ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

'02-'05 ES Transmission Fix!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-06, 08:04 AM
oneself
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah. I just drove ithard the past couple nights. Fact is, its just not a smooth transmission, and thats the bottom line. Its not broke, it just was never good.
Old 10-09-06, 09:14 AM
woodgrain
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oneself
yeah. I just drove ithard the past couple nights. Fact is, its just not a smooth transmission, and thats the bottom line. Its not broke, it just was never good.
Did you confirm that your car already has had the fix (checking sticker in engine compartment)? I think my factory 03 is smooth, so I'm expecting you have already had the fix that makes it lurch and jerk... Just curious.

jt
Old 10-10-06, 04:59 AM
aminklein
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus Repurchase

Lexus finally sent me the formal offer to repurchase my car. I spent the last year filing numerous complaints, and finally my lemon law complaint to the MA attorney general got some results. Although Lexus insists that it is a voluntary repurchase, they followed the Lemon law formula in determining the repurchase price. Basically they are giving me a total refund, including all associated expenses. I pay only a small amount for miles driven. It did take a year to get results, but once the process started, Lexus was very cooperative and accomodating. Lesson - take advantage of your state Lemon Law, it it has one.
Old 10-16-06, 11:18 AM
oneself
Driver School Candidate

Hmmm I bought mine well below Retail I wonder if they will give me the proper amount for it...
Old 11-16-06, 10:45 AM
copy252
Driver

welp, as you all know, i had the re flash done in August and HATE IT! my tranny wines like its going to pop, it shifts so jerky, i feel like im in a 1945 ford, and heres the kicker.... when i put it in drive or reverse after being parked 5-10-15 minutes, i get a crunching/ grinding noise at about 2 rpm. ALSO! it has slipped 2-3 times from 3rd to 4th gear since the re flashing. i wish i would have read this thread before buying this 2002 es300 in July of 06. I really do like the car. its def the most luxerious car ive ever owned (and i have had infiniti's, Acuras, etc) but the trannys got me so worried that about to just trade it in and get something else. Most likely a TL or an Accord or something. at least i wont be worried anymore. i have an APPT with Inskip lexus on the 27th of November. I told them about this clunk, the wining, and the slippage. im NOT trying to pay for ANYTHING seeing all this started when the tranny was reflashed. are there any tips, resourses, etc for me to bring in so i can fight them when they give me a bill? thanks ppl!
Old 12-14-06, 09:20 AM
rixhobbies
Driver School Candidate

Default 2002 ES300 - Tranny flash or no?

I have a 2002 ES300. I bought it used with 44k miles on it. I love the car, but I notice that when driving 5 to 10 mph and I step on the gas even lightly, it tends to jerk. I don't know if it's downshifting or what, but it's nice and smooth any other time.

It looks like the flash would address this, but it sounds like a lot of you are seeing bad side effects. I'm not an agressive driver and don't race the car or anything. It's just that when you have passengers and you're trying to give them a nice smooth ride in the car, it's a little odd to see their heads jerk back when you're drivng so slow.

It happens in bumper to bumper traffic or when slowing to make a turn, etc.

So, should I flash it or just leave well enough alone?

Rick
Old 12-14-06, 09:34 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rixhobbies
I have a 2002 ES300. I bought it used with 44k miles on it. I love the car, but I notice that when driving 5 to 10 mph and I step on the gas even lightly, it tends to jerk. I don't know if it's downshifting or what, but it's nice and smooth any other time.

It looks like the flash would address this, but it sounds like a lot of you are seeing bad side effects. I'm not an agressive driver and don't race the car or anything. It's just that when you have passengers and you're trying to give them a nice smooth ride in the car, it's a little odd to see their heads jerk back when you're drivng so slow.

It happens in bumper to bumper traffic or when slowing to make a turn, etc.

So, should I flash it or just leave well enough alone?

Rick
I say, DON'T reflash it! The only way I knew how to eliminate the jerkiness and hesitation was to trade the car in for an ES350! Look for my previous posts on this subject that started in the Spring of 2003.
Old 12-16-06, 04:38 PM
909dude
Driver School Candidate

Rixhobbies

I sounds like your car already has the dreaded flash. Your symptoms are exactly what I was experiencing after the latest flash on my 2002 ES. Check to see if there is a service tag underneath the hood. If the dealer flashed the computer he should (that's the operative word) have applied the white paper tag. You can also check with the dealer. They should be able to run the VIN and find out if it has been flashed

FYI. As many of you know I became so f'ing frustrated with Lexus that I bought an Infiniti M35. So far, Infiniti has gone out of there way to follow up and make sure I was satisfied. The only thing I've noticed is that I have to occasionally put gas in the car, otherwise it's flawless.
Old 12-16-06, 11:56 PM
rixhobbies
Driver School Candidate

Default Flash

When I bought the car used at a Lexus dealer, I had them run the service history on the VIN. The only thing that came up was regular services per the maintenance schedule. No repairs or anything were listed. I looked under the hood and didn't find a sticker.

The appointment I made with Lexus is for this Monday. The complaint I made was that when slowing down at 5mph then accelerating it lurches. It's enough to make my passengers noticably lash their head back. It feels like it drops to 1st gear then back up to second or something.

Anyway, after making the appointment I saw these threads. I don't even know if Lexus will do the flash or not for the problem I described, but it seems like they might. I just wanted to know what the best thing to say is if they ask me if I want the flash.

I have read so many mixed opinions on the matter, though. The car only has 45k miles on it and except for this one thing, it drives smooth and tight. A very nice car. I guess I am afraid that by doing this I'll ruin that somehow.

R
Old 12-17-06, 08:21 AM
909dude
Driver School Candidate

Rixhobbies

I'm so sorry you are experiencing this. Look back at some of my earlier posts. After having all the latest flashes on my 02 ES it functioned just as you described. In addition, I noticed that the trans held too long in each gear as it was accelerating and there was a shudder when it shifted into 5th on the freeway. The guru at my dealer told me that the trans is a "work in progress". However, the "older" cars ECM's are old computers that do not like updated programming. In other words, it's the best it is going to get. That's why I no longer own it and went to the Infiniti. I hounded Lexus corporate and they refused to provide me with any relief. I have purchased over 18 toyota/lexus vehicles in my lifetime. NO MORE! Good luck.
Old 12-17-06, 10:43 AM
rixhobbies
Driver School Candidate

From the sounds of the posters that have chimed in, none of the flashes are going to address this particular problem, so I guess I'll skip the appointment.

Oh well.
Old 12-19-06, 06:43 AM
X72
Driver School Candidate

rixhobbies, for the slow downshift in the 25-35 mph range, I just manually donwshift to 3 and then the power is good (like when I want to merge onto the freeway). Of course, I laugh at the same time as I am winding up the engine in 3rd gear and not allowing an upshift until I feel like it (take that you wicked Toyota software programmers !!)

I have a similar sensation when slowing down to about 5 to 10 mph and applying the accelerator. It feels to me like the torque convertor stays locked up too long and the car tries to stay in too high a gear to maximize fuel economy by reducing engine braking. The only solution I have is applying the throttle EXTREMELY gently until I feel the car is in the right gear to give me power, and then applying more throttle. Try varying the way you use the throttle (how quickly you let off as well as apply throttle). I have adapted to the car and gotten used to it. It is not the ideal solution I admitsince I still get an occasional jerk or rough shift. I have changed the ATF with the T-IV fluid with no change. The good news is that the fluid I drained looked clean and still smelled good (not burned), so I am not too concerned about the transmission longevity.
Old 12-21-06, 06:13 PM
rixhobbies
Driver School Candidate

Yup, that's what I am doing for the slow down to 10mph or less then accelerate problem. I am learning to do and I can minimize it, but honestly it's extremely stupid that I have to do this in a Lexus. I am basically nursing the car so it can drive smoothly. To add insult to injury, the brakes are really sensative too. It has great stopping power mind you, but you have to be very light on the peddle when you apply the brakes or they will stop the car a too well.

I'm guess it's mostly just getting used to the car.
Old 12-21-06, 06:25 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rixhobbies
Yup, that's what I am doing for the slow down to 10mph or less then accelerate problem. I am learning to do and I can minimize it, but honestly it's extremely stupid that I have to do this in a Lexus. I am basically nursing the car so it can drive smoothly. To add insult to injury, the brakes are really sensative too. It has great stopping power mind you, but you have to be very light on the peddle when you apply the brakes or they will stop the car a too well.

I'm guess it's mostly just getting used to the car.
Yes, It is stupid!!
Old 12-22-06, 10:57 AM
rixhobbies
Driver School Candidate

I guess I was hoping that the flash would at least reduce the slow to 10mph then accelerate jerking this. Since it won't, I guess I'll pass on the flash.

I'm actually shocked that I didn't notice it during my test drives. If I had, I probably would have passed on the car. It's a great car, don't get me wrong, but since the car is so smooth otherwise, this flaw really stands out.

Quick Reply: '02-'05 ES Transmission Fix!