stopped all my noise in the GREEN area.
Old 03-08-07, 10:11 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazing pics btw, just to verify, did the dealer do some of these inserts on your car? Or was everything done by yourself?
Old 03-08-07, 07:35 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ES3
Amazing pics btw, just to verify, did the dealer do some of these inserts on your car? Or was everything done by yourself?
Everything in Part 2 and 3 is dealer installed. This is where the black felt material was glued to the metal part of the door itself - that's all dealer. This corresponds to the 'red' zone in my first picture. This is not a TSIB. Lexus still has no official fix for this, or even anything that acknowledges this as an issue. My dealer found how to do this by contacting gappells dealer in the US. Up until that point my dealer agreed it was a problem and was awaiting a fix from Lexus. Lucky I forced them to call gappells dealer or I'd still be waiting for a fix.

Part 4 the "DIY" fix is all me. That's where the black felt is inserted into the rubber channel. This is easily removed, thus making it completely reversible. Obviously having felt glued to the metal of the car isn't reversible!
Old 03-08-07, 11:50 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everything in Part 2 and 3 is dealer installed. This is where the black felt material was glued to the metal part of the door itself - that's all dealer. This corresponds to the 'red' zone in my first picture. This is not a TSIB. Lexus still has no official fix for this, or even anything that acknowledges this as an issue. My dealer found how to do this by contacting gappells dealer in the US. Up until that point my dealer agreed it was a problem and was awaiting a fix from Lexus. Lucky I forced them to call gappells dealer or I'd still be waiting for a fix.

Part 4 the "DIY" fix is all me. That's where the black felt is inserted into the rubber channel. This is easily removed, thus making it completely reversible. Obviously having felt glued to the metal of the car isn't reversible!
Thx, I wonder if my dealer could talk to YOUR dealer for a little advice. I've got some annoying wind noise coming from the driver's side door. I think it's similar to what you were experiencing.
Old 03-12-07, 06:12 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Here is an observation:

The ES and the LS owners report wind noise, both are being sent away with excuses to attempt to justify the excessive wind noise being reported instead of offered a resolution.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=265337

Since there are, to my knoweledge, ZERO wind noise complaints among GS and IS owners, doesn't it make sense for there to be a thorough inspection of the window gaskets, shape and materials of all parts involved, in order to find out why there are no wind noise complaints on the GS and IS yet plenty on the ES and lately stacking up on the new LS too rather than tell people it is normal or call it buffeting or make people wait for some implied need enough complaints in order for something to be done about it
Old 03-12-07, 09:42 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I have the same wind noise issue on my 2006 ES330....the dealer deems it as normal
Old 03-14-07, 05:47 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kingofire
I have the same wind noise issue on my 2006 ES330....the dealer deems it as normal
AMF had let us know the wind noise had/has been an unresolved issue in 330 for several years worth of models.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wind Noise - Part 3 --- Pics for DIY fix