ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Slow in 1st gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-18, 01:33 PM
Mattstermh
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Slow in 1st gear

I just picked up a 01 in immaculate condition, coming from an 02. I feel like in first gear this car really doesn't pick up, but once you get the car going into 2nd and 3rd it drives great. I mean it is really dull in 1st gear.

Is this normal for this model? Or does this indicate a transmission issue?
Old 07-15-18, 11:20 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

Despite the same engine and some interior switches, they are not the same car. This should not be a surprise!

The cars have, pretty much but with some very notable differences, the same engines. The 1st gear ratios in the two are actually the same despite different trannys. After that, it's pretty much all different.

They have radically different final drive ratios, and that is likely what you are reacting to.

They have wholly different transmissions, throttle control technology (cabled vs. wired/electric), and engine control units/logic. You can't compare the two apples to apples, there were enough changes to really make them feel different in response.

The 01 U140e transmission also has a well-known manufacturing defects and they are prone to unexpected sudden failure because of thrust bearing failure behind the planetary gears. It would be wise to have a rebuild/replacement plan in place. This is why I don't have an '00 or '01 despite the really nice styling and otherwise absolutely remarkable quality and design.

Don't sell your less attractive '02.
Old 07-16-18, 05:36 AM
Mattstermh
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Oro
Despite the same engine and some interior switches, they are not the same car. This should not be a surprise!

The cars have, pretty much but with some very notable differences, the same engines. The 1st gear ratios in the two are actually the same despite different trannys. After that, it's pretty much all different.

They have radically different final drive ratios, and that is likely what you are reacting to.

They have wholly different transmissions, throttle control technology (cabled vs. wired/electric), and engine control units/logic. You can't compare the two apples to apples, there were enough changes to really make them feel different in response.

The 01 U140e transmission also has a well-known manufacturing defects and they are prone to unexpected sudden failure because of thrust bearing failure behind the planetary gears. It would be wise to have a rebuild/replacement plan in place. This is why I don't have an '00 or '01 despite the really nice styling and otherwise absolutely remarkable quality and design.

Don't sell your less attractive '02.
Am I correct that they should have the same amount of power in 1st gear, despite the final differences?