ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Video of Lexus ES350 "diesel" engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-07, 10:20 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BobBass
Does this make living with the noise any more palatable? Do ALL engines with timing CHAINS exhibit an unacceptable level of engine noise?

Just posing some questions to ponder.
The fast and easy answer to the above question is heck no, it does nothing for those hearing it every day, several times a day inside the car to be given one of three known excuses for it.

It is as annoying as for those who have it as it is for others who are annoyed by rattles and squeeks are annoyed.

Here are the three excuses given by those affiliated with Lexus, pick one depending on who is doing the excuse making and note there is no comment when bringing up some cars do not have this noise at all so how could not having it be normal if having it is normal or vice versa:

Timing chain

Or

Direct injection--although we don't have that

Or

Piston, but it's clearance is deemed normal
Old 01-17-07, 05:50 PM
1seeker1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As someone sitting on the sidellines waiting for this, the transmission, and wind noise issues to be resolved before committing to an ES350 purchase, has it been definitvely determined that the excess engine noise is due to the changeover to a timing CHAIN from a timing BELT? Or, is it also "piston slap?"

This was probably discussed before, but did Toyota engine designers make the decision that the benefit of using the longer-wearing timing CHAIN outweighed the negative of increased engine noise?

Does this make living with the noise any more palatable? Do ALL engines with timing CHAINS exhibit an unacceptable level of engine noise?

Just posing some questions to ponder.
Who knows what Toyota was thinking when they went with the chain instead of the belt. Given Toyota/Lexus' reputation for building quite cars, you would have thought they would not have gone the chain route, or, they would have devised a system to quiet the chain noise. Of course, thats assuming the noises we are hearing are attributable to the chain. I remember my 1986 Toyota Celica had the quietest engine, even at 100k miles. You literally could not tell it was on if it was idling in park!

I've heard the timing chain and injection reasons (per Bob's post above) for the noisy engines. It does not seem to be confined to the ES. All three ES's I have driven have sounded about the same - what some describe as diesel clatter, especially when cold and otherwise they "tick" or "click" when idling (even when warm). I don't think anyone knows the reason(s) for the noisy engine.

At one point, it was posted that things may change (at least with the transmission) starting with either later December or January builds. I would sure like to know if anyone has any further information on that. I also think it would be prudent to hold off a little longer before taking the plunge to see if there is some further word on resolution to the transmission issue. I know its difficult (I am the poster child) but you probably will save yourself potential headaches. It was not solved as of October builds.
Old 01-18-07, 06:17 AM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Do ALL engines with timing CHAINS exhibit an unacceptable level of engine noise?
Absolutely not.

I've never had unacceptable engine noise from any of the timing-chain-equipped cars I've owned.
Old 01-18-07, 06:26 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dreyfus
Absolutely not.

I've never had unacceptable engine noise from any of the timing-chain-equipped cars I've owned.

I agree as a result of all my experiences with timing chains in various vehicles and the sad thing to me is people are either forced-put in a position of telling customers this as an excuse I guess because they fear for their job or they choose to do it to customers and don't seem to understand nobody would buy the explanation of a timing chain causing this noise we hear in the car.
Old 01-18-07, 07:04 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by dreyfus
Absolutely not.

Same here, and I've had several...
Old 01-19-07, 11:54 AM
L.Sigworth
Driver School Candidate

I can see (hear) why your so upset with the diesel noise. I can't imagine why it's doing that. My ES350 is very quiet even at startup...
Old 01-19-07, 12:00 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by L.Sigworth
I can see (hear) why your so upset with the diesel noise. I can't imagine why it's doing that. My ES350 is very quiet even at startup...

LOL Lon...yes it is an ear opener along with being an eye opener for sure...

Scarier still when we are told it represents NORMAL operation of an ES350 as so many of us have been told when we complain about it
Old 01-20-07, 05:46 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It still sounds like lifter or pistons not getting lubrication soon enough upon cold starts. Still waiting for zero / sub zero overnight temps in PA to see what it will sound like.....
Old 01-20-07, 09:28 AM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

maybe u guys could try putting heavier weight oil if it takes 5w20 maybe try 10w30... or try adding some lucas oil stabilizer.. its a thicker additive.. worth a try to se if that helps then u can pin-point the issue
Old 01-20-07, 08:57 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

note, these diesel videos weren't recorded at cold start. They were recorded after driving on local california streets for 15 minutes. So they were cold-warm.
Old 01-27-07, 12:17 PM
Gus
Driver School Candidate

The recording is the same noise I have from cold start to after 20 miles of runing. Will be going into the dealer for the third time. They agree the noise is there and have turned it over to Lexus for a fix or exchange. i will believe it when i see it though. I don't think they know how to fix this problem.
Old 01-28-07, 04:37 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gus
The recording is the same noise I have from cold start to after 20 miles of runing. Will be going into the dealer for the third time. They agree the noise is there and have turned it over to Lexus for a fix or exchange. i will believe it when i see it though. I don't think they know how to fix this problem.

Gus,

Whatever they decide to do or not do will you please post results to let us all know when you know?

Also, since they acknowledge it, did they diagnose it as involving valves? They did on my former, only Lexus corporate denied all repairs. My current has it as well only not as severe as former.

Last edited by ES350Bob; 01-28-07 at 04:48 AM.
Old 01-31-07, 12:43 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if the 2007 v6 camry has the same engine, how come I don't hear people talking about a diesel noise in that car?

What's different about camry engine that would make it quieter?
Old 01-31-07, 09:51 PM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

i dunno bout the diesel noise ... but the tranny is having issues...
Old 01-31-07, 10:31 PM
1seeker1
Rookie

Originally Posted by dunnojack
if the 2007 v6 camry has the same engine, how come I don't hear people talking about a diesel noise in that car?

What's different about camry engine that would make it quieter?
Good question. I happened to walk out to my car the other night in a parking lot and a brand new Camry was parked next to me and idling. The driver seemed to be showing off his navigation screen to his passenger. You could see the blue lights across the parking lot.

I noticed how quietly the Camry was idling as compared to my ES 350 and wondered how it could be that my vehicle was so much noisier.

Quick Reply: Video of Lexus ES350 "diesel" engine noise