ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Manual nav hack switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-08, 08:30 PM
jgtile
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if I am ready to take on this job! I am not a tech guy or anything. Actually, I am a wuss! Don't want to screw anything up! Think I am going to have to live with the voice recognition....oh no!
Old 04-12-08, 04:57 PM
static
Driver

I finally did this mod. I had been using a 5.1/6.1 dvd and sonartech's mod for enabling the music and phone, etc. Recently got the 7.1 DVD and didn't want to go through the reburning hack again and when you disconnect the battery to load the dvd, you lose some of your customized LPS.

It seemed a pain to me to go through the routine, Menu, Volume, imaginary icon press 4 times, hold down the override, then the back icon.

Much simpler to just flip the switch, let the passenger make whatever change necessary, then flip the switch back.

I installed the switch in-line with the blue wire after relocating it per sonartech's mod. Located the switch under the dash next to the AFS switch.

The car gets lost momentarily but snaps right back to the correct location within 10 or 20 seconds.

The music and phone, etc are still enabled all the time.

Having tried the hybrid dvd method and this one, I prefer using the switch.

Thanks again to all who posted suggestions, instructions, etc. about this.

Last edited by static; 04-12-08 at 05:11 PM. Reason: added info
Old 06-11-08, 02:19 PM
static
Driver

a t-shirt made for those that did this mod!

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/generic/8f52/
Old 12-27-08, 10:41 AM
elementau
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rboyle23
I wish I could do it that way but I do not have a slot open on that panel...Shade, Park Assist, Gas and Trunk

Has anyone done this that has all 4 slots occupied? Where did you place it instead if you have done it?

I pulled out the park assist and left it floating behind the panel How often do you use that switch anyways? Never. So just replace it.
Old 12-27-08, 06:30 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unbelievable that some people would 'hack up' such a beautiful car....what is the advantage of disabling this function...maybe voiding your warranty.....??..What's next replacing the Nav system with a WalMart Garmin???
Old 12-28-08, 06:05 PM
jerfitz
Pole Position

LexPaul,

We who did this hack did not disable a function but, on the other hand, we enabled a function that was previously disabled by Lexus.

By the way, I agree with your idea that replacing the Lexus NAV system with a Garmin is a good one because my Garmin 5000 is so much better than the Lexus Nav system in my 2007 ES350.
Old 12-29-08, 05:44 PM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexPaul
Unbelievable that some people would 'hack up' such a beautiful car....what is the advantage of disabling this function...maybe voiding your warranty.....??..What's next replacing the Nav system with a WalMart Garmin???
I agree with jerfitz, we're enabling our cars to do what they should have been able to do all along.

I can dial from my phone book and see MP3 filenames while driving. My wife can input addresses in the NAV without me pulling over. It is very handy.

As for warranty, it doesn't void it and when Lexus pulled my head display for another problem they couldn't care less about the mod. If I ever want to undo it, a simple reconnect of the speed wire, pull out the switch, and the car is factory original.

But I'll be keeping it as is. Beautiful AND functional.
Old 03-17-09, 03:15 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Fellas, is the bypass good for 30 seconds or so (as it is in the GS) or is it unlimited?
Old 03-17-09, 07:40 PM
dreyfus

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
Fellas, is the bypass good for 30 seconds or so (as it is in the GS) or is it unlimited?
The MP3 folder and phone book screens are unlimited. The destination screen lasts a shorter time that seems to be irregular to me. Sometimes it locks out (meaning I have to flip the switch to normal, wait a few seconds, then back to custom) after 30 seconds, sometimes it's a few minutes. I find I usually get a minute or longer. The interruption doesn't cancel what you're doing at the time. When you re-enable you simply pick up where you left off.
Old 03-17-09, 08:10 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dreyfus
The MP3 folder and phone book screens are unlimited. The destination screen lasts a shorter time that seems to be irregular to me. Sometimes it locks out (meaning I have to flip the switch to normal, wait a few seconds, then back to custom) after 30 seconds, sometimes it's a few minutes. I find I usually get a minute or longer. The interruption doesn't cancel what you're doing at the time. When you re-enable you simply pick up where you left off.

Same in the GS, there must be a way to trick the system.......
Old 05-23-09, 07:54 PM
Budhah
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
Same in the GS, there must be a way to trick the system.......
You mean like knowing where you want to go before you put the car in gear??? I was told this by a dealer, and I asked him when last time he drove with his wife or kids?? Always changing their minds where they want to end up, or whose house gets to have a party.
Old 08-07-09, 08:59 AM
jgo3031
Driver School Candidate

I just installed the switch and find it locking me out quite often (after using the disable switch). This is fairly inconvenient, I wish there was a way (as EyeKutr says) to trick the system better. I did the same thing with an Infiniti FX and this doesn't happen - the disable is effective as long as the switch is thrown.

Strange, but the hack does help a bit.
Old 08-10-09, 10:15 AM
dreyfus

Originally Posted by jgo3031
I just installed the switch and find it locking me out quite often (after using the disable switch). This is fairly inconvenient, I wish there was a way (as EyeKutr says) to trick the system better. I did the same thing with an Infiniti FX and this doesn't happen - the disable is effective as long as the switch is thrown.

Strange, but the hack does help a bit.
Yes, the GPS signal eventually overrides the non-functioning speed sensor to reenable the map lockouts. You have to turn the lockout off, wait a few seconds, then turn it back on again. At least you don't lose whatever you were doing with the nav at the time (inputting an address, for example).

But you do always have full access to your music and phone screens. These lockouts are always disabled when your switch is thrown.
Old 08-20-09, 07:21 AM
dylan20
Driver School Candidate

Hey Guys,

Did anyone lose voice guidance (no turn-by-turn directions) after this hack???

PLZ HELP!!
Old 08-20-09, 03:48 PM
dylan20
Driver School Candidate

Anyone out there?!?!?!

Quick Reply: Manual nav hack switch