ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Your ES350 looks like the LS460

Old 11-06-06, 04:11 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your ES350 looks like the LS460

My secretary told me she saw a car downstairs that looked just like mine....and asked whether or not my car can self-park. I said no...thats the LS460. She said no way....that car was EXACTLY like mine. So I went downstairs to check it out, and it was a SGM LS460 indeed. From the front it looks very similar to the ES350. From the side it looks very similar except longer with a little sharkfin antenna on top. From the back it is a bit different. But overall, the trims are all the same from the outside....very deceptive. You can prolly fool half your friends with your car. To the untrained eye, they are practically the same car!
Old 11-06-06, 04:21 PM
glock22x
Driver School Candidate

hahaha I had the exact same thought when I first saw the LS! It's just our ES350 stretched
Old 11-06-06, 09:14 PM
cocopops
Pole Position

hehe.. i have only seen 1 LS460 from a distance so far. I do admit the rear does look similar to the ES350. But the interior is probably the one that will trounce our ES350. Has anyone been able to get a demo of the self-park? I went to 2 dealers but all their LS460s are sold.
Old 11-06-06, 09:34 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only visible difference is one measley little letter and a couple of rather insignificant numbers on the trunk lid.

Oh, and maybe an extra $25K or so on the window sticker.
Old 11-06-06, 09:35 PM
MR.FG
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is a family resemblence, but I would not mistake one for the other. On the inside the LS reminds me a bit of the GS what with the high console and all. Nice, but it did not blow me away, I WOULD like those reclining rear seats though
Old 11-07-06, 03:58 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see anyone mistaking an LS for and ES, and maybe that's because I own an ES and was up close to an LS last week Tuesday.

Mistake a Camry for an ES, yes, several times, don't know whether it is the 06 or the 07 Camry that looks so similar to our ES as I don't know that much about Camry. The front grille is different if you look at them face on but coming up from behind and profile from a distance, far easier to mistake the Camry than it ever would the LS.
Old 11-07-06, 05:00 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

if youre not a lexus owner all our cars are beginning to resemble one another due to the l-finesse styling. good thing? bad thing? i guess we will find out after a while.
Old 11-07-06, 06:01 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
I don't see anyone mistaking an LS for and ES, and maybe that's because I own an ES and was up close to an LS last week Tuesday.

Mistake a Camry for an ES, yes, several times, don't know whether it is the 06 or the 07 Camry that looks so similar to our ES as I don't know that much about Camry. The front grille is different if you look at them face on but coming up from behind and profile from a distance, far easier to mistake the Camry than it ever would the LS.
I agree. From every angle but the front you can really see the similarity with the new Camry.
Old 11-07-06, 06:09 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I agree. From every angle but the front you can really see the similarity with the new Camry.
Yeah, they are at times too similar looking when I think of the dollar difference, but I'm not familiar with Camry and assume the ES has a lot more going for it in other ways not limited to appearance similarities.

Also, I love the look and sound, blissfully quiet experience, of the new LS and truly do feel it would be hard to mistake the two. Maybe I'm biased about the LS...LOL
Old 11-07-06, 08:33 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

I actually think that a new LS exterior is a mix of ES and GS. I actually mistaken LS for GS from a side the last time I was at dealership. Definitely, L-finesse styling has a lot of similarities. I was actually surprised how short LS looked, comparing the view angle of those tv commercials I know they have another $80k stretched model of LS available, would like to see that...

And speaking of self-parking. I also had a number of people approach me at work asking if they can see self-parking on my car LOL!!! To them (non Lexus drivers), car looks just like the one in LS tv commercials
Old 11-07-06, 10:01 AM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

I don't understand why the luxury cars began doing this. I think it started with MB around 2000, when the C-class came out and looked like a smaller S-class. BMW followed with the 3,5, and 7 and now Lexus. I personally would rather see a unique design in each class and price point, rather than having a "smaller LS" (the ES) or a "smaller GS" (the IS).
Old 11-07-06, 10:59 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by PaJaHa1
I don't understand why the luxury cars began doing this. I think it started with MB around 2000, when the C-class came out and looked like a smaller S-class. BMW followed with the 3,5, and 7 and now Lexus. I personally would rather see a unique design in each class and price point, rather than having a "smaller LS" (the ES) or a "smaller GS" (the IS).
We were discussing the new G35 on another thread. From looking at pictures and TV ad only, the new model seems to look a lot like the larger M series Infiniti. There must be some kind of marketing logic behind all of the similarities.
Old 11-07-06, 11:06 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
We were discussing the new G35 on another thread. From looking at pictures and TV ad only, the new model seems to look a lot like the larger M series Infiniti. There must be some kind of marketing logic behind all of the similarities.
I agree, the M and the LS have very similar visual appeal as in would really love to have either...nothing specific I could point out from memory that is identical one to other, just very similar appeal...and both very quiet cars.
Old 11-07-06, 10:54 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

I went to a Lexus dealer today to see the new LS460. I ended up spending some quality showroom floor time in an LS460L. This dealer had at least 5 cars that I could see.

Before going into the dealership I was looking at my ES interior and giving it an 8/10. It looked really nice and I was happy with it.

Then I got into the LS460L. Consider this a warning - don't go near that car! After you've touched, sat, and played with everything and just relaxed in those rear chairs that are just awesome, you'll see things differently. I just sat in the car and marvelled at everything. Soooooooo many speakers. Soooo much wood. Everything is like a work of art. My wife says we have to get one now. LOL. I was extremely impressed. Yes, it looks like an ES, but an ES on steroids. Just watching someone in the rear seats move the seat backward\forward is a treat. I think its an absolute bargain for the money they're asking too. V8, 8 speed trans, all that included stuff like self parking, etc. Soft touch surfaces that are much softer than the ES ones.

Then we left and got back into our ES. Oh no! Now our interior feels like a 3/10 and we're riding in a Camry. That LS has changed our perceptions of what a Luxury car should be. 6 hours later and we're looking at our ES and it still looks like a 3/10. All the surfaces seem hard too now in our car, whereas before they seemed soft.

I also saw an LS460 driving in the rain as well when coming back up I-5 to Vancouver. It does look very much like a large ES when on the road.
Old 11-08-06, 01:05 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the ES and the LS looks so much alike to the untrained eye. biggest diffference is the exhaust

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Your ES350 looks like the LS460