ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Personalized Settings

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-06, 06:50 AM
static
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The personalized setting for the Auto Headlights sensitivity, does anyone know if that setting also affects the Dash and Nav while the headlights are in manual on or off.

My dash and Nav change from night to day several times during the AM commute when passing under overpasses, it seems to be too sensitive.

or, can this be adjusted independantly of the headlights?
Old 12-13-06, 09:39 AM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by static
The personalized setting for the Auto Headlights sensitivity, does anyone know if that setting also affects the Dash and Nav while the headlights are in manual on or off.

My dash and Nav change from night to day several times during the AM commute when passing under overpasses, it seems to be too sensitive.

or, can this be adjusted independantly of the headlights?
Don't quote me here, but I had my auto headlight sensitivity adjusted and I haven't noticed a linked change in the dash/nav sensitivity. It could be that I just haven't noticed the change, but I think the dash/nav is unaffected by the auto headlight setting.
Old 12-14-06, 02:35 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dreyfus
Don't quote me here, but I had my auto headlight sensitivity adjusted and I haven't noticed a linked change in the dash/nav sensitivity. It could be that I just haven't noticed the change, but I think the dash/nav is unaffected by the auto headlight setting.
Maybe the dash/nav backlighting isn't directly affected by the auto headlight setting, but it appears to definitely be affected by whatever controls the ambient light sensor--I noticed that when I turned on my headlights during the day (it was raining), the dash backlight did not dim to nighttime brightness. I thought maybe I was imagining things, but messing with the rheostat (spin the wheel to full-on position) confirmed that I wasn't hallucinating at all.
Old 12-14-06, 02:40 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Slightly OT, but--I also find it a bit annoying that whenever you shift out of reverse gear, the nav screen will always revert to the map display...even if it was displaying a non-map screen (e.g., Audio) prior to putting the gear shifter in reverse...and even if you had previously configured the nav screen setting to not automatically switch to map display after having brought up a different display.

Edit--oh yeah, it does the same thing when you go into/out of hands-free phone mode using the steering wheel control buttons...

Last edited by toneman; 12-15-06 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-15-06, 02:33 PM
1seeker1
Rookie

Can someone tell me what LPS settings are on the ES350 (or at least tell me where to look in the manual)? I think the dealer told me there were 15 settings.
Old 12-15-06, 08:54 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1seeker1
Can someone tell me what LPS settings are on the ES350 (or at least tell me where to look in the manual)? I think the dealer told me there were 15 settings.
There is a "book" that comes with the car that outlines all of the personalized settings. But wait, according to the service adviser at the dealer there are only like 11 that you can choose from. The list is limited to:

I. Door Lock

1. Unlocking the driver’s door/all passenger doors
By pressing the remote key door unlock button, the following functions can be programmed:
1. Pressing the unlock button one time unlocks the drivers door, and two times
unlocks all doors. (Standard)
2. Pressing the unlock button one time will unlock all four doors.

2. Flashing of signal lights
Using the remote key, the following operations can be programmed:
1. Press the LOCK/UNLOCK button on the remote key and the lights will not flash.
2. Press the LOCK button and the lights will flash once, press the UNLOCK button and the lights will
flash twice. (Standard)

3. Unlocking of doors when placing vehicle into park
While the engine is running and the vehicle is placed into park the vehicle can be programmed as follows:
1. When placing the vehicle into park, all of the doors will remain LOCKED.
2. When placing vehicle into park, ALL the doors will automatically UNLOCK. (Standard)

4. Auto locking of doors at 13 mph
When the vehicle reaches 13 mph, the vehicle can be programmed as follows:
1. The doors will not lock. (Standard)
2. All of the doors will automatically lock.

5. Locking doors when shifting from park into another range
While the brake pedal is being pressed and the vehicle is taken out of park and placed into another range, the vehicle
can be programmed to operate as follows:
1. All of the doors will remain unlocked when shifting from park into another range.
2. The doors will automatically lock. (Standard)

II. Power Window and Roof

6. Using remote key to open all windows and moon roof
Pressing the UNLOCK button on the remote key for 2.5 seconds, the vehicle can be programmed as follows:
1. The windows will not roll down and the moon roof will not open.
2. All the windows will roll down and the moon roof will open. (Standard)

PSP's Note: Does not work on the Panoramic Roof of the UL

III. Trunk release

7. Opening the trunk
By pressing on the trunk release button, located on the remote key, the trunk will open. The release button can be
programmed to function as follows:
1. Press button one time to release the trunk. (No delay)
2. Press button two times to open the trunk.
3. Press and hold button for 0.8 seconds to release the trunk. (Standard)
4. The button can be turned off so the trunk cannot be opened using the remote key.

IV. Lighting systems

8. Illumination of cabin light
After closing the door, the interior lights can be adjusted to stay on for the following:
1. 7.5 seconds
2. 15 seconds (Standard)
3. 30 seconds

9. Illumination of the interior light
When the ignition switch is turned from ACC to LOCK, the interior cabin light can be programmed for the following:
1. Not illuminate.
2. To illuminate. (Standard)
* Note: The interior cabin light must be placed in the door mode.

10. Delaying headlights to turn off
After turning off the ignition and all the doors are closed, if the headlights are ON or in the AUTO position, the lights can
be programmed for the following:
1. Turn off immediately, when the vehicle is turned off and the driver door is opened.
2. Turn off in 30 seconds. (Standard)
3. Turn off in 60 seconds.
4. Turn off in 90 seconds.

