ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-1st-to-4th-gen-1990-2006-179/)
-   -   VCS, engine and Trac Ctrl lights (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-1st-to-4th-gen-1990-2006/888932-vcs-engine-and-trac-ctrl-lights.html)

Richardsr 05-15-18 09:28 AM

VCS, engine and Trac Ctrl lights

2005 ES330 - Have replaced Mass Air Detector, cleaned Throttle Body and replaced gas cap in last two weeks. Everything was great with no lights. Filled up with gas yesterday (topped it off for trip) and VCS, Trac Ctrl and Engine icon lights came on after starting up. Tightened gas cap and went to Autozone today. Their code readout was P0174, P0102 and P0113. This is riculous. What is going on?

Thanx in advance

Oro 05-15-18 10:49 AM

Spring time with changing temps, coupled with any engine work always generates codes for me. I cleaned the throttle body a little while ago and my idle improved. But five days later an evap code was thrown (as well as pending misfire codes on most all cylinders from the SeaFoam treatment). I cleared them and they never came back.

Topping off gas can also cause codes if done aggressively, though not the ones you are reporting.

If I were you, I would clear them and see if they re-appear. It might be because of the new MAF sensor if it is not a factory OEM unit; I‘ve heard a number of people report they have codes with non-OEM MAF sensors. If you kept the OE one, try cleaning it and re-installing and see what happens.

Richardsr 05-15-18 07:06 PM

Thanks. I kept the original gas cap and cleaned it up with silicon spray. The rubber washer loved it. So, today after fuming over lights I put the original one back on and behold, the CVS, Trac Ctrl and engine icon went away.

This is all started when my car started jerking going through gears and had poor throttle response. Maint. Light is on with no other lights. Then one day these three lights came up and a YouTube video talked me through how cleaning the gas cap can help sometimes. So, I did and it worked. I went to Autozone and bought a Duralast 6838 from them and installed it. The lights stayed out, so I kept the old one, just in case. Also had Autozone check the Needs Maint. Light and replacing the Air Sensor was recommended. Bought an Air Sensor online and that definitely helped, but... So my Son who is a genius with cars took the throttle body off and cleaned it. Voila! Maint. Light still on but can’t reset it, but it’s running great now.

Thanks for your response.

Richardsr 05-15-18 07:26 PM

Also, what reasonably priced OBD2 Code Reader that will read and reset codes would you or anyone recommend?

Oro 05-15-18 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Richardsr (Post 10200102)
Also, what reasonably priced OBD2 Code Reader that will read and reset codes would you or anyone recommend?

Yes, definitely try patience, cleaning, etc. before throwing parts at the problem. You are on the right track at least for now.

You can get an “ELM327” reader off of ebay or amazon for cheap (under $10). Keep in mind, if you have an apple phone, it will only work w/wifi units and not bluetooth (restricted protocols apple will allow). If you have an android phone, you can get a bluetooth or wifi one, it does not matter. There is really no advantage to one or the other communication protocal, only that you need a wifi w/apple phones. Then you can get free apps to read and reset codes - iobd2 from the apple store or torque lite from android are both good and popular on each platform.

Richardsr 05-23-18 04:44 PM

OK, to eventually fix the problem... Removed throttle body and cleaned it, cleaned original Mass Air Sensor (have a new spare now), ordered Lexus OEM Gas Tank Cap and threw away the Autozone junk relacement they sold me and put in a bottle of Chevron Techron. Drove 200 miles and got 28.1 mpg w/o air conditioning on. Drove back with air conditioning on and got 27.4 mpg. Not too shabby for a 2005 Lexus ES330. Problem solved.

wmj259 05-24-18 01:01 AM

If you have a laptop and $25.00 you can buy yourself a very good OBD reader. Look into Toyota Techstream.

Richardsr 05-24-18 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by wmj259 (Post 10206708)
If you have a laptop and $25.00 you can buy yourself a very good OBD reader. Look into Toyota Techstream.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00W9...op_mb_pd_title

Just bought an Autel AL329.