ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES 350 Reviews Official Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-08, 09:49 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

2008 AutoPacific Intellichoice Motorist Choice Awards (Lexus LS Top Overall Car) . See below for ES350 information.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2008 Motorist Choice Awards

http://www.intellichoice.com/press/2008_motorist_choice

Campbell, CA/Tustin, CA - August 06, 2008 - IntelliChoice.com, the online source for automotive ownership cost and value analysis, and AutoPacific, the industry source for owner satisfaction rankings, today announced the results of their third annual Motorist Choice Awards for model year 2008. With better than expected insurance costs, the Toyota Sequoia scored highest of any vehicle, a position bolstered by its standing as best in ownership costs and best in retained value. Most surprisingly, this year's list of winners does not include vehicles from Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge or MINI Cooper.

There were some relatively new winners garnering top spots including the Nissan Rogue and the Honda Fit, and although the list is fairly diverse among manufacturers, Toyota (10 awards including Lexus), and General Motors (nine awards), thanks to brands such as Cadillac, Chevrolet and Saturn, dominated.

The Motorist Choice Awards were designed by AutoPacific and IntelliChoice.com to recognize the vehicles that delivered both the highest customer satisfaction and the lowest cost of ownership. The awards take AutoPacific's owner satisfaction data from new car and truck buyers and combine those data with IntelliChoice.com's rating methodology to create a new kind of award that speaks to both the hearts and wallets of car buyers.

"Several winners this year are relatively new, such as the Nisan Rogue, Honda Fit, GMC Acadia and Saturn SKY, while others are a surprise, such as the Large Light Duty Pickup and Compact Pickup winners, the Chevy Avalanche and Honda Ridgeline. The surprise is that neither of these are what would be considered 'regular' trucks and therefore show their value to their owners," said James Bell, publisher and editor of IntelliChoice.com. "The absence of Jeep, Chrysler and Dodge vehicles is regrettable and parallels their current sales situation. None of the vehicles from these brands rated particularly well within either AutoPacific's or IntelliChoice.com's individual analysis."

"Due to the economy and fuel costs, more and more people who want a larger vehicle are focusing on Crossover SUVs rather than traditional SUVs or gas-guzzlers. We added two new Crossover segments highlighting this growing class of vehicle," said George Peterson, president of AutoPacific. "In fact, in our Large Crossover SUV segment, every vehicle is an all new release within the last 24 months. The contenders for both new Crossover SUV segments are two of the closest categories."

WINNERS
For this year's awards, Intellichoice.com and AutoPacific identified 27 winners in 26 segments (see below table) and selected winners in four major categories of vehicle. This year's roster added three new segments: Large Crossover SUV, Premium Luxury Crossover SUV, and Premium Mid-Size SUV. These additions highlight the recent growth of the SUV market just as sales of these vehicles are stalling.

* Cars: Lexus LS (Top Overall Winner)
* Trucks: Chevrolet Avalanche
* SUV/Crossover: Toyota Sequoia (Top Overall Winner)
* Minivans: Toyota Sienna

Bell added that any vehicle scoring 700 or higher in the Motorist Choice Awards can be considered in the top tier of highly desirable new cars or trucks. "There were 44 outstanding vehicles scoring 700 or better. Last year, only 25 vehicles scored above that standard, which certainly speaks to the quality of vehicles being produced today. Some vehicles scored very well, but didn't make the winner's list due to other even higher-scoring vehicles in their segment. The Premium Luxury SUV segment is a perfect example, as there are ten vehicles in that segment and nine of them scored 700 or higher. In fact, the Cadillac Escalade topped the Lexus GX by just four points."

The complete list of winners for the 2008 Motorist Choice Awards include:

