ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2004 Lexus ES330 HID Headlight Ugrade?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-18, 01:29 PM
terror83
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ilkinandr
You can put in LEDs, like i did.

Did you put LED's in the headlights or fog lights?

My headlight lenses are OEM and OEM HID and not hazed up at all (car was low mileage and always garaged), but I'm wondering if there's a slightly better/brighter than OEM bulb to run? Currently it has the 35w Philips 85126 +
Old 01-14-19, 08:52 AM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Hey guys, I’m about to order some stuff for my car and want to make sure I’m good to go. My 06 es330 came with regular halogen headlights. I plan to upgrade to HID by getting these things

- OEM ‘06 projector headlight housings
- 4300k d2s Philips HID bulbs
- Denso d2s ballast

Am I missing anything? Clips or anything like that? I’m going to get the bulbs and ballast from xenondepot so it’ll be 100% legit.
Old 01-14-19, 09:15 AM
crwys
Lead Lap

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I reccomend checking out theretrofitsource. You can buy very well made after market projectors there or even the OE Rx350 projector if you want to pay the extra money for it. The rx350 projector is considered one of the best projectors on the market due it it's crazy width of light output.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/d2...bHPKJK9eKBdu9g

this is supposedly the best hid bulb currently on the market. Slightly better than Phillips.
Old 01-14-19, 09:24 AM
funcrusher
Racer

Isn’t the projector part of the headlight housings? So if I get the OEM es330 housings, the projectors are already in there?

I remember reading about those rx ones but can you just put swap out the projectors or how does it work?

I think I’ll go with Philips bulbs and see how I like them. A review for those Osrom’s said they’re not a cool white which is what I love. That stock luxury car look.
Old 01-14-19, 10:12 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,709 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Originally Posted by funcrusher
Isn’t the projector part of the headlight housings?
Yes, although technically I think the projectors was an option but every ES330 had them? I could be wrong but either way the so called upgraded ones have a projector for the low beams. On bulb colour for a long time I assumed that 4300K is better for visibility versus say 6000K but I did some reading and in reality the more blue spectrum is better at night due to how the human eye works (look up scotopic vision). There are exceptions though for heavy rain and snow as well as fog a 3000K light is much better.
Old 01-14-19, 11:10 AM
crwys
Lead Lap

Isn’t the projector part of the headlight housings? So if I get the OEM es330 housings, the projectors are already in there?

I remember reading about those rx ones but can you just put swap out the projectors or how does it work?

I think I’ll go with Philips bulbs and see how I like them. A review for those Osrom’s said they’re not a cool white which is what I love. That stock luxury car look.
sorry I misread your post before this one. I assumed you were doing a retro fit but you plan on buying the whole assembly? If you have never done a retrofit before it can be pretty hard and it's a lot of work depending on the projector you buy. Im not sure if the rx350s are easy swap in or not you will have to research.
yes they are not cool white but remember anything above 4300k and you are losing light output. So you just have decide if you want to want your car to look more cool or if you want better light output.
Old 01-14-19, 11:20 AM
funcrusher
Racer

Yeah I’m getting the actual OEM HID headlight housings. Not doing a retrofit. I’m still going to look into the Rx projectors though

I’ve used Philips 4300k bulbs before and I really like them. Going to completely change the look of my car
Old 01-14-19, 12:35 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Anyone have tips for putting the projectors in if the car came with halogens? Is it pretty much plug and play?
Old 01-14-19, 01:36 PM
crwys
Lead Lap

Anyone have tips for putting the projectors in if the car came with halogens? Is it pretty much plug and play?
Since it came with halogens I'm assuming no projectors in the housing? You would have to do some cutting most likely on your headlight housing to make the projector fit. The amount of cutting you'll have to do will vary depending on the projectors you buy. I used a die grindr when I did my retro fit. I have a 99 and I can tell you that the amount of cutting I had to do for a morimoto d2s 4.0 was a lot less compared to an rx350. (I bought both and managed to squeeze both projectors into the headlight housing.)
Wiring can be plug in play depending on your what bulbs you buy / current headlight connections but they sell converters online so you can do h3 > d2s or whatever.
Old 01-15-19, 05:59 AM
funcrusher
Racer

Lol dude for like the 3rd time, I’m getting the complete, Lexus OEM projector headlight housings. Yes the expensive *** ones. I’m NOT getting separate, stand alone projectors and putting them in my current housings.

I’m getting the housings plus Philips HID bulbs and OEM Denso ballasts. Do I need anything else or are there any tips to hook everything up?

Last edited by funcrusher; 01-15-19 at 06:04 AM.
Old 01-15-19, 08:29 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

I’m getting the housings plus Philips HID bulbs and OEM Denso ballasts. Do I need anything else or are there any tips to hook everything up?
You will at minimum need an adapter harness. What ballasts exactly are you buying?
Old 01-15-19, 08:41 AM
funcrusher
Racer

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
You will at minimum need an adapter harness. What ballasts exactly are you buying?
https://www.xenondepot.com/d2s-denso.../ds-d2s-rb.htm
Old 01-15-19, 09:15 AM
crwys
Lead Lap

Lol dude for like the 3rd time, I’m getting the complete, Lexus OEM projector headlight housings. Yes the expensive *** ones. I’m NOT getting separate, stand alone projectors and putting them in my current housings.

Sorry but this time you weren't clear enough. You said you were asking for tips on putting projectors into the a car that came with halogens.
Not that you're putting a hid projector headlight assembly into a car that has wiring for halogens.
You also mentioned that you were still going to look into the rx350 projectors.
A simple google search can easily get your answers regarding the wiring questions you have. And asking on a retrofit / hid conversion forum will likely get you more, faster answers. Such as xenon depot or hidplanet

Old 01-15-19, 09:31 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

You will need the ballast connector that mates to your (H7?) factory connector I would think xenondepot sells such a thing. Good choice on the ballasts although I'd be temped to buy used.
Old 01-15-19, 09:46 AM
funcrusher
Racer

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
You will need the ballast connector that mates to your (H7?) factory connector I would think xenondepot sells such a thing. Good choice on the ballasts although I'd be temped to buy used.
Thanks. So I need ballast connector(s) and adapter harnesses plus everything else.

Quick Reply: 2004 Lexus ES330 HID Headlight Ugrade?