ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Rear clunking/thumping over bumpy road 2005 Lexus ES330

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-18, 06:01 PM
ilkinandr
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Question Rear clunking/thumping over bumpy road 2005 Lexus ES330

Hey guys,
So i am having a strange issue, when i drive over one bump the car is fine but if i start hitting a series of bumps that makes my rear go up and down quite a bit it makes clunking/thumping noise. Rear struts and mounts have been replaced with aftermarket and as precaution someone posted on Toyota forum to put felt on mounts to stop the noise some aftermarket mount produce. Both rear knuckles replaced with OEM Toyota, Links and sway bar bushing replaced and bushing replaced again when installed TRD sway bar. Also replaced all control arms in the rear. The only thing that's left is the sub-frame bushings. If that does not fix the issue i might just buy OEM strut mounts and try again. The car has 183k miles and i cant figure out that issue. Anyone know if subframe will cause that noise and experienced anything like this?
Old 10-09-18, 09:49 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

The general cause for this is the upper strut mount. It is a bearing set mounted horizontally in the top of the strut. Aftermarket strut kits are notorious for being of poor quality and failing. This would be suspect #1.

You can try seeing if they were simply not installed properly by checking the torque on the strut nuts and the center cartridge nut. This is accessed by taking out the rear seats and then the rear package tray. If that fails, you can try replacing with OE mounts. If that doesn't work out, KYB struts are the go-to for this (they are the OEM).

Last edited by Oro; 10-09-18 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-10-18, 03:30 PM
ilkinandr
Intermediate

Never knew rear struts have bearings in them.

Originally Posted by Oro
The general cause for this is the upper strut mount. It is a bearing set mounted horizontally in the top of the strut. Aftermarket strut kits are notorious for being of poor quality and failing. This would be suspect #1.

You can try seeing if they were simply not installed properly by checking the torque on the strut nuts and the center cartridge nut. This is accessed by taking out the rear seats and then the rear package tray. If that fails, you can try replacing with OE mounts. If that doesn't work out, KYB struts are the go-to for this (they are the OEM).
Old 10-10-18, 04:49 PM
koreywill
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Just for grins, check that your spare tire is held down tight. Also check that your jack is tight in its mount.
Old 10-10-18, 11:25 PM
ilkinandr
Intermediate

Well i decided to go for a ride in a trunk lol. My buddy drove the car and i tried to listen from where the noise is coming from. When i put my ear to the bottom of the trunk i could hear it on bumps but when i put my ear to where wheel well was, i could hear it more. It was also more noticible in the back of there car where strut towers are. So i guess the mounts went back again. So, my question now is, should i buy OEM , KYB (seem to supply OEM), or Sachs. Also should i replace the shocks again too?

Originally Posted by Oro

Originally Posted by koreywill
Just for grins, check that your spare tire is held down tight. Also check that your jack is tight in its mount.
Old 10-11-18, 06:19 AM
acarapella
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

JUST FOR KICKS, disconnect the rear sway bar links and fix them to something that doesn't move with shop wire (they'll still be connected at the bar, just not at the strut). I know you said you did the bushings but the clunking in the rear of these cars is almost always the bushings. Mind didn't have play that was easily detectable by hand... only that they could slide in and out of the bushing.
Old 10-11-18, 02:10 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

Before buying new bushings, check the torque on the upper nut(s). It can be tricky to get right.

if that doesn’t fix it, then OE or KYB would be the only ones I would mess with. They are going to be repackaged bearings from a different maker, but at least guaranted to be a quality supplier.
Old 10-15-18, 11:04 AM
acarapella
Advanced

Oro and all else,

are we sure the rear has a bearing? haven't done one in AGES, but I did have a 2014 Avalon apart recently and I swear the rear was just a bumper, no bearing like in the front... after all, it doesn't turn.

Anyway, I would TOTALLY do what I said and do a test run with the rear links detached from the sway bar and safely secured... almost every time there are clunks in these, its that or the control arm bushes.

