ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2002–2006 Lexus ES300 ES330 other models factory transmission/accel "Lag fix"

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-17, 10:02 PM
manpdhi1
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2002–2006 Lexus ES300 ES330 other models factory transmission/accel "Lag fix"

Please don't flag this post. I am new to club lexus. to get help and help out. Not for Sale ad

***** Try mode P2.1 on Lexus ES. Mode P3.1 is for extreme racing 😈😀

How to fix 2002–2006 Lexus ES300 ES330 other models factory transmission/acceleration Lag fix:

Starting in 2002 Toyota Lexus started to switch to "drive by wire" system on its cars. The accelerator/gas pedal became sensor that sends digital signal to ECM and then ECM controls other functions based on that like how fast and how wide the throttle opens and transmission shifting. In early design like 2002-2006 es300 es330 camry others,Toyota simply took its old TPS sensor that were mounted on throttle bodies and placed it on accelerator pedal. From factory this sensor was set to give slow reading to ECM, not sufficient for drive by wire system. Current Updated Accelerator pedals use magnetic sensor on pedal and driver is given option buttons on dashboard like ECO, SPORT, Normal etc. to tune the ecm. On older gen. like 2002-2006 Es300 330 customers right away and to this day notice LAG/Unresponsive acceleration and gear shifting. "speedkar99" youtuber called this phenomenon the "lag tard" on club Lexus. When I got my 2005 Lexus Es330 in San Jose, California as used car, I also noticed this lag in acceleration and weird transmission as many others complaint same. I did many things like change accelerator pedal, full tune up, transmission fluid flushes and reset ecm. All these helped but not fix factory design problem, the pedal sensor is too slow to give reading to ecm. Last solution: I always wanted to try the throttle controller modules that plug into pedal sensor like Buddy Club: http://www.buddyclubuk.com/acatalog/BC-ETB-FN-FD2.jpg and apexi, sprint booster etc. but they were too expensive for my budget. One day, I went on alibaba.com and chat with seller in china that sells "9-drive throttle controller" ask me for seller if needed. I sent them photo of my 2005 Lexus es330 accelerator pedal connector photo: https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1wvq9O...-Connector.jpg and paid on paypal and seller ship me 9-drive controller from hong kong to San Jose, California in 3-4 days DHL.

Unit price: $45/pc.

Shipping cost: $19by DHL within 3-5 working days you will received.

Paypal fee: $2.82

Total price: $66.82

***unit price can be negotiated to $35 I think***

I simply plug n play the module on accelerator pedal. They send you the correct connector based on your car. There are various models out of china/hong kong. After the install my Lexus "WAKE UP" after many years. I can put it in Eco, Normal(factory), Normal + , sport, race modes. In each mode you can pick 9 levels thus 9-drive. You plug in small module on pedal sensor then install tiny controller on dashboard. I put my es330 on P2.1 which is sport begin mode and my lexus response to tiny touch on pedal. THE CAR JUST WAKE UP and drives like new with no lag. In eco mode the rpm move very slow in response to pedal and in sport rpm move right way to pedal movement thus no lag. U can put it in nor/factory mode also just with touch of button. The module tunes reading coming out of pedal sensor. No more, when you press pedal and ecm thinks what should I do and then responds. I been using this for while and No check engine light. I highly recommend throttle booster/controller for cars after you have tried everything else like me. Please look for sport, eco, normal buttons on newer model cars on dashboard. ASK ME A QUESTION FOR ADDITIONAL INFO. email: manpdhi1@yahoo.com

2005 Lexus ES330

Controller hidden in coin compartment

NORMAL MODE

ECO MODE (9 levels)

NORMAL PLUS+ MODE (9 levels)

SPORT MODE (9 levels)

RACE MODE (9 levels)

THROTTLE CONTROLLER MODULE between pedal sensor and factory connector, wire routed under dashboard to display in coin compartment

Disclaimer: I am not in any way responsible for the product and are simply trying to convey information to help others

Last edited by manpdhi1; 09-24-17 at 10:12 AM. Reason: update info
The following 4 users liked this post by manpdhi1:
djr48312 (12-10-23), lxsnb (01-07-22), Schoolinu (09-19-17), Tonya257 (05-07-21)
Old 08-13-17, 04:29 AM
mbogosia
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting. Do you feel a pretty big difference compared to stock? How about between mode 1 and mode 9?
Old 08-13-17, 07:14 AM
manpdhi1
Driver School Candidate

Default Yes, big response, no lag

Answer: yes there is pretty big difference.

