ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Error P0016 Crankshaft Position-Camshaft Position Coorelation

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-17, 05:22 PM
BY5260
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Error P0016 Crankshaft Position-Camshaft Position Coorelation

I have an 05 ES330. It's running fine but I have a state inspection due and it won't pass because I have a light on the dashboard. I read the code that I get a P0016 error. I reset it and then start the engine and it reappears.

I changed the water pump and timing belt about 1,000 miles ago. This light appeared after that repair. I didn't worry much about it because the car runs fine. Now I can't ignore it because of safety inspection. I opened things back up and thought I'd just see if I'd jump a little when things tightened up after the timing belt replacement. I was surprised because the lines that originally appeared on my new timing belt are no longer there. I'd originally lined them up with the marks on the crank and cams. So now I'm left to wonder how to best fix this. I've taken some pictures that show (1) the current position of the crankshaft, (2) the position of the front camshaft and the rest are pictures of the rear camshaft (because it's so hard to get a good picture)

I took pictures of the rear cam from different angles. If I look at the red mark on the front of the sprocket, it's about straight up at 12:00. You'll also see some rear cam photos that show a red and a white mark on the backing plate. There's also a little red mark on the rear of the sprocket that's only visible when I"m looking at it from underneath or a certain angle. I'm not certain but I think these marks could be from a previous timing belt replacement.

If this was your situation, what would you do? I'd appreciate any help or questions that you may have.
Attachment 466429Attachment 466430Attachment 466431Attachment 466432Attachment 466433
Attached Thumbnails Error P0016 Crankshaft Position-Camshaft Position Coorelation-crank.jpg   Error P0016 Crankshaft Position-Camshaft Position Coorelation-front-cam.jpg   Error P0016 Crankshaft Position-Camshaft Position Coorelation-rear-cam1.jpg   Error P0016 Crankshaft Position-Camshaft Position Coorelation-rear-cam2.jpg   Error P0016 Crankshaft Position-Camshaft Position Coorelation-rear-cam3.jpg  

Error P0016 Crankshaft Position-Camshaft Position Coorelation-rear-cam4.jpg   Error P0016 Crankshaft Position-Camshaft Position Coorelation-rear-cam5.jpg  
Old 09-13-17, 06:24 PM
semlin
Driver School Candidate

if you want to check the timing belt, here are some on line instructions. i believe those two marks have to line up every second rotation.

http://www.tcamanual.com/timing_belt...2_fe_-645.html

but i don't think your engine would run fine for 1000 miles with the timing belt misaligned. i'd check your crankcase position sensor harness plug is properly connected and maybe replace the sensor.

you could also check engine compression and timing. neither would be correct if your belt is not on properly.
Old 09-18-17, 05:56 PM
BY5260
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your input. In case someone else has this same problem and follows this post, I'll indicate that I was able to correct the problem and the check engine light immediately went off after it was corrected and I started the engine.

After my initial quest to replace the timing belt, I felt pretty confident in getting back to the timing belt process. Unfortunately, the white marks on the new timing belt were gone. I'd saved the original (old) belt and the marks were still present. With some help I placed the old belt along side the installed belt. I started at the forward cam and brought it back to the rear cam. Using the marks on the cam sprockets, I found that the rear cam was off by one notch. I loosened the tensioner (worst part of the repair) and then removed the timing belt. Using the old belt, I remarked the new belt with some white paint. I then reinstalled it. Prior to reinstalling, I did get the timing marks all correct on the crank and the camshafts. After putting the belt on the crankshaft, I used a clamp to hold it in place. I then did the same to the front camshaft. Getting the belt on the rear camshaft wasn't easy but I eventually did it. I then clamped it. I placed a ratchet on the front cam and pull very slightly to get tension everywhere from the crankshaft to the rear camshaft. The only slight play was in the area by the tensioner (that I hadn't yet released). I held my breath and let the tensioner go. Everything seemed to stay right where I need it. Having the white lines on the timing belt was key for me. I think in the future I'll buy Gates belts as the lines stayed visible on it. After removing the clamps, I started the engine and it was running great and the check engine light was off. Oh, there is one other thing that I did that may have helped; down on the crankshaft there is a part that bolts with one bolt that hangs over onto the crankshaft sprocket area. I don't know if this would be considered part of the camshaft sensor or not. There are no wires running to it. I recalled that I'd bent it slightly during my initial timing belt installation. I very carefully bent it back so it was parallel with the sprocket. I don't know what this part is called and I could post a picture if someone is interested.

Edited; I just had to look it up.... the part that I reference above "part that bolts with one bolt that hangs over onto the crankshaft sprocket area" is called Timing Belt Plate. You can only see this after you remove the Crankshaft Pulley. It is somewhat sensitive so be careful and don't bend it. If you do, make sure you get it back into proper position.

Last edited by BY5260; 09-18-17 at 06:03 PM.