I DID get awful noise in the fornt of our old odyssey after Monroe struts, stock mounts/bearings. Monroe insisted it was the mount/bearing even though there wasnt a noise before they were married to the Monroe struts. I spent 2 dats and more money than I care to say chasing that noise, to find out it was their strut and a known issue at their facility. THey said "sorry, we'll send you more struts." I said NOPE and the vehicle was savagely totaled a few months later. When I go to do our replacement odyssey, bet you tush I am going to use KYB or OEM
Old 10-15-18, 12:21 PM
ilkinandr
Intermediate

It's most likely the strut mounts and struts. My friend works at autoshop and used their local parts dealer. With my experience with them, they suck. I had to replace their links under warranty twice and just ended up getting proforged links. And I know how stabilizer bar bushings sound as I replaced them noise stopped. I honestly didn't pay too much attention until after I for struts replaced so though bushing might have gone bad again. Then not to long ago I got TRD sway bar. It's OEM from Toyota racing development. It comes with polyurethane bushing. Even after I replaced that it did not help. I also noticed that clunking goes away the hotter it is. When it's very cold out it's worse. From my experience it's rubber hardening. But I'll try disconnecting links this weekend. My other thought is subframe bushings but I looked online and no one has a vid on noise they make.

Originally Posted by acarapella
Oro and all else,

are we sure the rear has a bearing? haven't done one in AGES, but I did have a 2014 Avalon apart recently and I swear the rear was just a bumper, no bearing like in the front... after all, it doesn't turn.

Anyway, I would TOTALLY do what I said and do a test run with the rear links detached from the sway bar and safely secured... almost every time there are clunks in these, its that or the control arm bushes.

I DID get awful noise in the fornt of our old odyssey after Monroe struts, stock mounts/bearings. Monroe insisted it was the mount/bearing even though there wasnt a noise before they were married to the Monroe struts. I spent 2 dats and more money than I care to say chasing that noise, to find out it was their strut and a known issue at their facility. THey said "sorry, we'll send you more struts." I said NOPE and the vehicle was savagely totaled a few months later. When I go to do our replacement odyssey, bet you tush I am going to use KYB or OEM
Old 10-19-18, 06:48 PM
Richardsr
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

Oro and all else,

I went to this site and it shows no bearing on the REAR strut/shock assembly. http://www.japan-parts.eu/lexus/us/2...shock-absorber

If you go to the same site and look up the FRONT strut/shock assembly, it shows a bearing. http://www.japan-parts.eu/lexus/us/2...shock-absorber
Old 10-20-18, 03:05 PM
ilkinandr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Richardsr

I went to this site and it shows no bearing on the REAR strut/shock assembly. http://www.japan-parts.eu/lexus/us/2003/es300-330/mcv31l-beagka/3_282470_002_/powertrain-chassis/4804_rear-spring-shock-absorber

If you go to the same site and look up the FRONT strut/shock assembly, it shows a bearing. http://www.japan-parts.eu/lexus/us/2...shock-absorber
Haha sorry, I was sarcastic. I'm aware that rears do not have bearings in them.
Old 10-22-18, 05:10 AM
acarapella
Advanced

Perhaps I misread above, wasn’t there talk about this being the rear strut mount bearing? That’s why I pointed out that thats impossible. Like muffler bearings

did you try disconnecting the swaybar links yet?
Old 10-22-18, 08:28 AM
ilkinandr
Intermediate

Perhaps I misread above, wasn’t there talk about this being the rear strut mount bearing? That’s why I pointed out that thats impossible. Like muffler bearings

did you try disconnecting the swaybar links yet?
Well someone did say it, but there are no bearings as they dont turn.
I haven't tried disconnecting them yet, I'm actually just replacing the suspension again this coming Sunday. I don't like how these struts behave anyways. Putting OEM Mounts (Front Bearings), Front OEM Top boot, OEM Bumber stoppers, OEM springs, KYB Strut, KYB lower insulators, etc. $300 replacement.
Old 10-29-18, 05:04 AM
acarapella
Advanced

Good luck. That seems to be the best approach anyway, I mentioned my fiasco with Monroe in the Odyssey
Old 10-29-18, 06:16 AM
ilkinandr
Intermediate

Hey guys, just wanted to provide an update. Changed the rear struts this weekend and won't believe the difference it made. The car feels so much better, smoother ride, no more bouncy, no clunks. Feels like I just bought it. I've learned my lesson, dont go to local machenics who use their own parts shop, those parts suck. Provide them your own quality parts or you'll have to pay twice, like I did after 2 years.

Quick Reply: Rear clunking/thumping over bumpy road 2005 Lexus ES330