WINNERS by category
Aspirational Luxury Car Lexus IS
Compact Car Toyota Corolla
Compact Pickup Honda Ridgeline
Compact SUV/Crossover SUV Nissan Rogue
Economy Car Honda Fit
Image Compact Car Volkswagen GTI
Large Heavy Duty Pickup Chevrolet Silverado 2500/3500
Large Light Duty Pickup Chevrolet Avalanche
Large SUV Toyota Sequoia
Large Crossover SUV GMC Acadia
Large/Luxury Car Cadillac DTS
Luxury Mid-Size Car Lexus ES
Luxury Crossover SUV Lexus RX
Mid-Size Car Subaru Outback
Mid-Size SUV Hummer H3
Mid-Size Crossover SUV Toyota RAV4
Minivan Toyota Sienna
Premium Luxury Crossover SUV BMW X5
Premium Mid-Size Crossover SUV Toyota Highlander
Premium Luxury Car Lexus LS
Premium Luxury SUV Cadillac Escalade
Premium Mid-Size Car Chevrolet Impala
Premium Mid-Size SUV Toyota 4Runner
Premium Sports Car Audi TT and Chevrolet Corvette (tie)
Sports Car Saturn Sky
Sporty Car Ford Mustang
Old 08-28-08, 06:16 AM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great find LEXBob2
Old 10-15-09, 08:44 AM
Jeannie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a new owner of a beautiful ES 350 with all of the bells and whistles. I was looking for a comfortable ride. After test driving a few other brands, including an Avalon and a Genesis, I test drove an ES 350 at the dealer. I also did a lot of research on the most comfortable riding cars. I settled on the ES 350, and the dealer placed me in a different color vehicle and I was off...only to be greatly disappointed in the ride. I could literally feel every tiny bump in the road. After driving it only a few miles, my back was hurting from the jarring ride. I called the dealer and lodged my complaint. While they have been very nice, they deny there is anything wrong with the vehicle. I have ridden in a lot of vehicles, including a Nissan, a Hyndai suv, a Volkswagen GTI, a Buick, and even a Lexus suv. This car has one of the worst rides ever. Within the first mile of being in this car, I am in pain from the extremely uncomfortable and jarring ride. I am now having others drive this car to confirm the ride. So far, 100% of the people have agreed that the ride is awful. This car handles well, looks beautiful, and receives a lot of compliments. However, I would never buy another one and am looking to trade in this brand new car for one that I can ride in for more than one mile without it jarring me. It has 1000 miles on it. The dealer says it rides as it is supposed to. I know this isn't true.
Old 10-15-09, 09:05 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Check the tire pressure on all four tires. The cars are delivered with around 40lbs PSI for transit from Japan, and should be adjusted prior to delivery. The recommended presure on mine ('07) is 32 lbs per the mfgr. label on the door jam.

I had the same issue as you and after setting the tire pressure to the correct levels, things were fine. Good luck.
Old 10-15-09, 09:10 AM
Jeannie
Driver School Candidate

Default Tire pressure

I agree on the tire pressure and that was the first thing I checked when I got home. They had over inflated the tires. I reduced them to the 30 psi as recommended by Lexus then to 28. While this made a slight improvement, it did not fix the problem. Ironically, when the dealer looked at the car for my complaint that it rode rough, they over inflated the tires again and returned it to me saying there was nothing wrong.

Thanks for your input though. I really like this car except for the ride, which is a deal breaker for me.
Old 10-15-09, 10:32 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeannie
So far, 100% of the people have agreed that the ride is awful.
FALSE!!! I have my '07 ES350 since May 2006, and to this day I as well as the majority of owners agree that this car has an exceptionally smooth ride.
So why the 100% figure that you use to mislead potential buyers? Maybe you mean 10%. I really didn't like your post!!!
Old 10-15-09, 06:21 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree on the tire pressure and that was the first thing I checked when I got home. They had over inflated the tires. I reduced them to the 30 psi as recommended by Lexus then to 28. While this made a slight improvement, it did not fix the problem. Ironically, when the dealer looked at the car for my complaint that it rode rough, they over inflated the tires again and returned it to me saying there was nothing wrong.

Thanks for your input though. I really like this car except for the ride, which is a deal breaker for me.
I'm not even sure if we're talking about the same car here. The Lexus ES 350 is universally known for its smooth ride, even from its hard core critics. This car is isolated from road noise, smooth, a virtual "cocoon on wheels" as described by US News Rankings. My wife and I test drove an 09 Infiniti M35, and right off the bat we both commented on the road noise and how the ride was not as smooth as the Lexus, the BMW 5 series = 'sporty ride' = more road noise. In fact my wife liked my 09 ES so much that she went out and found a fantastic deal on a very low miles, 05 ES 330. That car is awesome!!...., I recommend if you can find a smoother, quieter ride, then buy it!!......
Old 10-15-09, 08:45 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Check the tire pressure on all four tires. The cars are delivered with around 40lbs PSI for transit from Japan, and should be adjusted prior to delivery. The recommended presure on mine ('07) is 32 lbs per the mfgr. label on the door jam.

I had the same issue as you and after setting the tire pressure to the correct levels, things were fine. Good luck.
That's strange........the label on my door jam said 30 lbs as the recommended pressure.
Old 10-16-09, 06:18 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by amf1932
That's strange........the label on my door jam said 30 lbs as the recommended pressure.
My mistake, it is 30 lbs. on the sticker. I run mine at 32 lbs.
Old 10-16-09, 07:46 PM
Jeannie
Driver School Candidate

I agree that this car is supposed to have a smooth ride, which is why I bought it. It does have a quiet ride. It is a 2009 ES 350. And if you haven't ridden in MY car, then you can't possibly know what I'm talking about. Trust me, my car does not ride smoothly or cushiony. My aching back will attest to that. I would say there is something wrong with it, but the dealer says there is nothing wrong with it. It is riding as expected. So I can only go by that. And you are right...it is only all of the people outside of the dealer who I have asked to drive the car to see if it rides roughly to them too. I shall continue to poll the people. As I said, it is a beautiful car and except for the ride, I very much like it.

Last edited by Jeannie; 10-16-09 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-16-09, 08:08 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

I agree that this car is supposed to have a smooth ride, which is why I bought it. It does have a quiet ride. It is a 2009 ES 350. And if you haven't ridden in MY car, then you can't possibly know what I'm talking about. Trust me, my car does not ride smoothly or cushiony. My aching back will attest to that. I would say there is something wrong with it, but the dealer says there is nothing wrong with it. It is riding as expected. So I can only go by that. And you are right...it is only all of the people outside of the dealer who I have asked to drive the car to see if it rides roughly to them too. I shall continue to poll the people. As I said, it is a beautiful car and except for the ride, I very much like it.
Ah ha......I figured it out!! You have, "The Princess and the Pea" syndrome.
Old 01-02-10, 07:35 PM
pgh300
Driver School Candidate

I am a new owner of a beautiful ES 350 with all of the bells and whistles. I was looking for a comfortable ride. After test driving a few other brands, including an Avalon and a Genesis, I test drove an ES 350 at the dealer. I also did a lot of research on the most comfortable riding cars. I settled on the ES 350, and the dealer placed me in a different color vehicle and I was off...only to be greatly disappointed in the ride. I could literally feel every tiny bump in the road. After driving it only a few miles, my back was hurting from the jarring ride. I called the dealer and lodged my complaint. While they have been very nice, they deny there is anything wrong with the vehicle. I have ridden in a lot of vehicles, including a Nissan, a Hyndai suv, a Volkswagen GTI, a Buick, and even a Lexus suv. This car has one of the worst rides ever. Within the first mile of being in this car, I am in pain from the extremely uncomfortable and jarring ride. I am now having others drive this car to confirm the ride. So far, 100% of the people have agreed that the ride is awful. This car handles well, looks beautiful, and receives a lot of compliments. However, I would never buy another one and am looking to trade in this brand new car for one that I can ride in for more than one mile without it jarring me. It has 1000 miles on it. The dealer says it rides as it is supposed to. I know this isn't true.
Stupid question but does your car possibly have run flats? I had a set of Runflats on a GS300 AWD and it rode like a tank swapped to michelin MX$'s and it rode awsome.
Old 01-16-10, 06:31 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post CarConnection

* Luxurious interior
* Strong but muted powertrain
* The Lexus dealership experience
* Top-of-the-class safety

Dislikes:
* Bland exterior
* Doesn't have much personality
* Lack of driving feedback
The front-wheel-drive Lexus ES 350 has long been the most subtle car in Lexus' already hardly overt lineup—appealing to those who want a smooth, responsive, quiet, and very comfortable luxury car, with some world-class technology features inside. What separates the ES 350 from the Toyota Camry are exterior styling and interior refinement. The two models share basic manufacturing elements, but Lexus owners enjoy elevated customer service. For 2010, the ES 350 gets a number of changes, but it doesn't deviate one bit from its formula—all the while delivering the performance to satisfy all but real enthusiasts.

While the ES 350's rear end is appealing and tasteful, the profile is rather conservative and featureless, save for out-of-place, aggressive headlamps. Although it's still quite bland on the outside, the 2010 ES 350 gets the equivalent of a 'sharpen,' in photo-editor-speak. A new grille looks a bit larger, with a lot more chrome and a slightly different headlamp design to match, while the front corners have been brought out a bit more. New fog lamps and a wide, thin lower air dam complete the new and slightly different look in front, while the tail lamp design has been modified to suit the front details. Alongside, metallic trim for the side sills bridges the wheel wells, and new wheel designs also help freshen the look. The interior takes a slightly different direction, becoming warmer and softer, yet brighter, though the overall look is also very conservative.

Nothing has changed about the way the ES 350 drives, and that's a good thing. Based on previous experiences with the ES, it's still serene and soft, but not at all bouncy, with the torquey and well-muted 272-horsepower, 3.5-liter V-6 churning through the six-speed automatic and front-wheel drive expeditiously and responsively but without undue fanfare. It propels the ES to 60 mph from a stop in just 6.8 seconds while managing fuel economy ratings of 19 mpg city, 27 mpg highway. Handling is competent and predictable, but the driver isn't involved in the process. The steering is responsive but lacks any recognizable feel of the road surface; that, combined with lots of body roll and ample tire squeal actively discourage hard cornering. While ride quality on the highway is superb, the car’s steering doesn't offer enough on-center feel, which means you're constantly making minor adjustments to keep it tracking straight.

