Bought it for $300 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Bought it for $300

Old 04-16-18, 05:06 AM
dajain
Driver School Candidate

Default Bought it for $300

Good Morning Lexus owners. I an new to the group and this is my first Lexus. It is a 2000 Lexus ES300 Platinum Edition. Yes, I did buy it for $300 because the transmission will not shift past 3rd gear and she wanted it out of the yard.

I just picked it up yesterday and noticed a "knock" coming from the motor. Ran the codes and found code Po302.

Found the #2 ignition coil to be faulty. First pulled the coil and spark plug. Found oil in the spark plug tube. Cleaned out and made mental note to repair leak later. Put back together, started the vehicle. Still knocking and code comes back. While running, I unplugged the #2 coil power wires. No change in motor RPM. Pulled the #4 coil power wires and RPM drop does happen. Shut the car off and swapped the #2 and #4 ignition coils. Started back up and pulled the #2 coil wires and RPM drop does happen. Pulled the #4 coil wires and no RPM drop.
Conclusion, the coil pack wiring harness is not faulty but the original #2 coil is faulty. Now waiting on parts to get delivered.

So, back to my original question. The transmission and shift problem. I have done a little research on this and I am hoping for the best mind you. I have read if the car's computer senses a lack of power coming from the motor it will put the trans. into a limp mode and only allow 1,2 & 3 gears to engage.

Is this true?

Any other ideas what it may be? The was parked over a year ago because of the shifting issue. It is not worth a new transmission as the car is not in immaculate shape. I figure maybe a good commuter car, first care, put it up for sale if I can fix it or part it out if it is a too expensive of a repair.

Of course I am hoping this is the issue, but know there may be solenoid issues, bad transmission, electrical etc, but wouldn't I get other codes then. Only one is the #2 cylinder.

Last edited by dajain; 04-16-18 at 05:45 AM.
Old 04-16-18, 06:23 AM
crwys
Pole Position

You may be in luck. A miss fire will cause the car not to shift past 3rd gear. So I would reset the codes or disconnect the battery to reset them. Then start the car and let it warm up (it also won't shift past 3rd if its cold) and see if it will shift correctly.

or simply fix the problem now and see. It may pick up the miss fire code too fast for you to check and engage limp mode again, I'm not sure
Old 04-16-18, 06:43 AM
dajain
Driver School Candidate

So, the info I read is correct then. Thanks for the confirmation crwys! I have a new injector on it's way and I'll see what it does then. Until then, I think a tune up is in order. It has been sitting for over a year.

I would be tickled pink if a $23 part is all that is wrong with it.
Old 04-16-18, 07:00 AM
wmj259
Rookie

You could also fix the valve cover gasket if there's oil in the sparkplug chamber.
The Following User Says Thank You to wmj259 For This Useful Post:
dajain (04-16-18)
Old 04-16-18, 07:10 AM
RXGS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not saying this is your problwm, but when my car wouldn't shift into its final gear, as if O/D was turned off, it was the result of the knock sensor
Old 04-16-18, 07:27 AM
dajain
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXGS View Post
I'm not saying this is your problwm, but when my car wouldn't shift into its final gear, as if O/D was turned off, it was the result of the knock sensor
But it isn't the final gear as I have read it is a 5 speed transmission including the overdrive. Maybe I read wrong on that?
Old 04-16-18, 07:31 AM
RXGS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dajain View Post
But it isn't the final gear as I have read it is a 5 speed transmission including the overdrive. Maybe I read wrong on that?
These are 4 speed transmissions, 5 speed automatics weren't around until 2002. Again, not saying this is the problem, but may be related. Usually when these transmissions implode, which isn't all that rare, they go completely, at least from what I have seen.
The Following User Says Thank You to RXGS For This Useful Post:
dajain (04-16-18)
Old 04-16-18, 07:44 AM
dajain
Driver School Candidate

And it all may be related to the bad coil on #2.
No ignition on #2 causing the engine to knock.
Knock sensor is working properly telling he ECM something is wrong.
ECM puts transmission into limp mode and wont go past 3rd gear.
We will see

My thinking seems like this is self defeating. I would think it would limit the engine rpm's instead of how fast you can move. Who wants to run a knocking engine until redline to reach hwy speeds. Seems the engineers didn't think that one thru well enough. haha

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: