ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Breaks are coming on and I'm not touching the pedal

Old 11-09-17, 06:20 PM
sdnorton
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Breaks are coming on and I'm not touching the pedal

You
I have a 2001 Lexus ES300. I had a problem with my breaks where the car would apply the breaks like tapping the peddle but I wasn't. The the dash lights would flash really fast, Trac Off like stayed on and ABS light. mechanic said breaks were all low and needed replaced so got 4 new rotors and pads. The the breaks felt low and spongy, took it back and they said the front break pads and rotors had turned Blue from over heating. I had only driven it 10 miles. So they replaced them with a higher end parts. Back breaks were fine. This was 2 weeks ago. I moved 200 miles away and everything was fine. Then today the same thing started happening. I don't have a repair shop to take it to yet, but wanted to get input before I do. I'm in a small town and who knows if they are any good. Also, after it did this a few times the car died. Did this before I had the breaks fixed too.
Old 11-09-17, 09:25 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,682 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Brakes not breaks.

This can be caused by slide pins that are seized, bad calipers, bad ABS sensors, collapsed brake lines (not common). A failing alternator and/or battery can also cause the brakes to act up.
Old 11-10-17, 06:38 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like your mechanic doesn't know what is going on.
If your brakes are overheating, then something is seized in the brake (i.e. pistons, slide pins, ebrake cable, etc). Putting in higher end parts does not fix sized issue.
Old 11-10-17, 10:16 AM
sdnorton
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sdnorton
You
I have a 2001 Lexus ES300. I had a problem with my breaks where the car would apply the breaks like tapping the peddle but I wasn't. The the dash lights would flash really fast, Trac Off like stayed on and ABS light. mechanic said breaks were all low and needed replaced so got 4 new rotors and pads. The the breaks felt low and spongy, took it back and they said the front break pads and rotors had turned Blue from over heating. I had only driven it 10 miles. So they replaced them with a higher end parts. Back breaks were fine. This was 2 weeks ago. I moved 200 miles away and everything was fine. Then today the same thing started happening. I don't have a repair shop to take it to yet, but wanted to get input before I do. I'm in a small town and who knows if they are any good. Also, after it did this a few times the car died. Did this before I had the breaks fixed too.
Sorry, brakes!
Old 11-10-17, 10:22 AM
sdnorton
Driver School Candidate

I don't know what a slid pin is. The mechanic who checked it out and did the work is a good mechanic. They did mention if its the ABS it could cost a lot of money.
When the front breaks and rotors turned blue they said they have never seen that happen before but had read about it. They didn't replace the Cailpers just lubed them.Paperwork says brakes pads w/hardware. Is the pin part of the hardware?
Old 11-10-17, 10:34 AM
sdnorton
Driver School Candidate

Got my paperwork out and I see that there was 2 error codes stored in the computer: ABS code C0236 open/short circuit in hydraulic break booster solenoid. And, C1233 fault in ABS control system.
Old 11-10-17, 11:03 AM
sdnorton
Driver School Candidate

Got my paperwork out and I see that there was 2 error codes stored in the computer: ABS code C0236 open/short circuit in hydraulic break booster solenoid. And, C1233 fault in ABS control system.
Old 11-10-17, 11:31 AM
sdnorton
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BDSL
Sounds like your mechanic doesn't know what is going on.
If your brakes are overheating, then something is seized in the brake (i.e. pistons, slide pins, ebrake cable, etc). Putting in higher end parts does not fix sized issue.
The brakes are not seizing, they sometimes will engage by them selves.
I read my repair paperwork and there were 2 codes listed in the computer for the ABS, and my mechanic didn't tell me about them and I didn't read it. I wasn't able to pay the full amount they quoted me and their church paid $150 of the bill and I paid $350. So I was too busy thanking them. Now I need to find someone who will help me and let me make payments. But I want to be aware of what the problem could be so I don't get taken.
Old 11-10-17, 08:34 PM
nsghtbrwry
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

This is a rare failure mode, but I think if you send the ABS computer off to an eBay rebuilder, it should solve your problem.

The early gen1 Siennas had similar problems (I service a family member's '02). A quality rebuild solved the problem for good.

I'm not sure if you can drive the car around with the ABS computer out (as in, if fluid will leak?)...I didn't on the '02 Sienna. I recently sent off a Kelsey-Hayes unit on a 2001 Yukon for rebuild, and that one you could definitely drive around without the computer.
Old 11-12-17, 05:41 PM
Codyboob20
Driver School Candidate

Default Brakes coming on without touching pedal

Put car on lift or jack up all 4 tires. Make sure all tires will turn freely. Start car. Don’t touch brakes. Let run for about ten minutes. If tires won’t turn your master cylinder is bad. This problem drove me crazy. Everyone was saying it was the pins, the brake lines. Etc. The front end would shake out of control after about ten minutes on the highway. Master cylinder was about 100 bucks and took about an hour to replace. I hope this helps. It’s been two years and the car is a pleasure to drive now.