Last year’s model finally shed its Toyota-esque interior cabin for the full and proper Lexus treatment, with soft-touch plastics, wood veneers, and quality leather trim on the steering wheel and shift ****. The 2010 Lexus ES 350 has exceptionally comfortable front seats, and in back ample space and a well-shaped rear bench create a relaxing place for two more adults. Trims and upholstery in the ES 350 have now been given a big upgrade versus last year, erasing any questions about whether the ES interior is much better than the top-of-the-line Camry. Contrast-stitched leather upholstery is now standard, with double stitching included with an Ultra Luxury Package, and richer-looking wood and bright-chrome trims add accents at the center stack and just above the glovebox. There's also a good deal more metallic-look trim throughout the interior and walnut and maple wood trims have been added, while leathers are supple and enveloping, with plenty of soft-touch surfaces all around. All the while, the interior is nearly silent and the ride pillowy, though the suspension is arguably a little too soft and wallowy for some country roads.

Safety is one of many good reasons to choose the 2010 ES 350; it gets a "good" rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety in frontal and side protection (though it's "marginal" in the seat-based rear impact test), and NHTSA gives it five stars for front protection, five for driver side impacts, four stars for passenger side impacts, and four stars for rollover protection. Standard safety equipment includes eight airbags, anti-lock brakes with electronic brakeforce distribution, and stability control. Rear-seat side airbags have also been added for 2010, bringing the ES 350's airbag count up to 10. All ES models additionally get the Safety Connect system, which uses cellphone technology and GPS transceivers to provide Automatic Crash Notification, Stolen Vehicle Location, emergency assistance (through an SOS button), and Roadside Assistance services. A 24-hour call center aids roadside assistance.

The standard equipment list for the 2010 Lexus ES 350 is vast and includes 17-inch alloy wheels, a power-adjustable steering wheel with audio controls, ritzy Optitron gauges, 10-way power-adjustable front seats, keyless entry with push-button start, climate control, fog lamps, moonroof, a self-dimming mirror, a trip computer, and a six-CD changer. Center-console storage has been improved and rain-sensing wipers are newly standard this year. Other features include a SmartAccess key fob with push-button start/stop, power tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel, 10-way power seats, and a new multi-information display. A dramatic new panoramic glass sunroof is available as well on the Lexus ES 350. The nav system has now been updated to the latest version, with Bluetooth audio now part of the package, along with Bluetooth hands-free features, a USB port, and XM satellite radio. The Lexus Enform suite of services is newly available on the ES, adding several satellite-radio subscription services, including Destination Assist, which enables operator-assisted destination entry; the Web site-driven eDestination; and a host of information services. Top options are rolled into the Ultra Luxury Package, including Intuitive Park Assist, perforated leather with heated and ventilated front seats, a panorama glass roof, a power rear sunshade, and HID headlamps with AFS to help in dark corners.
Other Choices:
If you like the 2010 Lexus ES 350, also consider:
* Acura TL
* Buick LaCrosse
* Hyundai Azera
* Lincoln MKZ
* Nissan Maxima
Reason Why:

The 2010 ES 350 is one of many conservative, front-wheel-drive sedans that favor ride and comfort over performance, to differing degrees. The Hyundai Azera and new Buick LaCrosse also tend toward the comfort end of the scale, but both have a very competitive price and the Buick in particular has an expressive new interior that's arguably better looking than that of the Lexus. Acura's TL is a bit sportier than the ES 350, though some of its styling details, like its grille, aren't to everyone's liking. The Lincoln MKZ is a sharper-edged car, with an interior that is at the same time more stylish but less rich-looking. The Lincoln’s engine also has more growl, and it's available with all-wheel drive. The Nissan Maxima is also a sportier option; it has a roomy, stylish interior and more of an emphasis on performance, but it lacks the refinement and isolation of the overall experience in the Lexus and doesn't offer the excellent Lexus dealership experience.

The Bottom Line:
Comfort-minded buyers who room for four in a sensibly-sized sedan—and still want the latest technology—won't be able to do much better than the 2010 Lexus ES 350.

Old 03-07-12, 05:58 PM
dgraham
Driver School Candidate

3/02/12 carmd has the 2007 ES 350 rated as no. 1 of 5 top preowned luxury vehicles to purchase
Old 04-01-12, 05:24 PM
hpowders
Driver School Candidate

I notice Consumer Reports gave the Lexus ES 350 a complete red circle for ride quality meaning "the best". Rare that the poster above complained about the ride quality.

Last edited by hpowders; 04-01-12 at 05:48 PM.

Quick Reply: ES 350 Reviews Official Thread