ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

reflector housing

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-03, 06:46 PM
manlee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reflector housing

Does anyone know if Lexus uses the same reflector housing for their OEM HID's as they do for their halogens? I'm specifically looking in regards to a '98 ES.
Old 07-31-03, 07:36 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 00-01 ES with HID had different headlamp housings than the 97-01 with halogens. The models with OEM HID have distinctly separate reflector bowls for the low and high beams, instead of a reflector that seems to merge together.

I posted some pics a while back, scroll down and check out my pics of the two 00-01 ES's I compare.:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ighlight=xenon
Old 07-31-03, 08:18 PM
manlee
Driver School Candidate

thanks sqaurehat. I think i'll jsut end up sticking to Philips Bluevision or Osram Silverstars.
I'll spend the money putting more gas into my ES instead
Old 08-02-03, 12:45 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by manlee
thanks sqaurehat. I think i'll jsut end up sticking to Philips Bluevision or Osram Silverstars.
I'll spend the money putting more gas into my ES instead

But what fun is that!? IF you've got a few bucks and plan on keeping the car, you might as well go for true HID! Anyone know of any good online junkyards where you can find Lexus parts!? Otherwise we'll all have to put HID's in our Halogen housings!?
Old 08-02-03, 01:29 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by squarehat
The 00-01 ES with HID had different headlamp housings than the 97-01 with halogens. The models with OEM HID have distinctly separate reflector bowls for the low and high beams, instead of a reflector that seems to merge together.

I posted some pics a while back, scroll down and check out my pics of the two 00-01 ES's I compare.:

Do you know if the 00-01 housings will fit in the space of a '97 housing?
Old 08-02-03, 07:42 AM
LexDiamond
Lead Lap

Originally posted by squarehat

How much of a difference do you think the seperate reflectors make? I mean If your using ONLY low beam I dont think it would be much of a difference. I have 2001 ls430 Ballast and bulbs ready to install.

Manlee wants me to get him a kit but he is a lil nervous. I guess I'll have to just install mine!
Old 08-02-03, 10:12 AM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The true HID reflectors will improve the beam pattern (evenness of the light thrown on the road), and cutoff (where the beam pattern cuts of and to the side). With US DOT-spec headlamps, a prescribed amount of updrift is required above the main cutoff to allow for the lighting of reflective roadside signage. When you throw a HID bulb with 3 times the output into a reflector designed for halogen, 3 or more times extra light drifts up, creating a "halo effect" to oncoming drivers. This is especially bad in cars with scatterglass headlamps (think 90-97 LS400), when compared to cars with free-form headlamps with clear lenses (like the 97-present ES) or projectors (92-96 ES). The crazy glare with older scatterglass lamps is one of the reasons the NHTSA is cracking down on vendors of drop in HID kits after 8/15.

To control updrift, notice that on a car with OEM reflector HID--Lexus LS, ES, IS, GS, Acura TL, last gen Maxima), only the top two thirds of the reflector light up (remember, it comes out upside-down, so the bottom of the reflector controls the top of the beam, and vice versa). If you were to drop a HID bulb into a halogen reflector, the whole bowl would light up, throwing too much light upward. I've seen some clever retrofits where part of the HID bulb was masked to produce the perfect 2/3 reflector beam pattern however.

Finally, to answer the question about how the 92-96 ES projectors differ from the ones found on say, an 03 Audi or BMW: Reference the allowed updrift explanation above, and the optics inside are a bit different to work with the fact that HID has a bit different "hotspot" than a halogen filament bulb. Additionally, these projectors have some diffraction grating to break light at the edge of the beam pattern up. This ends up separating out the blue and violet light--creating color flicker. That's why, dead-on, BMW/Audi lamps look white with a hint of yellow, but two lanes over, look royal purple.
Old 08-02-03, 09:30 PM
LexDiamond
Lead Lap

I'm still gonna install my OEM hid's on my 97 es300 I'll just search of 00+ hid lights later
Old 08-02-03, 10:04 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by LexDiamond
I'm still gonna install my OEM hid's on my 97 es300 I'll just search of 00+ hid lights later
LexDiamond,

You're in the exact same boat as me. What's your status on the project? What HID kit did you go with!? Will you post pics when you're done?
Old 08-06-03, 07:59 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Default Re: reflector housing

Does anyone know if Lexus uses the same reflector housing for their OEM HID's as they do for their halogens? I'm specifically looking in regards to a '98 ES.
Are you still thinking about upgrading?
Old 08-06-03, 12:37 PM
manlee
Driver School Candidate

yeah, i will still try to do it.
checking some options here to see if i can find some HID reflector housings.
Old 08-06-03, 10:36 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

yeah, i will still try to do it.
checking some options here to see if i can find some HID reflector housings.

If you wouldn't mind, please keep me posted. I've been looking for them too, it sounds like the only immediate solution is buy them from lexus, but that's HUGE cash!
Old 08-07-03, 08:46 PM
LexDiamond
Lead Lap

After all the discussion I am gonna go with Koba H.I.D bulbs they give off such a beautiful blueish/purple for my fogs I decided to get matching headlight bulbs, hey $10 shipped for XENON color why not.

I don't wanna mess with install the Hid's after hearing all these issues
Old 08-09-03, 09:57 PM
manlee
Driver School Candidate

hey LexDiamond,

Can you post pic's of your KOBA lights when you get them?
Old 08-10-03, 11:35 AM
LexDiamond
Lead Lap

Talking

Will do

Quick Reply: reflector housing