ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Timing belt noise again – Dayco/oven cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-18, 05:05 AM
acarapella
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Timing belt noise again – Dayco/oven cleaner?

There are a few things about this car that are driving me completely insane. Back in May, or roughly 8000 miles ago, I replaced the timing belt, idler pulley and the tensioner puller with a gates belt kit that came with factory koyo bearings. I put in a new aftermarket belt tensioner. All of this was done because of that horrible Timing belt sound that sounds metallic but is actually a harmonic response between the metal cogs and the belt.

sound is back substantially worse than before. I remember reading somewhere since then that cleaning the cogs with oven cleaner, and using a Dayco belt should resolve the issue. I have ordered the belt, $17. I also dug up the receipt for the tensioner and I’m going to have that warranteed out. Can’t imagine the Koyo bearings aren’t good after 8,000 miles so those stay

A long time mechanic better than I told me that basically, Sound comes from varnish on the Cardin sound comes from varnish on the cogs... that basically, that area of the engine is really hot, and every time you turn it off, the belt essentially “sticks“ to the cogs then breaks free when the engine is started again… This causes a varnish build up that creates the unique harmonic disturbance that just so happens to sound like a combination of metal on metal grinding and nails on a chalkboard. My fear and question revolves around why this seem to have re-surfaced so abruptly Resurfaced so abruptly.

Perhaps it’s magnified by another issue I am having… Perhaps you all remember my “ticking/creeking roof“ issue.... starting to suspect that the adhesive to put in the windshield has become brittle and cracked, and that’s what I’m hearing tick while the body flexes over bumps. I am also beginning to believe that because this has happened, I am hearing more sounds from outside car, especially from under the hood. My engine is no louder (other than the timing belt) then it ever has been before, or than it was when brand new, yet I hear it more, especially when it’s cold in the morning… It literally sounds like there is a hole in the firewall behind the dashboard

That second issue aside, I’d like to hear what you guys have to say about cleaning the cogs and anything related to this timing belt noise. I know Oro and Lexus2000 have contributed quite valuable information to this topic before, I just can’t seem to find

Thanks

Drew

Old 09-13-18, 07:47 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

You should only ever use Toyota, or Mitsuboshi (A toyota OE Supplier)-not mitsubishi for belts. These cars hate gates, goodyear, and dayco belts. I never cleaned the cam gears, and I replaced the water pump, tensioner and idler (smooth pulleys).

AC/Alternator and Power Steering belts, continental or toyota are best.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 09-13-18 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-13-18, 08:10 AM
acarapella
Advanced

Guilty as charged… Normally I’m pretty **** about using factory parts under the hood, or that is, tracking down the original equipment manufacturer in buying it from them rather than in the Red box. Just impulse bought a Mitsuboshi belt. On a funny sidenote, they must realize how dangerously close thier name is to another company… Their logo is thier name in plain text with emphasis on the “o”

i’m just going to return the Dayco one I bought. I am also going to warrantee out the tensioner just to be safe. Chances are, though, the last 30,000 miles of using an aftermarket belt has caused varnish on the cogs… Someone please advise how to clean them.

That aside, as for my second rant… Could I be correct that the Black cement used to hold in my windshield has somehow deteriorated it is letting me hear wind and engine noises louder than before? Wind at speed and engine at idle, worse when cold

Old 09-13-18, 08:30 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by acarapella
Guilty as charged… Normally I’m pretty **** about using factory parts under the hood, or that is, tracking down the original equipment manufacturer in buying it from them rather than in the Red box. Just impulse bought a Mitsuboshi belt. On a funny sidenote, they must realize how dangerously close thier name is to another company… Their logo is thier name in plain text with emphasis on the “o”

i’m just going to return the Dayco one I bought. I am also going to warrantee out the tensioner just to be safe. Chances are, though, the last 30,000 miles of using an aftermarket belt has caused varnish on the cogs… Someone please advise how to clean them.

That aside, as for my second rant… Could I be correct that the Black cement used to hold in my windshield has somehow deteriorated it is letting me hear wind and engine noises louder than before? Wind at speed and engine at idle, worse when cold

The black RTV used to seal the window does deteriorate over many years, but its more likely on a car of your age that the windshield was replaced by Safelite or something in the past, and not sealed correctly. Not all sealants are created equal. Toyota's sealant is best for this application.

As far as your cam sprockets, just clean them with brake parts cleaner and a copper wire brush. Copper is softer than the steel the pulley is made out of so the brush won't scratch it.
Old 09-13-18, 09:24 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,714 Likes on 2,299 Posts

I put a genuine Toyota and Mitsuboshi belt in my ES neither cured the flutter noise I did clean the pulleys meticulously. Dayco belt cured the problem no more embarrassing noise. On cleaning the pulleys it is easy to remove the protective coating in fact it's probably impossible to remove all the old belt material and still maintain all the brass coating. The result is they may form a rust coating on the non contact surfaces I don't know if this could be an issue long term. I tried several different types of brushes none worked on their own I used a brass brush in combination with oven cleaner. Nothing else would touch the crud built up in the very corners of the cogs.

Bottom line for me is I am very happy with the performance of the Dayco, the only thing I did not try was replacing the pulleys outright. BTW I have a Dayco belt in one of my other cars (I bought it that way) it is quieter than another car I have with the same engine it has a Mitsuboshi. I am curious what the results of an OE belt and new pulleys would be.
Old 09-13-18, 11:50 AM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

If I google "timing belt noise es300 es330" and look at the Youtube videos that come up, that metallic noise in the two I played was NOT coming from the cam gears and belt. It's from the tensioner. It's "belt related," but it's not the belt. But the only way to systematically go about diagnosing this is with the car running and a clinical or mechanic's stethoscope, or very big screwdriver, and spending some time finding the source.