Modes:

Nor = factory setting

EC = Economy 1thru 9 levels. rpm move very slow in response to pedal. Worse than factory response/more lag

P1.1 they call it comfort mode, I call it Normal plus mode. I like P1.5 setting as it is step up from factory mode. This has 1 thru 9 levels also. Least to most responsive

P2.1 Sport mode with 1 thru 9 levels. Quick acceleration

P3.1 Race mode 1 thru 9 levels. Rpm hits 4,000 with just pedal touch to race
The following users liked this post:
Schoolinu (09-19-17)
Old 08-13-17, 04:08 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I guess I am just curious how exactly I can get one of these for my ES? I am not real clear on your instructions.
The following 2 users liked this post by ArmyofOne:
manpdhi1 (08-20-17), Tonya257 (05-07-21)
Old 08-13-17, 09:06 PM
manpdhi1
Driver School Candidate

Army of one, please send me email at manpdhi1@yahoo.com so I can forward how to buy the product. I had sent instructions to someone else also, I will forward

Thanks
Old 08-24-17, 02:30 PM
JB04es330
Driver School Candidate

Default In the setting you prefer

Originally Posted by manpdhi1
Answer: yes there is pretty big difference.

Modes:

Nor = factory setting

EC = Economy 1thru 9 levels. rpm move very slow in response to pedal. Worse than factory response/more lag

P1.1 they call it comfort mode, I call it Normal plus mode. I like P1.5 setting as it is step up from factory mode. This has 1 thru 9 levels also. Least to most responsive

P2.1 Sport mode with 1 thru 9 levels. Quick acceleration

P3.1 Race mode 1 thru 9 levels. Rpm hits 4,000 with just pedal touch to race
- have you seen a difference in gas mileage , in the setting you prefer ?
Old 08-29-17, 06:00 PM
manpdhi1
Driver School Candidate

It depends on individual driver for gas mileage and how their foot leads on pedal. Obviously the P3.1 Race Mode will use more gas because rpm shoot very high in response to pedal and throttle opens wide. You can try Eco mode as it will be better for gas saving than factory mode, if you don't mind lag in this mode for where(location) you drive. You might like it. That is why this module offers different modes to try out.
Old 08-30-17, 07:17 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Great to see that someone has tried a throttle controller on these cars. There's a thread in the Camry forums of people trying it on the Gen 6 2007+ Camry.

Originally Posted by manpdhi1
"speedkar99" youtuber called this phenomenon the "lag tard" on club Lexus.
Haha nice one. I think I called it "lag bert" but yea, that was the main reason I got rid of my ES330.

Not to say my GS350 does have some lag, especially going up hill, but its not as bad as the 4ES was.

Another point: not all vehicles with the 3.3L and drive by wire have the lag as bad as the Lexus ES330. My dad's 3.3L Sienna has some lag, but its not as bad as my 4ES used to be and its bearable. (The engine however is under-powered for that size of vehicle but that is another story). We also don't find as big complaints on the Camry and Solara forums as we do in Lexus forums about the lag.
Old 09-09-17, 01:21 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Can you tell me a bit more about how this throttle controller functions in the ES?
Is the initial lag almost gone when you touch the pedal? What about the lag when the tranny decides to downshift in stop and go traffic?

I'm looking for an older Camry, and went to go see a 2004 with the 3.3L engine. In stop and go traffic it didn't have that lurch, but there was ALOT of lag when you touch the pedal compared to when the car responds.
Old 09-11-17, 08:06 PM
manpdhi1
Driver School Candidate

speedkar99,
I have been following you on Youtube, great Toyota/Lexus videos. I think 2004 Camry can benefit from throttle controller module. The one I tried costs like $60 if you want to give it a shot. Concept is that module tunes digits coming from sensor and how they are delivered to ECM. Like the "ECO" and "Sport" buttons on dashboard of new cars.
Schoolinu (09-19-17)
Old 09-16-17, 04:33 AM
Ipaman
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ended up getting one of these and I am very happy with the results. It definitely changes the throttle response. I am settled one setting 2.1 for now.

Also I was amazed that it came from Hong Kong to me in under 4 days via dhl.
Old 09-17-17, 05:57 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ipaman
I ended up getting one of these and I am very happy with the results. It definitely changes the throttle response. I am settled one setting 2.1 for now.

Also I was amazed that it came from Hong Kong to me in under 4 days via dhl.
Great, what year is your ES?
Does it solve the transmission being slow or clueless to shift in stop and go traffic?
Old 09-18-17, 05:09 AM
Ipaman
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I would say 100%. I am using setting 2.1 and really like it. It took a bit getting used to it because the gas pedal reacts so much faster now. I'm also loving how much quicker it will downshift when I am cruising and need some more power.
djr48312 (11-19-21)
Old 09-18-17, 11:35 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

Where did the posts Lexus2000 and I made on this thread go?

We both made posts in the last 24 hours, now they are disappeared?

I something we said - and I don't view either of us as radical commentators - too harsh for the reading public?
Old 09-23-17, 01:13 PM
Schoolinu
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the posts, I just ordered a 9-drive. I was wondering, what is the driving difference between AAA and SSS? I couldn’t find any information on the manufacturers website.

Art

Quick Reply: 2002–2006 Lexus ES300 ES330 other models factory transmission/accel "Lag fix"