ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

I want to change the All-Season Tires on my ES350

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-06, 04:29 PM
Citylights
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to change the All-Season Tires on my ES350

I would like to replace the stock Michelin tires on my car. I find the Michelin's to be adequate at best and are nosier than expected. Because I live in Southern California, I am interested in summer tires. I want a smoother, quieter ride so I am interested in "touring" summer tires as opposed to performance tires. To offset the cost, I just plan on selling my five Michelin A/S MXV's on Ebay. Four have less than 2K miles on them and the other is the unused spare.

I know that Lexus uses the "Toyo" brand for their summer tires. Are these good touring summer tires or are there better ones on the market? I am also unclear about the sensors needed. Do I need to change those as well (are they specific to tire) or can I use the existing ones? Do I need to reset anything in the car as well?

I would appreciate any help or advice...
Old 10-18-06, 04:41 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would review the Tire rack's offering and also consider the size 215/60 X 17 versus the 215/55 X 17. Price difference would save you $60 per set of four tires. I switched the size on my 2004 Lincoln LS from 225/55 X 16 to 225/60 X16 tires. They were a little taller but saved me almost $100 on a set of four tires (Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread - 740 UQ wear rating).
Old 10-18-06, 05:31 PM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Citylights
I am also unclear about the sensors needed. Do I need to change those as well (are they specific to tire) or can I use the existing ones? Do I need to reset anything in the car as well?
The only sensors are in the valve stems. They transmit the relative tire pressures to the car. Although Lexus says to replace them whenever changing your tires (at $170 a pop), you can reuse them.

They have to be reregistered with the car once back on, or if you get new ones. This is a dealer-only function, I think. Actually, I believe you don't have to reregister them if you replace them in the same position on the car (same wheel position they came from).

After that, you have to reset the software to accept the new tire pressures, which is done by pressing the left button under the dash to the right of the steering wheel.
Old 10-18-06, 05:43 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to be swapping for winter tires in the next 5 weeks. Wow - I thought it was 8 weeks, but its 5 (ski season starts ~Nov 22). I'm going to use my existing PP rims for Winter, then determine what to do with some new rims next March\April. Someone please sell me their UL rims

My Michelins won't be going back on. I'll change to probably the ComforTred tires, or maybe the TripleTred ones. The Michelins are just terrible on the coarse roads we have up here in the Northwest. Driving to Seattle\Portland is a PIA with all the noise in the car. I want quiet and comfort!!
Old 10-18-06, 07:01 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PM me when you find some ComforTreds. I couldn't find any when replacing my dad's Camry's tyres. I stopped a couple one day but they told me they got it from Abbotsford!
Old 10-18-06, 07:23 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

I really want the Comfortreds on now, but winter is coming fast so I'm stuck until next year now.
Old 10-18-06, 07:40 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same but

a) where to get them
b) I'm trying to push the cost of tyre replacement back since I'm only at 36,000km and my treads are worn (Integritys are pretty crappy).
Old 10-19-06, 06:37 AM
Ingram4868
Driver

Originally Posted by dreyfus
The only sensors are in the valve stems. They transmit the relative tire pressures to the car. Although Lexus says to replace them whenever changing your tires (at $170 a pop), you can reuse them.

They have to be reregistered with the car once back on, or if you get new ones. This is a dealer-only function, I think. Actually, I believe you don't have to reregister them if you replace them in the same position on the car (same wheel position they came from).

After that, you have to reset the software to accept the new tire pressures, which is done by pressing the left button under the dash to the right of the steering wheel.
I don't have my manual handy but I thought the button under the glove box was there so we could register the new tires.
Old 10-19-06, 07:16 AM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ingram4868
I don't have my manual handy but I thought the button under the glove box was there so we could register the new tires.
There's a button in the glove box that locks the trunk (so a valet can't get in if you lock the glove box and take the mechanical key).

The tire pressure reset button is next to the traction control button to the bottom right of the steering wheel.
Old 10-19-06, 09:11 AM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Default wow

Some of you may recall several weeks ago I mentioned that my previous MSM PP+ ES350 may be slightly quieter than my current UL ES350. I suspected wind noise but was unsure if the glass roof contributed. After reading about the tires, I am convinced that the noise level was due to different tires. The MSM PP+ had Toyo summer tires, while my UL has Michelin all-season. It's gotta be that. I examined the noise at 65+ mph and hear no wind leak or buffeting near any of the windows....so no wind noise. However, the road is still loud, so it MUST be the tires.
Old 10-19-06, 10:14 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

they dont make the goodyear triple tred assurance in the ES350 size do they, my mom had junk OEM Michelin MXV4 Energy or whatever they are called and they were terrible, assurance was night and day smoother grippier longer lasting and quieter
Old 10-19-06, 04:13 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Try Tire Rack or the Goodyear web site. I am sure they make the 215/60 X 17 versus the 215/55 X 17 standard ES350 size.
Old 10-19-06, 04:51 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Tirerack shows the ComforTred in 225/55/17 size. TripleTred is showing as 215/55/17 and 225/55/17 sizes. Won't the 225 fit in place of our 215 tires? I thought that was OK....
Old 10-19-06, 07:32 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

you can get away with putting 225 on a 215 just make sure it doesnt differ from stock overall diameter too much or the speedo might be slightly off a few percent
Old 10-19-06, 10:16 PM
riley2620
Driver School Candidate

Default Changing tires

It's funny that people don't like the Michelins. My car came equipped with the Toyos and I think they're terrible! They constantly lose pressure, are loud and rough on the highway and "follow the grooves" in the pavement. I drove a loaner ES350 with the Michelins and felt the ride may have been a little harder on the streets but on the freeway they made the car feel completely different than mine with the Toyos. The Michelins were quieter, made the car feel more solid and did not wander in the grooves.

I'm having the dealer switch them out right now. As for the Goodyear Comfortreads, they don't make them in the proper size for this car. I don't know too much about tires but several dealers said that changing the size of the tires is not recommended and is not as easy as "just going up a size" due to width, sidewall height, etc.

I'll let you know how they turn out.

Quick Reply: I want to change the All-Season Tires on my ES350