ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Whining noise when making a turn

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-19, 10:45 PM
aydogdu197
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whining noise when making a turn

Hi all,

I have a 2004 lexus ES330. It makes a whining noise when I push the gas pedal when making turns. It doesn't make it when going with high speeds. Steering wheel liquid was flushed last month. But the problem didn't go away. The mechanic said that it might be the steering wheel pump. I was thinking of changing timing belt and water pump. Since steering wheel pump is in that location, I had the mechanic replace it along with timing belt, water pump, pulleys, the v-belts on the pulleys, tensioners, camshaft/crankshaft seals.. . Again, of course he put power steering fluid. But the noise is still there. This is very annoying.

This voice is more audible when I put in gear. When I put in neutral and turn the steering wheel, there is no noise. And the noise is more audible especially after cold start-ups in the morning. After a few minutes it gets better but still when making the turns, after pulling your feet from brake and push accelerator, you hear the noise.

I made some research on the internet. Some say tensioner might be the problem. But it was replaced today. Some say bad wheel bearing might make that noise. But with high speeds there is no noise. Some say bushings, or cv joints or that suspension stuff. But it cannot be I think because, there is no noise in neutral. I believe this is something related to engine revving up.

Oh some guys say this might be related to alternator.

Anyway. Thanks for reading. Any help is appreciated
Best,
Old 06-12-19, 04:38 AM
ilkinandr
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by aydogdu197
Hi all,

I have a 2004 lexus ES330. It makes a whining noise when I push the gas pedal when making turns. It doesn't make it when going with high speeds. Steering wheel liquid was flushed last month. But the problem didn't go away. The mechanic said that it might be the steering wheel pump. I was thinking of changing timing belt and water pump. Since steering wheel pump is in that location, I had the mechanic replace it along with timing belt, water pump, pulleys, the v-belts on the pulleys, tensioners, camshaft/crankshaft seals.. . Again, of course he put power steering fluid. But the noise is still there. This is very annoying.

This voice is more audible when I put in gear. When I put in neutral and turn the steering wheel, there is no noise. And the noise is more audible especially after cold start-ups in the morning. After a few minutes it gets better but still when making the turns, after pulling your feet from brake and push accelerator, you hear the noise.

I made some research on the internet. Some say tensioner might be the problem. But it was replaced today. Some say bad wheel bearing might make that noise. But with high speeds there is no noise. Some say bushings, or cv joints or that suspension stuff. But it cannot be I think because, there is no noise in neutral. I believe this is something related to engine revving up.

Oh some guys say this might be related to alternator.

Anyway. Thanks for reading. Any help is appreciated
Best,
Does it make the noise when you turn the wheel while parked, then put it in Drive, keep foot on brake and try it.? Also, depending on what you changed the fluid too, could be still making the noise. Those things can be picky with what you put in.
Old 06-12-19, 10:04 AM
aydogdu197
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. When I put the gear in Drive and my foot on the brake, turning the steering wheel makes the noise. When put in Park and turn the steering wheel, no noise. I bought lubeguard steering wheel fluid. Last month it was flushed at a mechanic shop. I don't know what brand the mechanic put.
Old 06-12-19, 11:15 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,686 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Use Dexron III compatible fluid for example Vavoline MaxLife is a good choice, not expensive at Walmart. Lubegard PS Fluid is for systems that use "conventional power steering fluid" read the label before using any product.