11. Sensitivity of the automatic headlights
While driving the vehicle and the headlight switch is placed in the “AUTO” mode, the front headlights can be
programmed to turn on under darker or lighter ambient light conditions. Circle setting selection:
(very light) 1 2 3 4 5 (very dark)
3 is standard

I am real disillusioned with Mrs. Lexus and her car company. It is a real "Nanny Culture" that we deal with there. Between the speed lockouts of the Nav system (like the phone book) and the DRL on almost $50K of my hard earned money I think that they are FOS.
Old 12-16-06, 12:46 PM
1seeker1
Rookie

Thanks Peter, this was exactly what I was looking for. I'm almost afraid to tackle the phone book, I mean, manual that came with the car.

I agree about not being able to use most of the Nav functions while driving. I have faith someone will eventually figure our a way to get around it (through the software as compared to the hardwire option), though the car has been out more than six months now and I don't think anyone has figured it out.
Old 12-16-06, 02:45 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

Have a look through the "Navigation override" thread for most of your question. Lots of good info there.
Old 03-19-07, 01:04 PM
NoiseFree
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by thj
I always wear my seatbelt, but I couldn't get to the end of the driveway without the seat belt chime going nuts. That was the only LPS I changed. I had it disconnected.
THJ, I'd just like some clarification from you if possible.

It sounds like you were saying that sometimes you were late in putting on your seatbelt (like me), and you were reaching the end of your driveway and the belt chiming was going off before you had time to put on your seatbelt.

Is this correct, and are you saying that your dealer disconnected the chimes?
No chimes when you start up your vehicle with your seatbelt not fastened?

I was at my dealers last week and asked them to do this.
The service manager said that he couldn't deactivate the five chimes that sound when the engine starts and the seatbelt isn't fastened.

Thanks!
Old 03-22-07, 11:55 AM
jonest40
Driver School Candidate

If I had it to do again, I would have all the doors to unlock at the same time. It's a pain to forget to manually unlock the other doors when you're on the other side of the car (the passenger side) and have to circle back around the car to unlock the door. My remote key is normally in my purse that's on the passenger seat. I don't know if I articulated the problem correctly, but if you don't have your setting set to unlock all the doors at once you'll experience what I'm talking about if you don't keep your key on you.
Old 03-22-07, 12:33 PM
NoiseFree
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jonest40
If I had it to do again, I would have all the doors to unlock at the same time. It's a pain to forget to manually unlock the other doors when you're on the other side of the car ...
I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised to learn that you don't have to run around to the other side to unlock the doors!

Here's all you have to do. Unlock the back door that's on the same side as your driver's door. Don't use your remote for this. Just grab the handle and the door will open. At the same time all of the doors will open! This is the default setting.

(Sorry just re-read your post. I was assuming that your FOB was in your pocket.)
Old 03-22-07, 02:37 PM
static
Driver

Originally Posted by NoiseFree
Here's all you have to do. Unlock the back door that's on the same side as your driver's door. Don't use your remote for this. Just grab the handle and the door will open. At the same time all of the doors will open! This is the default setting.

This is true unless the engine is running, if it is running, you have go to the driver door, open it and unlock with the button inside. The FOB won't unlock them and touching the handles won't unlock them.
Old 03-22-07, 03:42 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NoiseFree
Is this correct, and are you saying that your dealer disconnected the chimes?
No chimes when you start up your vehicle with your seatbelt not fastened?

I was at my dealers last week and asked them to do this.
The service manager said that he couldn't deactivate the five chimes that sound when the engine starts and the seatbelt isn't fastened.

Thanks!
I know your question wasn't addressed to me, but to answer:

There is no documentation in the owners manual--specifically, in the Personalized Settings section--that mentions as to whether the initial 5 chimes that go off if your seatbelt is not fastened prior to starting the engine can be disabled. IOW--if the five chimes can indeed be disabled, then it is clearly not documented as a feature anywhere in the owners manual.

I can see why Lexus would not want those chimes disabled; if you have both sets of chimes disabled, then you would have no audible indicator reminding you that your seatbelt is unfastened. Now I can't speak for other countries, but I would not be surprised if U.S. DOT and/or NHTSA regulations require that some sort of audible seatbelt chime be present in motor vehicles sold in the U.S. Yes I know such would be pointless for deaf drivers but since the majority of drivers aren't that hard of hearing...
Old 03-24-07, 06:51 AM
jerfitz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by static

Try this. Do NOT have your headlights on AUTO. My point is that, maybe, during your morning commute as you go under an overpass your headlights turn and then off again after passing through the overpass. This will cause the NAV screen to go into night mode (reduces glare at night) and then back into day mode.

JerFitz
Old 03-24-07, 12:16 PM
static
Driver

Originally Posted by jerfitz
Try this. Do NOT have your headlights on AUTO. My point is that, maybe, during your morning commute as you go under an overpass your headlights turn and then off again after passing through the overpass. This will cause the NAV screen to go into night mode (reduces glare at night) and then back into day mode.

JerFitz
I never use Auto headlights.

I had the sensitivity adjusted at the 5K service and it's slightly better now.

Quick Reply: Personalized Settings