If that is indeed the noise you have, you need to attend to it pronto. Personally, I wouldn't drive the vehicle as it can fail and strand you. It will then need to be towed to somewhere the timing belt job can be re-done. The Aisin tensioner that comes on these cars is widely used on many cars and different makes (I have an Acura with the exact same tensioner - Isuzu 6VE1 engine). They are not overly robust, and they fail. And that is what they sound like right before they fail. I am guessing this is your problem since you used the words "horrible" and "metallic." You can read this tech bulletin to see what the device is in more detail, and why mishandling it before installation (or during storage even) can lead to failure:

https://ww2.gates.com/europe/file_di...nsioners%2Epdf

I can barely trust the Aisin OE unit (and Aisin is probably the most respected auto parts manufacturer in the world). I would shudder to think about putting a knock-off one in a vehicle in case that is what came in the timing kit.

As to belt brand, there's no reason not to use Gates. They are pretty much the world leader on power transmission belts and hoses and go in almost EVERY brand of car as original equipment (they say 34 different brands - hard to imagine Toyota isn't putting them in some Toyota assembled somewhere in the world). As long as you use a reputable brand belt, you are fine. There are a lot more variables in the timing belt job that will cause noise than the brand of belt. Old belt residue, tensioner, pulleys, and all the bearings in other engine components that get removed/refit and re-tensioned and thus leave room for error in re-assembly. Don't blame the new belt offhand. They only belt brand I can find to keep my PS pump quiet at this point is the Goodyear Gatorback, so honestly Bando, Mitsuboshi, Gates, Continental - these are all pretty fungible top-shelf products and are reliable. I think Continental bought Goodyear's belt business, so GY branded belts are on the way out.

Last edited by Oro; 09-13-18 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-17-18, 05:13 AM
acarapella
Advanced

This is what it sounded like last time It did this - 4-5 months ago, about 8,000 miles. I did replace the koyo idler and tensioner pulleys and the tensioner it self, with a new Gates belt. I was convinced it was a metal on metal sound - can bearing or idler bearing, but I have since been told that the harmonic phenomenon of timing belt shmutz and the cogs makes a sound that sounds metallic but isn’t. And it does seem to come right from the cogs

I really hope that this is “just a sound” like I’ve hear said. I did a couple thousand miles this was last time (not proud) and it not on my immediate to do list (even less proud)
Old 09-29-19, 09:21 AM
fortitude
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
I put a genuine Toyota and Mitsuboshi belt in my ES neither cured the flutter noise I did clean the pulleys meticulously. Dayco belt cured the problem no more embarrassing noise. On cleaning the pulleys it is easy to remove the protective coating in fact it's probably impossible to remove all the old belt material and still maintain all the brass coating. The result is they may form a rust coating on the non contact surfaces I don't know if this could be an issue long term. I tried several different types of brushes none worked on their own I used a brass brush in combination with oven cleaner. Nothing else would touch the crud built up in the very corners of the cogs.

Bottom line for me is I am very happy with the performance of the Dayco, the only thing I did not try was replacing the pulleys outright. BTW I have a Dayco belt in one of my other cars (I bought it that way) it is quieter than another car I have with the same engine it has a Mitsuboshi. I am curious what the results of an OE belt and new pulleys would be.
Lexus2000, I am about to service my timing belt system, and would like to know if you have any updates on this post?
Is the Dayco belt still performing well?
Thank you
Old 09-29-19, 09:37 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by fortitude
Lexus2000, I am about to service my timing belt system, and would like to know if you have any updates on this post?
Is the Dayco belt still performing well?
Thank you
The Dayco is still working fine, as quiet as when I put it on. Remember don't use other Dayco components like water pump or idler/tensioner.

BTW new cam gears are not all that expensive next time I do a timing belt job I'm going to replace both of them and use the Mitsuboshi belt see what happens.
https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/...523-20020.html
(same pulley both sides)
Old 09-29-19, 10:49 AM
fortitude
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
The Dayco is still working fine, as quiet as when I put it on. Remember don't use other Dayco components like water pump or idler/tensioner.

BTW new cam gears are not all that expensive next time I do a timing belt job I'm going to replace both of them and use the Mitsuboshi belt see what happens.
https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/...523-20020.html
(same pulley both sides)
Thank you for the information

Also, what were the condition of your timing cover gaskets? Mine are shot. I found this kit ASIN SKT004 that has them plus the cam&crank seals included. Rockauto for $27+ shipping
Old 09-29-19, 11:37 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by fortitude
Also, what were the condition of your timing cover gaskets? Mine are shot. I found this kit ASIN SKT004 that has them plus the cam&crank seals included. Rockauto for $27+ shipping
Mine were good because no oil leaks. That Aisin kit looks like a good solution but it doesn't say who makes the cam seals.
Old 09-29-19, 04:26 PM
zeez88
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can feel your frustration, as i went through the same thing a few months back. Diagnosing noises that come from the engine bay can be very frustrating!

I heard some grinding metallic sound coming from my engine bay. Mechanic told me it was a bearing in the timing belt area. I changed that and the noise was still there. He then said he suspects my water pump is going bad. Guess what? I changed my water pump and the noise was still there. Before hearing more of his suspicions, i decided to give him a break go back home! I did a little research on YouTube and i found out that the suspect was the timing belt itself!!

It really looks like these engines are very selective when it comes to timing belts. I was using a continental timing belt, which i then changed to an OEM Toyota timing belt and the noise was gone instantly!!!