ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Whats your favorite or most ridiculous mod done to your ES? I have a lightbar on mine

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-18, 02:55 PM
TheLexo93
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats your favorite or most ridiculous mod done to your ES? I have a lightbar on mine

I'm curious to see some of your mods on your lexus'. My most ridiculous mod is my giant 42" Lightbar mounted to the front of my Lex. I made it easily removable so it's not on all the time, but i put it on when i go run the hills right by my house and it's dark as hell up there. It gives me about an extra 80+ yards of visibility.

I have it wired to a rocker switch+highbeam switch, so you have to have the rocker switch active AND use the highbeam switch for the lightbar to turn on, so when im running in the hills all i have to do is let go of the highbeam switch to turn it off and not blind everyone and without taking my hands off the wheel.

I also make my own decals btw. The lightbar is as low profile as i can go without touching the bumper cover

Lightbar plus Halo projector headlights (I still need to get bumper painted, install sidemarker signals, and route exhaust to bumper)

Let me know what you think. Is it crappy or awesome or stupid?
Old 10-25-18, 07:44 PM
daredeil95
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Where did ya get the headlights from? Mine are turning yellow after every couple months and that's when I use the headlight restorer. No mods for me except blacking out the car and still in progress, still got to do emblems, door handles and grill.
Old 10-25-18, 08:10 PM
TheLexo93
10th Gear

I just replaced them a few days ago, i got them from ebay for $230, but they're called CCFL Halo projectors for 05-06 es330s and i converted them to L.E.D. H7 Low beams and L.E.D. H1 High beams so no more heat from H.I.D.s and Halogens to cause the yellowing, you should see the ones i took off, they were completely yellow.

Im very confident that its the heat from the halogens and HIDs causing the yellowing
Old 10-25-18, 08:52 PM
ilkinandr
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by TheLexo93
I just replaced them a few days ago, i got them from ebay for $230, but they're called CCFL Halo projectors for 05-06 es330s and i converted them to L.E.D. H7 Low beams and L.E.D. H1 High beams so no more heat from H.I.D.s and Halogens to cause the yellowing, you should see the ones i took off, they were completely yellow.

Im very confident that its the heat from the halogens and HIDs causing the yellowing
Yellowing is caused by sun and Uv rays. Put a protective film on them.
Old 10-26-18, 07:03 AM
daredeil95
Driver

I'll check those out; thanks.
Old 10-26-18, 08:37 AM
crwys
Lead Lap

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I use the 3m headlight restoration kit with synthetic wax for the protective film. Haven't seen yellowing in years and I have a quad low beam projector hid set up with still 35 watt bulbs.
Old 10-26-18, 11:27 AM
TheLexo93
10th Gear

Originally Posted by crwys
I use the 3m headlight restoration kit with synthetic wax for the protective film. Haven't seen yellowing in years and I have a quad low beam projector hid set up with still 35 watt bulbs.
Im gonna have to look into that one! Im gonna try everything i can to not have my new lights yellow.
Old 10-26-18, 08:21 PM
daredeil95
Driver

These are the headlights I want, black to go with the rest of my car but, pricey. They should work with my car and then I'll use the clear film protector. I'm not crazy about the halo's but, that's all there is unles I buy another pair and disassmble and paint everything black idk.

https://www.headlightsdepot.com/lexu...SABEgIMBfD_BwE
Old 10-26-18, 10:13 PM
TheLexo93
10th Gear

Those would be sick! Nice thing is, that if you don't like the halos, you can just snip the wire to their ballast or even wire them separately to your fog light switch if you don't always want them on, or maybe even wire them in with your signals.
Old 10-27-18, 06:46 PM
crwys
Lead Lap

Im gonna have to look into that one! Im gonna try everything i can to not have my new lights yellow.
It is very affordable and I have used it on multiple cars, have been satisfied every time. 1 pack is enough for 2 headlights. (1 car) You may be able to squeeze 4 headlights out of it but it's only about $10
https://www.amazon.com/3M-39008-Headlight-Restoration-System/dp/B001AIZ5HY/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1540691061&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=3m+headlight+restoration+kit&dpPl=1&dpID=51sFOMZCpbL&ref=plSrch

and synthetic wax. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000PGEMQM?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title
Old 10-28-18, 11:27 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Glad to see I am not the only one:

The following users liked this post:
TheLexo93 (10-31-18)
Old 10-28-18, 05:55 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

lol you guys are crazy. I can understand the need for a light bar in the hills of California. I'm sure the roads can be very dangerous with minimal lighting. What sort of modifications did you make to the car besides what's visible in the pictures?
Old 10-28-18, 07:12 PM
crwys
Lead Lap

I actually use to have a light bar but never liked the look of it on my car. Plus they are illegal in most or all states unless covered and can only be used off road. So I took it off, ended up doing a retrofit with morimoto d2s 4.0 and the rx350 projectors for a quad low beam, quad high beam set up. The switch for the high beams is wired to the fog light switch now. But I'm pretty satisfied with the results and dont really need a light bar anymore anyways.

I have tons of other mods, pretty ridiculous to be honest because I spent a little over 4k on modifications over the years. The retrofit alone was 1,060 dollars for the projectors, shrouds, bulbs, ballasts, wiring.
Maybe I'll make a thread on it in a couple days.

Last edited by crwys; 10-28-18 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-31-18, 12:09 PM
TheLexo93
10th Gear

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Glad to see I am not the only one:
Finally! someone else with a lightbar! Love it
Old 10-31-18, 12:23 PM
TheLexo93
10th Gear

Originally Posted by MrBooby
lol you guys are crazy. I can understand the need for a light bar in the hills of California. I'm sure the roads can be very dangerous with minimal lighting. What sort of modifications did you make to the car besides what's visible in the pictures?

As you can see, i added 4 10" inch electric fans and also I have D2 Racing Coilovers Replaced the OEM hood insulation with my own aluminized insulation.
I also had to install another fuse block due to all the extra crap i added along with a relay block just beneath it

Painted A/C control bezel and this radio dash bezel millenium silver (to match the exterior) with a TRD badge to cover the oem clock hole.

carbon fiber dipped the gauge cluster wood piece and painted the rest glossy black

Carbon fiber dipped this part of the dash as well and painted all the vents gloss black for contrast

here is my exhaust i made, no muffler or resonators. Straight pipe for 3 feet then turns down

I insulated all of the doors and removed unnecessary oem insulation and garbage and sprayed it with that rough insulation stuff

This is what goes on that door and ultra dampens all noises and cuts down on road noise and eliminates all hollow sounds from the speakers, this is a very very thick rubber pad looking thing

i also made my own extra engine damper to help keep the engine still while running the hills in a lower gear, this shock bolts to a bracket i made for the transmission.

Quick Reply: Whats your favorite or most ridiculous mod done to your ES? I have a lightbar on mine