ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Security-Safety Question/Concern-Keyless Entry

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-06, 06:15 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Security-Safety Question/Concern-Keyless Entry

I wondered about the following and just got around to checking it out and am curious as to what others think.

If a couple, and each has a FOB, or there is a driving aged teen who has one of the two FOBS as a passenger, maybe ponder what I observed as to safety and security.

With one FOB in the car, it can be started and driven, so if a couple goes to the store or an ATM, other, or a parent does with passengers and only the driver gets out of the car with one of the FOBs and leaves the other people in the car as passenger and one passenger has a FOB, all anyone has to do is open driver door, get in and drive unless driver remembers to lock the car door using the key FOB lock to do it, not the door lock. Even if remembering to use FOB lock.....If windows are left down, anyone can simply reach in, unlock the driver door, get in and drive having disabled unlock door features for others in the car.

Depending on area you live or precautions you otherwise like to generally take, it may be helpful to be aware of this, or if you have a teen with FOB who rides often as passenger or vice versa.
Old 12-04-06, 07:00 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

This might also be true of the other models as well that have keyless entry.
Old 12-08-06, 02:25 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok your first post didn't quite make sense to me but I'm gonna reiterate it and you tell me if I understood your post correctly.

You're saying, both fobs are in the car and the driver gets out and leaves the car while the passengers (include the one with the 2nd fob) stays in the car.

And therefore that means anyone can hop into the driver's seat and hijack the car and kidnap the passengers?

Well, that's not any different than a driver of a regular car leaving the car running with the ignition in the keyhole isn't it? The front passenger has to lock the car.

With the smart key, the driver won't be able to lock the car with the fob if the other fob is inside the car.
Old 12-08-06, 02:37 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nextourer
ok your first post didn't quite make sense to me but I'm gonna reiterate it and you tell me if I understood your post correctly.

You're saying, both fobs are in the car and the driver gets out and leaves the car while the passengers (include the one with the 2nd fob) stays in the car.

And therefore that means anyone can hop into the driver's seat and hijack the car and kidnap the passengers?

Well, that's not any different than a driver of a regular car leaving the car running with the ignition in the keyhole isn't it? The front passenger has to lock the car.

With the smart key, the driver won't be able to lock the car with the fob if the other fob is inside the car.
It is very different than if a person left a key in ignition with car running and exited the car.

In this case, you turn off the car and leave with a key FOB, but as long as any one of the passengers has a FOB, a carjacker could just get in, start it and drive off. Some families now a days have the Mom or Dad in back seat area with infant(s), and there are other scenarios that could apply.

And yes you can lock the doors using a key FOB to perform the lock function after you have gotten out of the car and closed the driver door while another FOB is in the car.
Old 12-08-06, 03:22 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If a kid is locked in the car with the fob and the door is locked, if some one walks up to the door and trys to open it, it shouldn't open. Doesn't the signal have to come from outside of the door?

Second, this really is a non-issue even if they can open the door. If someone is in a car, and going to try and steal it, most liklely, they'll have a weapon. No teenager is going to refuse someone waiving a weapon at them telling them to open the door because most teenagers are smart enough to know that window glass won't stop them from getting killed.
Old 12-08-06, 03:28 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jeffofla
If a kid is locked in the car with the fob and the door is locked, if some one walks up to the door and trys to open it, it shouldn't open. Doesn't the signal have to come from outside of the door?

Second, this really is a non-issue even if they can open the door. If someone is in a car, and going to try and steal it, most liklely, they'll have a weapon. No teenager is going to refuse someone waiving a weapon at them telling them to open the door because most teenagers are smart enough to know that window glass won't stop them from getting killed.

It may be a non-issue for your circumstances but likely will be an issue of consideration for others with families where more than one FOB is involved, leaving one in the car while driver exits with his or hers.
Old 12-08-06, 04:44 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The owner's manual says, IIRC, that you shouldn't keep two smart key fobs in close proximity to one another. I think it has to do with signal interference and/or draining the battery.
Old 12-08-06, 04:48 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by enigma888
The owner's manual says, IIRC, that you shouldn't keep two smart key fobs in close proximity to one another. I think it has to do with signal interference and/or draining the battery.
Close is a relative term, maybe they mean side by side or something.
Old 12-08-06, 04:51 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

It really sounds like it's your safety issue, because it sure isn't mine. My point being is that if the door is locked, even with fob inside it, I don't know how they can get in. Have you tested that? There are different sensors - which if I am not mistaken are detailed in the owners manual. They are calibrated to be activated if the vehicle is approached, and others are calibrated to know that the FOB is in the car. If someone walks up to the car and its locked, just because they grab the door handle doesn't mean it will open. They have to have the FOB so the sensor knows they want in. The real threat is when the door is left unlocked. And that's the only time. As was stated previously, this can happen with any car. Of course, one can always live their life in fear and make it a habit never to leave someone alone in a car.
Old 12-08-06, 05:18 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

It really sounds like it's your safety issue, because it sure isn't mine. .
I already said it may not apply to your circumstances, though likely will be a consideration for others.

I didnt post this to debate it, just posted my observations others may wish to consider.
Old 12-08-06, 05:34 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

I'm not trying to debate either, Bob, but I think its irresponsble to call something a "security-safety concern" when it is not founded in fact. Now if you go out there and test this, and someone can open the locked door from the outside while someone else has the FOB on the inside, then I'll eat crow. But no need to get some people up in a tizzy until that happens.
Old 12-08-06, 05:39 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

I'm not trying to debate either, Bob, but I think its irresponsble to call something a "security-safety concern" when it is not founded in fact. Now if you go out there and test this, and someone can open the locked door from the outside while someone else has the FOB on the inside, then I'll eat crow. But no need to get some people up in a tizzy until that happens.

Maybe you didn't understand the post, it seems you did not, and I was not being at all irresponsible in posting it.
Old 12-08-06, 06:01 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
It is very different than if a person left a key in ignition with car running and exited the car.

In this case, you turn off the car and leave with a key FOB, but as long as any one of the passengers has a FOB, a carjacker could just get in, start it and drive off. Some families now a days have the Mom or Dad in back seat area with infant(s), and there are other scenarios that could apply.

And yes you can lock the doors using a key FOB to perform the lock function after you have gotten out of the car and closed the driver door while another FOB is in the car.
In that case, no. The door will NOT unlock if another fob is in the car. The car can sense whether the fob is inside or outside the fob.

And yes, my mistake. You can lock with the fob. You can't lock with the black button. Sorry about that.
Old 12-08-06, 06:06 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nextourer
In that case, no. The door will NOT unlock if another fob is in the car. The car can sense whether the fob is inside or outside the fob.

And yes, my mistake. You can lock with the fob. You can't lock with the black button. Sorry about that.
no problem next...I just posted my observations for others who are very accustomed to a key required start and did not think about keyless start where they have given the extra FOB to someone who is at times a passenger at the same time.
Old 12-15-06, 01:11 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Here is something new to entertain that was mentioned on IS forum and I checked it out on ES350.

It has plusses and maybe a minus to it.

You can start the car, get out with the FOB leaving car running and take FOB in the house and leave it there, then go back out to car and drive wherever you want without the key in the car at all.

Though do not turn it off away from home where FOB is or it will not restart and you will be stuck

A plus would be at car wash with attendants, just get out taking key FOB with you telling attendant not to shut off the car, you keep FOB and your attached keys with you at all times.

Quick Reply: Security-Safety Question/Concern-Keyless Entry