ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.
View Poll Results: Master tint thread
0%
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Official ES Tint Thread - add your pics here!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-03, 09:02 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

limo is usually 5%. i would have gone darker if i had a darker color car, but i went for 35, the darkest legal here in NC.
Old 03-20-03, 01:21 PM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WELCOME!!!!!!!!!

You've asked a question I'd love to answer!

First off, in Illinois, any level of tint is LEGAL on all windows behind the driver. However, absolutely no tint may be placed in front of or alongside the driver.

Most sedans look goofy with just the rear three windows tinted. Thus, many people risk it, like I once did, and tint all the windows. Don't do this! I don't know where you live, but in the North Shore cops don't have much to worry about, so they target the youth an pull them over for things such as tint. Age plays a factor too. My parents have limo tint on two of our cars, and cops let them go, with no tickets (but they do get pulled over).

My setup is 21% on the rear three windows, 55% on the front sides, and 5% on the top portion of the windshield. This way, the all windows look tinted when the car is looked at from angles. Most people haven't been able to notice the lighter tint up front until they look at the car from the side.

I have not been pulled over in the last six months with this setup. Many people in the Chicago area have a similiar setup as well. I recommend it.

I had my tint done at AB Automotive in Chicago, IL. Their materials were of outstanding quality, and the job was done in a couple hours. The tint is UV & scratch resistant, and their work is backed by a lifetime warranty.

Pics of my tint are in this link:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=xenons

GOOD LUCK!!
Old 03-21-03, 09:40 AM
jdoballer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice job with the tint xenon.it's the same way in jersey no tint on the front window's,but any on the rear one's.im going with the same setup dark in the rear and light up front.

D
Old 03-21-03, 10:42 AM
Baby Lex
Driver

Welcome to Club Lexus. Something similar was posted the other day. If I were you I'd check the local shops or the Police Station to see what is "legal" in you county/state. Some places do differ. I have limo all around with the exception of the ffront windshield. It's not legal for road use in my county and won't pass inspection, but I have ways around that. I knew the techs in the shop and got a great price for $150. Can't remember what type of film used. But isn't that purple crap. It's real dark but with a soft mettalic look. Carries a lifetime warranty against a lot, like bubbles, cracks, fading out or whatever. Check around and let us know what percentages you go with.
Attached Thumbnails Official ES Tint Thread - add your pics here!-262269_74_full.jpg  

Last edited by Baby Lex; 03-21-03 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-24-03, 04:48 AM
jdoballer
Driver School Candidate

nice pics. a lex sittin on some lexani's,nice touch.

D
Old 03-24-03, 06:17 AM
Lexboi99
Driver School Candidate

Once i get my Lexus i'm gonna get it tinted too....i'm not positve what the legal limits are exactly in NY i just know that u can have it up front but there is more of a limit than u have on the back.....i may just stick with the legal limit to avoid the whole situation with the police....i don't think it'll look too bad with lighter up front than in the rear
Old 03-24-03, 07:32 AM
Baby Lex
Driver

You stay upstate right? I don't think the cops would even bother you if you weren't in the legal limits.
Old 03-24-03, 11:09 PM
Bluesman
Driver

Thanks for the reply Xenon,

After further research, I have found that your post is correct with the exception of the fact that reflective (metallic) tint is illegal as well in Illinois. I took a look at your link and we have the same car w/o the tints of course. The tints look good. Did you consider bronze tints by any chance ? I'm thinking that may go well w/ the cashmire color. Do you mind if I ask how much you paid for them ? It appears that the going rate seems to be some where in the $150 - $200 range. It appears to me that tints really bring out the need for chrome wheels. I may end up waiting until I can afford to do both.

BTW, I live in Cook County, but I used to work in Lake County. Lake County cops are all about revenue. I try and avoid the area when I can.

Last edited by Bluesman; 03-24-03 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-27-03, 09:20 AM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Bluesman
Thanks for the reply Xenon,

After further research, I have found that your post is correct with the exception of the fact that reflective (metallic) tint is illegal as well in Illinois. I took a look at your link and we have the same car w/o the tints of course. The tints look good. Did you consider bronze tints by any chance ? I'm thinking that may go well w/ the cashmire color. Do you mind if I ask how much you paid for them ? It appears that the going rate seems to be some where in the $150 - $200 range. It appears to me that tints really bring out the need for chrome wheels. I may end up waiting until I can afford to do both.

BTW, I live in Cook County, but I used to work in Lake County. Lake County cops are all about revenue. I try and avoid the area when I can.
No problem at all.

Metallic/Reflective tint is illegal, but the RX300 and QX4 have changed that in the minds of cops.

I considered bronze tint, but was told by some tint experts that bronze tints lack the UV filters that smoke tints have, and therefore begin to fade into a "pinkish" color after some years.

I paid $250 for all six windows. It would have been $225 but I had the front windshield done. Where did you find prices in the $150-200 range? Most places I've checked with are $250++++. Car Boutique wants $320!!!!!!!

I live in Cook County too. I live in the Wilmette- Winnetka area (lakeside). Where in Cook do you live?

Yeah, I know what you mean about chromes on our cars' color. I wish I had the $$$$ for them

good luck!!!
Old 03-27-03, 12:12 PM
Bluesman
Driver

I live by the Des Plaines\Park Ridge area. I used to work in Highwood.

I gave my price estimate based on what I've read on CL. It seems that is what most have paid. Perhaps prices are higher in the Chicagoland area ? Crap.
Old 04-14-03, 04:19 PM
Mr_Mollari
Driver School Candidate

Cool Tint Time!

I'm going up to Sherman Oaks tomorrow to get a 5-window tint done. I am thinking of going with either 20% rears and 35% fronts, or 35% all around.

I don't have any real desire to go super dark all-around, and I might even go with the chrome tint that was in a previous post by FrankWhite (My car's that greyish silver-green color, Antique Sage Pearl Metallic, so I think it would be a nice match). It seems like it would look fine either way, so I'll also factor in what the installer thinks to go with.

Last edited by Mr_Mollari; 04-18-03 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-14-03, 07:29 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

let me know what you get for a price.
I meet with my detailer on Wed to look at possible options for tinitng.
I'll post the price. It is pretty competative in Boston.

steviej
Old 04-15-03, 03:45 AM
Mr_Mollari
Driver School Candidate

Question

I also had a quick question for those of you that have already tinted:

I was looking at the rear windshield/deck, and I noticed that the rear "3rd" light assembly is not flush with the glass, i.e. you could fit tint onto the rear windshield back there. Here's the question: should this area get tinted in, and if so, how much light loss from the 3rd light is there??

This could factor into my decision, probably making 35% all around the way to go. I'm also going to run it by the installer later today, I don't think he completely understood what I told him about it on the phone. TIA
Old 04-15-03, 08:39 PM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

You can tint over the 3rd brake light. Light loss is minimal.

I recommend 20% on the rear and 35% up front. I don't like it when people can see what's going on inside my car
Old 04-16-03, 12:09 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yep, you can get the rear fully tinted. the brake light lights up anyway...and you have your regular brake lights too. just get on the 405 freeway and check out other people's rear window tints in all that marvelous stop and slow traffic.

let us know which % tint you decide to go with.

Last edited by meZoom!; 04-16-03 at 12:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Official ES Tint Thread - add your pics here!